Gun safes

Ok we'll been looking for a while best price I have found so far is 449 for a 24 gun fire rated safe at bjs. Anyone know anywhere else that has a better deal thanks. Ed

Ok we'll been looking for a while best price I have found so far is 449 for a 24 gun fire rated safe at bjs. Anyone know anywhere else that has a better deal thanks. Ed
That is a pretty small and basic low-end "safe", but I think you understand that. As long as that's what you are looking for... and provided you don't have to pay the monster shipping fee (over $200)... it seems like a reasonable price for what you are getting. In low end "safes", I like the Winchester safe at Tractor Supply a lot better, but it is a bit more money, even when on sale.

So may threads on this, and I think there's a sticky but I'll bite anyways.

You can get a decent safe from Costco for $600 delivered. Also, if they advertise the safe as holding 40 guns, what they don't tell you is that's if you jam pack them into the entire safe after removing all the shelves. You need room for ammo too. My safe is a year old and I can barely even close it now.

Costco has a good deal on this safe now
BIGHORN 19ECB Safe

Last edited:
As for "advertised capacity" . . . I think that all mfrs base it on lever-action guns ONLY! Anything with a bolt sticking out (MN), scope on it, AR-15, etc. will greatly reduce how many long guns you can actually cram into any gun safe. BTDT.

Agreed, for the size and money, I couldn't find one comparable. There are better safes/cabinets for more $$, there are worse safes/cabinets for less $$.

Agreed, for the size and money, I couldn't find one comparable. There are better safes/cabinets for more $$, there are worse safes/cabinets for less $$.

Maybe a little off topic, but any idea how much weight a standard second floor can handle (talking 50's construction)? I have two safes separated into two rooms as I cannot put anything in may basement (too damp). All these safes get nice and heavy with guns and ammo.

Maybe a little off topic, but any idea how much weight a standard second floor can handle (talking 50's construction)? I have two safes separated into two rooms as I cannot put anything in may basement (too damp). All these safes get nice and heavy with guns and ammo.
Eastern Safe told me not to exceed 800 pounds (empty weight). Don't know if that was a floor loading thing or a stairs loading thing.

Personally, I'd be a bit more conservative than that.

I just bought a 48 gun safe 42" wide , fire rated safe from Dicks for $599.00 sale down from $899.00. Weight about 450 - 500 lbs. Not a top of line but very similar to winchester safes. Hell , I've use a double locked storage cabinet for 30 yrs, kept my kids safe but need more room now.

Bighorn from Costco is not a bad deal. Are their better safes out yes. But if your looking for basic security this one will work fine. Btw bolt down your safe, this will stop most snatch and grab thugs.

Has anyone bought a safe from Lowes and used their delivery service? I called to inquire but could not get a complete answer. The base delivery fee is $65 for "Home Delivery". I was assured that it was not curb-side delivery. The customer service agent thought there may be an additional charge to bring it down 5 steps into my basement but could not speak with the required person at the delivery company to confirm.

I was looking at the Stack-On 36-Gun Electronic/Keypad Fire Resistant Gun Safe for $1299. I see the same safe at Dick's for the same price with "White Glove" delivery for $327.

I just purchased the 8 gun Winchester safe from tractor supply.....only 329 bucks
Fit in my small SUV no problem as it only weighs 150 pounds and the clerk helped me load it up. Got it home and took only a minute to set it up.....bought the silicate desiccate can to throw in it as well. Fits my 3 shotties and .22 rifle with room to spare. Top shelf will not hold ALL of my ammo but opted to store the SHTF stuff in there and keep the target loads in my other cans......one stop shopping if you know what I mean. I wish I had not waited so long to buy a safe......before I was keeping the long guns in rifle bags with trigger locks hidden in the basement but this is much more secure and having the convenience of one combination to access all the long guns and ammo is great.

Back
Top Bottom