Gun Safes

Well the past couple years have been good for my collection and bad for my current gun cabinet. With several more purchases waiting in the wings, I have to bite the bullet and upgrade the safe. Currently just have a Sentry 5 gun cabinet. I'm figuring on something in the medium range of 12-16 guns. I don't want to spend a shit ton either. Should be a basic model. It does not need to withstand nuclear attack; just a common sense security/protection type safe.

Suggestions??? I figure my budget is $400-$600.

For that price range, Dick's had some 48 gun safes. Check them out and if you apply for their credit card you get another 10% off. If you don't want anything special, just a good secure safe most of the discount stores have sales especially now. Remember Ma. there is no sales tax on gun safes.

For that price range, Dick's had some 48 gun safes. Check them out and if you apply for their credit card you get another 10% off. If you don't want anything special, just a good secure safe most of the discount stores have sales especially now. Remember Ma. there is no sales tax on gun safes.
This.

I got 32 + 6 safe from Dicks last year on Black Friday.

Walked out with the safe for $519. Had a coupon and opened an credit card.

Nice safe. I personally like the turn dial.

I got one of these last year and then another this year (my gun collection seems to be growing at an alarming rate)

Paid $699 out the door each time. They aren't quite as robust as the Winchesters but signifigantly larger capacity and certainly strong enough for what they need to do and much better than Stackon products IMHO. I bolted both down into the concrete and put a light kit and dehumidifier into each. They have internal power, USB and network ports and are a great deal for that kind of money.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/cannon-ts6040dlx-wide-body-safe-48-gun-capacity

I have this one. One big problem - not big enough.

I was in tractor supply sunday looking at this safe, my dog was leaning towards one of the other ones there though
attachment.php

how much are you actually fitting in there, curious

Attachments

• dog safe.jpg
    dog safe.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 402
Just remember the current situation you are in when choosing your next safe. Makes no sense to buy something that will work for you now. You need to have one with space to grow your collection, which it will. I've always been told to buy the biggest safe you can afford. Words that have worked well for me as I still have some room left to grow into with my current safe.

remember to take into account where it's going...dimensions, weight anchor points may play a factor depending how and where you plan to put it in your house

You will NEVER fit 16 guns into a "16 gun" safe, unless you shoehorn them in, with complete disregard for gun finishes, sights and optics, and mounted accessories.

I bought the winchester 24 gun from Tractor Supply on Black Friday. I like it. Its not big enough though, they never are. I am leaning more towards multiple manageable sized safes and not 1 giant one for the future though.

- - - Updated - - -

You will NEVER fit 16 guns into a "16 gun" safe, unless you shoehorn them in, with complete disregard for gun finishes, sights and optics, and mounted accessories.

Agreed, especially if some have optics. I have 15 long guns packed into my 24 gun safe and I am not sure I could add a 16th. Getting at the ones in the back is a PITA.

I took the "guts" out of my safe and store all the guns in soft bags like this:
ALN269-46_1.jpg

I got the bags on sale. They're $6.86 here: http://www.manventureoutpost.com/pr...Scoped-Rifle-Earthtone-Soft-46"-269%2d46.html

The bags prevent safe rash, and double or triple the capacity of the safe. Just be sure they're clean, dry, and oiled before putting them away.

I keep the safe in a climate-controlled room, with a safe rod to keep it warm.

Last edited:
ALN269-46_1.jpg

I got the bags on sale. They're $6.86 here: http://www.manventureoutpost.com/pr...Scoped-Rifle-Earthtone-Soft-46"-269%2d46.html

The bags prevent safe rash, and double or triple the capacity of the safe. Just be sure they're clean, dry, and oiled before putting them away.

This is the way to go. I use a soft case as protection for every second gun. I leave the cases unzipped as much as possible, without compromising the protection, to allow for some airflow.

That is a great deal on cases you found there! 46" is a little short for 26", or longer, barreled shotguns, but they would work fine as a not quite long enough, protective "sleeve". Good find!

ALN269-46_1.jpg

Why wouldn't you use a gun sock to achieve the same effect without taking up that much room? Do gun sock not provide enough protection?

I was very disappointed when I looked up gun safe opening videos. For just $100 more they could make a safe 10x stronger...

Then people would buy the cheaper model. Most buy the biggest safe for the lowest cost. I wish i could efford a big safe with 1/4 inch walls.

Last edited:
Field and stream 32+6 which is really a stack on at dicks for $599. Bought it brought it home hauled it up stairs across house and.... it doesn't open!

- - - Updated - - -

So I can only tell you what the outside looks like

Field and stream 32+6 which is really a stack on at dicks for $599. Bought it brought it home hauled it up stairs across house and.... it doesn't open!

- - - Updated - - -

So I can only tell you what the outside looks like

At least what is in it is safe.

Why wouldn't you use a gun sock to achieve the same effect without taking up that much room? Do gun sock not provide enough protection?

For about $2 more than the cost of a gun sock, you can have a gun case that you can also use to take the gun to the range, stow it in your trunk, etc. Gun socks would protect the guns and take up less room in the safe, but then I'd need a closet to store all the gun cases. Go with whatever path works for you.

I use my guns, so they get carried to the range, cleaned and oiled fairly regularly. Mine is a teaching collection, so I need enough cases to take the whole pile to the range. Guys who only take a few of their guns to the range might be better served with gun socks and a few cases.

For long term storage and rust prevention, see the video here:
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...iple-tough-premium-storage-bags-prod1154.aspx.
I'd do that if I had a gun I didn't plan to shoot, clean, and oil regularly.

Warning: Midway says that long-term storage in a case can lead to corrosion and damage the gun's finish. I imagine that happens when high humidity and temperature fluctuations lead to condensation. My guns are in a climate controlled space, and they're regularly cleaned and oiled, so I think I'm OK in this regard. But when Larry Potterfield says to watch out, I listen. YMMV.

Last edited:
I'm with fd1266 on this... after reading up on this gun safe review site and seeing those videos, I've decided to go with a Sturdy safe. It isn't cheap but it'll provide more protection than the more readily available safes. Make sure you have a dedicated place to store your safe where it can't be tipped or moved without structural damage to your house, and bolt it down well.

Back
Top Bottom