Gun safe question.

Hey guys I have a question for you about guns safes. I have a gun safe that I have out grown. To be precise I have two of them that I have out grown. I wanted to turn my bedroom in to safe. In Massachusetts is this possible? I want to mount my guns on my wall with locks threw them. My bedroom door is solid wood with 1/8 steel sheet on the inside of the door. My room door is electronic lock an or key on the out side. My ammo would an still is locked up in its own safe. My wife is waiting on her ltc should be in any day now. I just wanted some clarity on it. I know in Mass a. Gun is supposed to be locked up in a safe ( my room ) with a trigger lock in the safe as well on the gun. Any help with this would be very helpful thank you. Also I do have one window but my room is on the 3rd floor an it’s a little octagon window. Thanks for the help guys.

Wrong. A safe or trigger lock along will do it. If you have trigger locks on your guns stored at home, you don't need any sort of safe.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^

No requirement to have a safe. Just need to be locked.. Trigger lock or cable lock or any other method that prevent an unauthorized person easy access.

If you mount your guns on the wall with locks you should be all set.

Thank you guys I was not sure an i wanted to make sure I asked my buddy who is LE an he said just put them on the walls. You don’t need a lock on it. Well I didn’t know an LE can have a different view an a lot of them are not to sure on certain gun laws so I thank you.
I can have them out in the open as long as they have a cable threw them an or trigger lock so thank you. For the help guys

Hey guys I have a question for you about guns safes. I have a gun safe that I have out grown. To be precise I have two of them that I have out grown. I wanted to turn my bedroom in to safe. In Massachusetts is this possible? I want to mount my guns on my wall with locks threw them. My bedroom door is solid wood with 1/8 steel sheet on the inside of the door. My room door is electronic lock an or key on the out side. My ammo would an still is locked up in its own safe. My wife is waiting on her ltc should be in any day now. I just wanted some clarity on it. I know in Mass a. Gun is supposed to be locked up in a safe ( my room ) with a trigger lock in the safe as well on the gun. Any help with this would be very helpful thank you. Also I do have one window but my room is on the 3rd floor an it’s a little octagon window. Thanks for the help guys.

Hey baby, welcome to my love palace, this is where the magic happens...and where I store my firearms. Can I get you a drink?

I can have them out in the open as long as they have a cable threw them an or trigger lock so thank you. For the help guys
Quite true. That being said, if I had them out on display, I'd have them locked to the wall instead of just trigger locked, along the lines of the Arma15 locking wall mount (AR15 Rapid Locking Mount M4 Safe Quick Access) that both inactivates the gun and prevents someone from walking off with it. You don't want to deal with the effect of one going missing, trigger lock or no.

Quite true. That being said, if I had them out on display, I'd have them locked to the wall instead of just trigger locked, along the lines of the Arma15 locking wall mount (AR15 Rapid Locking Mount M4 Safe Quick Access) that both inactivates the gun and prevents someone from walking off with it. You don't want to deal with the effect of one going missing, trigger lock or no.
Yep. No way I'm leaving my guns around the house (trigger locks or not) while I'm not home - they go in the safe. Even if there were no MA storage requirements I'd still do it.

Thank you guys I was not sure an i wanted to make sure I asked my buddy who is LE an he said just put them on the walls. You don’t need a lock on it. Well I didn’t know an LE can have a different view an a lot of them are not to sure on certain gun laws so I thank you.

LE's rarely get gun laws correct. The guy in Lowell who had a vault penetrated over two days..got screwed by the DA. Pair indicted in Lowell gun thefts
if you lay them on your living room couch with gun locks on them, it meets the requirements of the (idiotic) law

Last edited:
Yep. No way I'm leaving my guns around the house (trigger locks or not) while I'm not home - they go in the safe. Even if there were no MA storage requirements I'd still do it.
This. The main purpose of a safe, for most of us, is to reduce the possibility of theft. Jack.

This. The main purpose of a safe, for most of us, is to reduce the possibility of theft. Jack.
Sadly, about the only thing most safes do is comply with Mass storage requirements (which are really "prevent you from using them in a hurry" regulations). Few of them will stop any thefts other beyond an opportunistic grab-and-run.

And/or to make the insurance company happy. Often even more true for businesses, so they buy the minimum "safe" acceptable to the underwriter.
How long do you folks think burglars hang out in a house they burglarize? Do you really think that they bring torches and crowbars "in case they find a safe"?

In the burbs, the average police response is 6-15 minutes. In swill holes like Boston probably 45 minutes to never. In the backwoods, it might be hours.,

But if you live in the burbs, the average thief probably is in and out in ~5 minutes and any safe that he can't just drag away to break-in at a later time is probably adequate.

Businesses are usually targeted and a thief may well come "prepared".

In any case, a safe should be part of a layered security system. Put it in an obscure place or difficult to get to, have an alarm system (preferably monitored), perhaps cameras, a dog, etc.

A "real safe" (TL rated, not RSC) in most cases would be too heavy for the floor of a normal house, so you'd need to be on a concrete slab for structural safety. And the interior is tiny in comparison to the exterior of those safes. Again not practical for a homeowner.

And the interior is tiny in comparison to the exterior of those safes. Again not practical for a homeowner.

I’d have no problem finding room for something like this, which has 3” think walls.

I don’t own one for a couple of reasons. First, I don’t own any guns valuable enough to warrant spending 5 large (including installation) on a safe. Second, as you correctly point out, it would have to be in my basement, which would inevitably put my guns on the wrong side of any intruder.

Let’s be honest... The Oceans 11 crew or Thomas Crown isn’t breaking in to most people’s houses Unless you are a well known target for them. And if you are, then you already have the proper security in place.

For others, protecting against a grab and go or curious kids, is the primary concern, and in those cases any large heavy / bolted safe will do.

If a crook is spending hours or days to get in, then it’s because you “advertised“ that no one is home. The number of people who post pictures online of them going/on vacation is mind boggling.
Or you haven’t plowed your driveway or mowed your lawn for weeks, then you’ve just let people know they have time to squat.

As for a locked reinforced door on a bedroom. That’s probably a grey area here. If it were a vault door and reinforced walls all around then maybe. Are there windows in this room?

Last edited:
placement is sometimes a deterrent also. thieves don't like to be where there's only one exit and be trapped if the homeowner comes back unexpectedly. like in a basement or a 2nd floor. my safe is in a second floor room. crooks have to run right into my arms to try and get out if i walk into the house. neighborhood kids...they'd never get in the safe anyway.

I’d have no problem finding room for something like this, which has 3” think walls.

I don’t own one for a couple of reasons. First, I don’t own any guns valuable enough to warrant spending 5 large (including installation) on a safe. Second, as you correctly point out, it would have to be in my basement, which would inevitably put my guns on the wrong side of any intruder.
This safe may appear impressive but I don’t see spec on plate thickness? Any company not stating the steel thickness probably doesn’t want you to know...how thin it is.

This safe may appear impressive but I don’t see spec on plate thickness? Any company not stating the steel thickness probably doesn’t want you to know...how thin it is.
If it is indeed UL TL-15 rated, that issue is not something you need to worry about. A true TL-15 rating is issued only after independent lab testing by UL.

The weight gives a hint 1841lbs in a safe that size is 7ga (3/16") or thicker, unless there is some sort of layered walls (ceramic sammiched between steel layers) to build up the weight.

Quoting from Hollon Safe TL-15 Gun Vault

This impressive build has multiple layers of steel thickness varying from 10,8,3 gauge steel thickness with aluminum concrete mixture in between the slabs of steel. The door is made of quarter inch armor plate with a glass re-locker covering most of the door.

One dirty little secret is that "TL15" is about defeating the door/lock/boltwork, so manufacturer can skimp on the rest of the walls and still get rated.

Rarer to see something like "TL-30X6", where all six sides of the container are fair game for attack. Definitely a case for buying used and spending the money saved on reinforcing the floor to handle the half ton (empty) safe.

Last edited:
Rarer to see something like "TL-30X6", where all six sides of the container are fair game for attack. Definitely a case for buying used and spending the money saved on reinforcing the floor to handle the half ton (empty) safe.

Good luck finding one used. AmSec makes a TL-30x6 gun safe, but it's not a half ton. It weighs over two tons. But if your gun collection looks like this, it might be a prudent investment:

One dirty little secret is that "TL15" is about defeating the door/lock/boltwork, so manufacturer can skimp on the rest of the walls and still get rated.

RSC-2 has all six sides attacked.

RSC-2 has all six sides attacked.
Is the test criteria accessible without paying? All I can find is:
UL 1037/RSC-II said:
withstand a ten-minute attack by two technicians who use more aggressive tools such as picks, high-speed carbide drills and pressure applying devices. In addition, the technicians will attempt to make a six-square-inch opening in the door or the front face

Back
Top Bottom