• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Safes

thanks...at the moment i'm between a fort knox, a v-line and a dac...the dac is the only electronic one of the 3 and from what i have read in addition to batteries has a 12v plug that can be adapted for AC use..

Murphy's Law says you'll forget to replace the batteries when the power goes out and the mob is banging on your front door looking for toilet paper.

Just bought a Sun Welding Pony Express safe. It will be shipping soon will have to do a mini review after I get it. First point without seeing ... American made [thumbsup]

I wonder if I could just harden my basement gun room in lieu of buying a safe? The back wall is already concrete and adding concrete walls is relatively cheap. The key is the ceiling, thoughts that don't include ripping up the living room?

No. But there are about a dozen videos on YouTube with a guy trying to break into one as part of a promo. It was almost breached with the fire axe. Can't remember which model it was or the steel thickness - maybe 10 guage?

Yes and there has been a rash of break-ins lately with thieves bringing fire axes and oxy-acetylene torches when they rob homes!! [rolleyes]

You can't protect against everything, but any normal residential container type safe will keep 99.99999999% of house thieves out. Also as bad as police response is, if you have a layered system with an alarm, the thieves aren't going to want to stick around for 10-20 minutes to break into a safe, empty the contents and haul them out.

Yes and there has been a rash of break-ins lately with thieves bringing fire axes and oxy-acetylene torches when they rob homes!! [rolleyes]

You can't protect against everything, but any normal residential container type safe will keep 99.99999999% of house thieves out. Also as bad as police response is, if you have a layered system with an alarm, the thieves aren't going to want to stick around for 10-20 minutes to break into a safe, empty the contents and haul them out.

Agreed. Just wanted to point that out.

Another idea WRT gun safes/RSCs is location. Camoflaging or hiding the unit in the house will help too - they can't attack what they can't find.

Has anybody constructed a "closet" to hide a gun safe before? I was thinking this might be a fun summer project.

I put my safe in a closet that I built for it in my workshop area - closet had a keypad lock handle on it so I can store ammo outside the safe inside the closet. Problem is I need a bigger safe and the closet size restricts what I can upgrade to.

Necro-thread

I'm in the market to upgrade my safe. Is there anywhere locally I can purchase a used safe and perhaps trade in my current safe? Ideally, I'd like a lightly used Liberty Fatboy and trade in my smaller Liberty safe.

What are you looking to upgrade from? Going to sell it? :)

Necro-thread

I'm in the market to upgrade my safe. Is there anywhere locally I can purchase a used safe and perhaps trade in my current safe? Ideally, I'd like a lightly used Liberty Fatboy and trade in my smaller Liberty safe.

What are you looking to upgrade from? Going to sell it? :)

It's a Remington-badged Liberty w/ S&G Group II mechanical lock. I'll either trade it in or sell it. They probably called it a 20 gun safe, but it actually holds ~12-15 long guns, depending on what you put in it. It's ~6 or 7 years old, but in excellent shape.

ETA: OK, I think it's a "Remington Sportsman 17"; claims it will hold 18 guns. I'll have to measure when I get home.

http://www.utahsafe.com/Remington.html

Last edited:
Zombie-ish bump

I was at Dependable Lock Service in Nashua yesterday for about an hour. I went there to get a small Liberty vault and ended up shooting the shit with the owner and his wife (his wife and I are members at the same gym). We discussed all types of de-humidification issues/processes for my Hamilton 4 drawer, as well as fire protection, sealing of documents, etc, etc, using booze for bartering when SHTF (he hadn't heard that one..>) They are still having a Liberty Safe blow out. Some really nice safes there, and they are really REALLY good people.

Zombie-ish bump

I was at Dependable Lock Service in Nashua yesterday for about an hour. I went there to get a small Liberty vault and ended up shooting the shit with the owner and his wife (his wife and I are members at the same gym). We discussed all types of de-humidification issues/processes for my Hamilton 4 drawer, as well as fire protection, sealing of documents, etc, etc, using booze for bartering when SHTF (he hadn't heard that one..>) They are still having a Liberty Safe blow out. Some really nice safes there, and they are really REALLY good people.

Ron, do you know what kind of discounts they're giving on Liberty safes?

Zombie-ish bump

Bought a Liberty Safe last year at Dependable Lock - I also agree that they are good people; great process, friendly and easy to work with

Have been reading this site - IMHO very informative and makes sense.

http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/

I must admit it kinda fits in with my biases - I am a firm believer in layered security and concealment. Having a huge gun safe in your house which will be seen by house cleaners, plumbers, handymen, etc is poor security imho. People who deliver your safe know that you have a safe with guns in it. Who has access to a list of customers who ordered a safe?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom