• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Safe in the Garage in New England

I know this set up is suboptimal, but it's my only option.

My question for the guys up here in the north east - have you done anything above and beyond to prevent safe and contents from getting rust?

Garage has no climate controls. I'll have the safe against an interior wall and sitting on either hockey pucks or dircore or similar. I'll have goldenrods inside the safe along with some rechargeable silica.

I think I have contents of the safe solved for, however I'm equally concerned about the safe and mechanical lock.

I would frame in a room slightly larger than the safe and throw in an electric heater, keep it at 50 degrees, instant climate control

how about some type of electric heater inside, like the warmers they sell for reptiles

You could create an enclosure around the safe and then use something like zerorust to keep it rust free. I believe the newer zerorust packs are good for 2 years and cover a 2'x2'x2'area. So a few of those strategically placed should help. The enclosure would also help hide the safe from sight.

You could create an enclosure around the safe and then use something like zerorust to keep it rust free. I believe the newer zerorust packs are good for 2 years and cover a 2'x2'x2'area. So a few of those strategically placed should help. The enclosure would also help hide the safe from sight.

I like the enclosure ideas. Safe is already painted. Do you mean zerust? I was checking out VCI protection.

If possible, run a cord into the safe and put a 60 watt incandescent light in there. The heat from the light provides enough warmth to keep the humidity low. Best thing I ever did for my safe.

Edit: I misread the post, see now that you have the inside of the safe solved.

+1 for the oversized closet idea. Condition (heat) the space around the safe, stop problems at the gate.
I found a 72" steel double fire door on CL for $100, and used it to build out a closet with storage and space enough for a large safe. I monitor humidity and temperature, inside the closet and inside the safe, and that space is a LOT more consistent than the basement environment around the closet.

FWIW, the door seals of RSCs (residential storage containers... aka "gun safes") are NOT seals! RSCs are not air tight, unless exposed to fire the seals don't actually seal. Door seals are reactive: If heated to 300-400 degrees the door seal will expand and actually form a seal.

Put the safe up on hockey pucks to create and air gap between the safe and the floor. Put a golden rod (or equivalent) in there and you'll be good to go.

+1 for the oversized closet idea. Condition (heat) the space around the safe, stop problems at the gate.
I found a 72" steel double fire door on CL for $100, and used it to build out a closet with storage and space enough for a large safe. I monitor humidity and temperature, inside the closet and inside the safe, and that space is a LOT more consistent than the basement environment around the closet.

FWIW, the door seals of RSCs (residential storage containers... aka "gun safes") are NOT seals! RSCs are not air tight, unless exposed to fire the seals don't actually seal. Door seals are reactive: If heated to 300-400 degrees the door seal will expand and actually form a seal.

what do you use to monitor the humidity? I need something for my guitar room so I can check on things without having to go in all the time

I heat my garage with one of these if I kept my safe in the garage I would make sure it had one. The best benefit is working in the garage in the winter with heat makes it ideal.

c32ff647-6ca7-45bb-bc28-720fd37953db_HotDawg_2015-460x464_300x285.jpg

Seems like you have covered most of the bases.

Be careful not to expose your firearms to warm, humid air when they are cold. Instant condensation on all metal surfaces if you do.

I think all of us have used variations on this idea. I found lining the closet with cedar helped in maintaining steady temps and made managing moisture/mold easier which was helpful since you may store other gear in the space.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I would put a couple golden rods in the safe to warm it and dehmidify. I would definitely lag it to the floor because the garage location makes it an easy place for 3 or 4 guys to lift it into a truck bed and drive away with the safe itself.

I would put a couple golden rods in the safe to warm it and dehmidify. I would definitely lag it to the floor because the garage location makes it an easy place for 3 or 4 guys to lift it into a truck bed and drive away with the safe itself.

Don't even need to do that. Follow you to a movie or a restaurant, smash and grab a garage door opener, go back, back the truck in the garage, close door, electric grinder the side off it, remove contents, place in truck, open door and drive off. Easy.

Some of my less valuable and plastic stock guns, I store in an upstairs of a garage. In the winter i heat
Only when im up there. Which causes condensation. However i do a good oil wipe down at least 3-4 times a year. And when the fiream gets used. I have never seen major rust issues on anything.

Concrete slab floor would be a different but i think if you kept up with wipe downs i dont think you would have issues.

Don't even need to do that. Follow you to a movie or a restaurant, smash and grab a garage door opener, go back, back the truck in the garage, close door, electric grinder the side off it, remove contents, place in truck, open door and drive off. Easy.

This is why I've found insurance to be a relatively cheap peace of mind

Mike

If possible, run a cord into the safe and put a 60 watt incandescent light in there. The heat from the light provides enough warmth to keep the humidity low. Best thing I ever did for my safe.

Edit: I misread the post, see now that you have the inside of the safe solved.

I read somewhere that a single candle will keep a car interior warm. Same idea I guess.

Suppose the owner notices his car window smashed, sees garage door opener missing, calls cops. Can you do all that in the 15 minutes it takes for cops to get to the house? just let them go to work and spend all day in the house. Doesn't matter where the safe is.

Suppose the owner notices his car window smashed, sees garage door opener missing, calls cops. Can you do all that in the 15 minutes it takes for cops to get to the house? just let them go to work and spend all day in the house. Doesn't matter where the safe is.

Thays why I said movie or restaurant. Buys an hour or two at least.

Seems like you have covered most of the bases.

Be careful not to expose your firearms to warm, humid air when they are cold. Instant condensation on all metal surfaces if you do.

This is my biggest problem in the summer. My guns are in the basement. Climate controlled (air conditioned). They are fine when they are in the safe. When I take a couple rifles or shotguns out to bring them to the range on a humid day in summer......they are covered in condensation when I get to the range. Drives me nuts.

Back
Top Bottom