• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun safe

go rent an appliance dolly at your local rental place, call a couple of friends, strap in the safe and up you go. with the dolly and a couple of friends you can make quick work of that safe, 500 lbs is not really heavy for a safe.

If you can remove the door it would make it a little easier in addition to what greencobra said

go rent an appliance dolly at your local rental place, call a couple of friends, strap in the safe and up you go. with the dolly and a couple of friends you can make quick work of that safe, 500 lbs is not really heavy for a safe.

Also, go buy some beer and order a pizza to bribe said friends with. Makes them more willing to help.

Have moved stuff like that alone, built a frame with header at the top, used a wheeled dolly w/straps and chain fall, boards on the stairs for the wheels. Slow and easy, it gets done. By the time people said they would come over, it was done.

My wife looked at the safe, the stairs it had to go up and the walls and said NFW. I hired 3 guys from a moving company - they seemed happy to make $200, cash, at the end of their workday. No muss, no fuss and no dings in the walls. Everybody was happy :)

500 lbs is nothing for 2 guys who do this shit for a living. I used a local moving company to move a safe 12 years ago. Between the power dolly and the use of harness and sling these 2 old skinny half drunk moving guys made it look like moving a Wal-Mart 2 draw file cabinet

As stated above, remove the door (should be do-able when the safe is open), that should get you down to about 420 lbs or so. Get an appliance dolly (the kind w/two straps) also stated above. I have pulled a 440 lb fridge up more than one flight of stairs with the help of a (healthy) friend more than once. Your legs are the power, your arms are "hooks" to pull back with for balance. Your friend is lifting, not pushing. One step at a time. Do not use your back. Step back...semi squat...stand up. One step at a time. You'll be done before you know it.

Last edited:
Take the door off.

Get a decent dolly and strap it to the dolly. I helped a buddy get his up 3 flights of stairs just the two of us. But an additional friend and pizza and beer would have been optimal.

1. rent a heavy duty dolly
2. call a couple of strong buddied
3. buy them beer

Make sure the friends you recruit have healthy knees, backs. Nothing like getting heavy object up a few steps and suddenly being in a sketchy situation.

Back
Top Bottom