Gun Safes

I read somewhere once that if you put ammo in a firesafe with other valuables (guns), if there's a fire the ammo can go off before the fire compromises the safe. I'm not sure if your safe has a fire rating or not, but its good to know..

I'm planning on buying one of those metal locking office cabinets for ammo for this reason, and keep my guns in the real safe...

anyone with any experience with the "GunVault SV500 Speedvault Pistol Safe"? looking to replace the POS safe I got on sale at BPS.. lets just say that you get what you pay for....

I was hoping to score a safe this weekend and these two safes from Tractor Supply are on sale this weekend only. I know they are not top of the line safes but I was wondering if anyone had any insight or first hand knowledge on either of these. I was leaning toward the Winchester because its a little bigger, heavier, and comes with the door organizer. I think the Cannon has an outlet in it for a rod and light, but not sure about the Winchester.
Tractor Supply Online Store

I was hoping to score a safe this weekend and these two safes from Tractor Supply are on sale this weekend only. I know they are not top of the line safes but I was wondering if anyone had any insight or first hand knowledge on either of these. I was leaning toward the Winchester because its a little bigger, heavier, and comes with the door organizer. I think the Cannon has an outlet in it for a rod and light, but not sure about the Winchester.

Without looking at your link, I will say you can easily add a door organizer, but you cannot easily add an outlet for a light/rod.

The Winchester is thicker judging from the weight. The organizer is nice on the Winchester. The canon is smaller. Your call. It's a no brainier to me with the Winchester being a better buy.

FYI the Winchester will go down another fifty bucks on Black Friday typically and one of the larger cannons goes to seven hundred

Last edited:
The Winchester is thicker judging from the weight. The organizer is nice on the Winchester. The canon is smaller. Your call. It's a no brainier to me with the Winchester being a better buy.

Yes I agree, and thanks. I'm gonna check it out tomorrow.

I have the 24 gun Winchester bought at Tractor Supply. Been living with it for about 5 months now. As long as you know its not a high end safe. Its good for what it is. Keeps the kids out . And keeps the casual smash and grab thief out. Any determined bad guy will get in. The electronic lock works to quickly open it. BUT............not EMP proof. No backup key. So if the lock dies it will take a locksmith to get in. Capacity is about half of stated capacity. Door organizer is very handy. Overall for the money ($649) decent deal. Its all my small budget could afford.

Last edited:
My vote is the FAS1SAFE

I don't know if anyone has brought this one up but I love my FAS1SAFE. I was fortunate when I bought mine because they were running a promotion. I like it because it's fast to open in the dark and doesn't require any batteries or a key. If anyone is interested here's a good review with a video and discount http://redwhiteblue.co/2013/10/best-gun-safes-for-pistols/

I have the 24 gun Winchester bought at Tractor Supply. Been living with it for about 5 months now. As long as you know its not a high end safe. Its good for what it is. Keeps the kids out . And keeps the casual smash and grab thief out. Any determined bad guy will get in. The electronic lock works to quickly open it. BUT............not EMP proof. No backup key. So if the lock dies it will take a locksmith to get in. Capacity is about half of stated capacity. Door organizer is very handy. Overall for the money ($649) decent deal. Its all my small budget could afford.

Anyone here own a Fort Knox or AMSEC? Debating on getting a 72x41 or 51 and looking for user input.

Anyone here own a Fort Knox or AMSEC? Debating on getting a 72x41 or 51 and looking for user input.

FWIW, Riley's has about a dozen Fort Knox safes in their showroom.

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody know if Liberty Safe will be issuing a rebate for 2014? They had one that ran in 2012 but the 2013 rebate was just for "first responders".

Anybody know if Liberty Safe will be issuing a rebate for 2014? They had one that ran in 2012 but the 2013 rebate was just for "first responders".

I bought a Lincoln Liberty 50 from Eastern last year and they gave me a rebate form, this was Jan/Feb 2013. I think it was $100 bucks but I don't recall for sure and I'm not a first responder. Safe has been great until a month ago the lights stopped working. I pulled everything out, unplugged, replugged and no dice. I called Eastern, sent pictures and they said they emailed Liberty to see if they will replace it. I hope they do, it hasn't been a year yet..

I bought a Lincoln Liberty 50 from Eastern last year and they gave me a rebate form, this was Jan/Feb 2013. I think it was $100 bucks but I don't recall for sure and I'm not a first responder. Safe has been great until a month ago the lights stopped working. I pulled everything out, unplugged, replugged and no dice. I called Eastern, sent pictures and they said they emailed Liberty to see if they will replace it. I hope they do, it hasn't been a year yet..

Just a follow up, Liberty sent me a new light kit for my safe. It turns out the power cord/brick that plugs into the wall and the "eye" was bad.

Costco running nice deal on Safes
oos350-569035-847__4.jpg

http://www.costco.com/BIGHORN-19ECB-Safe.product.11625662.html

Lowe's has a couple of '24' gun safes on clearance for $477. They do not show up online, I saw them at the Nashua store. They both have mechanical dial locks, which I was looking for, and they are both rated for 30 minutes at 1200F. The interior fabric and shelving looked identical between the two safes.

One of them is the Centurion by Liberty, which I think is a popular safe among NESers. It has a pretty basic spin dial, and it has five (I think) flat-plate sliding bars on the lock side, and fixed bars on the hinge side. The hinges are external, so the door swings open fully, and also the door is removeable. The total weight of the safe is around 300 pounds, so without the door, is is probably pretty easy to move.

Also, the only one they had left was the floor model, and some of the lettering was peeling off. Not that this is important at all, but it's just a comment.

The other is made by First Alert. It has an S&G spin dial with a key lock to disable the dial. The key does not open the safe. The locking lugs are 1" steel bars. The safe weighs about 420 pounds, and the door does not lift off.

I was really struggling to decide between the two. The Liberty safe is American made, and has a much better warranty. It would be much easier to move into my house, and I plan on moving again in a couple of years, so that is a plus. I really liked the S&G lock on the First Alert safe, and the 1" bars vs. the flat plates.

So I picked up the First Alert safe yesterday. It took four of us to get it into my house. As we were moving it I was kicking myself for not buying the Liberty, but once I got it into position, I was happy with it.

"Easy to move" is not a desirable attribute for a safe. Then, these are both pretty light, refrigerator-dolly material. Is there any kind of lock-out warranty?

"Easy to move" is not a desirable attribute for a safe. Then, these are both pretty light, refrigerator-dolly material. Is there any kind of lock-out warranty?

I know, but as long as they can be securely anchored to the house (and they can), I don't mind not losing a nut trying to move it in. In my neighborhood, somebody using equipment to move a 600 pound safe will be noticed.

I don't know if there is a lock-out warranty. I'll read the paperwork more thoroughly when I get home.

Edit: A couple of photos...

Last edited:
Well, good luck! You did good, at just over a buck a pound. I ended up paying about $2.40/lb, but it's a much bigger safe.

Check on the lockout guarantee, and if none, there are strategies you can employ to get in if the lock fails or the combination is lost.

I bought that exact safe at Wally world. It was on sale for 475 and I was looking for a new safe so I bought it. I am very happy with this safe. Keypad is nice and easy to use, even in the dark. Like most other safes you can customize the inside and the door has a cool organizer. Is the inside as nice as a Liberty or other higher end safe, no but it is a nice safe to store guns, valuables and what ever else you need locked up. I would def recommend this safe.

i'll be in the market for a small safe for 2-3 pistols at some point...kids will also be in the picture at some point in the future...after doing some reading on here i think i'll pass on the biometric safes...i like the idea of the reliability of simplex locks but i would like more than 5 number buttons (i realize there are a ton of different combinations but humor me)...i was wondering if there were any electronic safes with 10 number buttons that were wired for AC with a battery backup similar to an alarm clock but it would tell you when the battery is on its way out similar to a smoke detector?...what makes an electronic safe less reliable than a simplex locked safe?...is it the electronics or the power source?

i'll be in the market for a small safe for 2-3 pistols at some point...kids will also be in the picture at some point in the future...after doing some reading on here i think i'll pass on the biometric safes...i like the idea of the reliability of simplex locks but i would like more than 5 number buttons (i realize there are a ton of different combinations but humor me)...i was wondering if there were any electronic safes with 10 number buttons that were wired for AC with a battery backup similar to an alarm clock but it would tell you when the battery is on its way out similar to a smoke detector?...what makes an electronic safe less reliable than a simplex locked safe?...is it the electronics or the power source?

There should be some gun shows coming up this fall. take advantage of that and talk with the safe vendors. You aren't obligated to buy it there. They may have info / ideas on kids, backups / etc.

There should be some gun shows coming up this fall. take advantage of that and talk with the safe vendors. You aren't obligated to buy it there. They may have info / ideas on kids, backups / etc.

thanks...at the moment i'm between a fort knox, a v-line and a dac...the dac is the only electronic one of the 3 and from what i have read in addition to batteries has a 12v plug that can be adapted for AC use...the other 2 are very similar but differ when it comes to mounting and the v-line has a drawer that can be pulled out (not sure i am a fan of the drawer since it's one more thing you have to do to gain access)...i like the size and price of the dac (could buy 2 for the price of one of the other 2)...i'm not looking to break the bank just want to keep the firearms safe and out of a child's reach...i'd rather them be stolen than have a kid get into it...guns can be replaced...i mean to put it in perspective my tv cost more than a couple handguns

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002ILCV6...TF8&colid=1DR8JDCNC34IS&coliid=I3V5DT3UI2KMSQ

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom