• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun safe fail

Yup, the state would suck the blood out of the deceased and sold it if they thought they could recover a few bucks.
The title would reasonably stay with the owner of the property who rented it out. If a tenant discards an item that is part of a rented facility, it does not mean the tenant had title to that item, or the authority to sell/gift/discard it. The property owner owned the safe, and it is well established that one must impoverish themselves before the state will pay for long term care (except in the case of a primary residence, in which case the state takes a lien on the property and cashed in at death). The decision seems consistent with law and reasonable.

The two shameless money grabs supported by the SJC are "it is lawful to charge someone $75 to confront their accuser in traffic court, even if they are found not responsible" and "if you let your adult child live with you, the kid is disqualified from a public defender since giving him/her housing is an implicit agreement to fund his/her legal bills".

The title would reasonably stay with the owner of the property who rented it out. If a tenant discards an item that is part of a rented facility, it does not mean the tenant had title to that item, or the authority to sell/gift/discard it. The property owner owned the safe, and it is well established that one must impoverish themselves before the state will pay for long term care (except in the case of a primary residence, in which case the state takes a lien on the property and cashed in at death). The decision seems consistent with law and reasonable.

The two shameless money grabs supported by the SJC are "it is lawful to charge someone $75 to confront their accuser in traffic court, even if they are found not responsible" and "if you let your adult child live with you, the kid is disqualified from a public defender since giving him/her housing is an implicit agreement to fund his/her legal bills".

I don't find the second a money grab at all. "adult child" is a contradiction to begin with. That flies in the face of libertarian beliefs and I have no problem with it. Different thread though.

IF a guys in your house and has 20 min to screw around unimpeded by anyone I think you have bigger problems.

Not a problem if no alarm no dog all at work and neighbors dont give a shit

Exactly. The point is that the only good defense is a layered defense.

The safe requires time to get into.

A monitored alarm denies the thief the time.

Don

I don't find the second a money grab at all. "adult child" is a contradiction to begin with. That flies in the face of libertarian beliefs and I have no problem with it. Different thread though.
Ok, then "offspring".

If you let your 30 year old son live with you, and he is accused of a crime, how is the state saying "you have agreed to pay for all of his legal fees, to the extent of liquidating you home and retirement funds" not a money grab?". The logic that "you have provided housing, so you assume all other responsibilities of care for the person" defies logic on any basis other than "state needs the money, end justified the means".

Last edited:
Ok, then "offspring".

If you let your 30 year old son live with you, and he is accused of a crime, how is the state saying "you have agreed to pay for all of his legal fees, to the extent of liquidating you home and retirement funds" not a money grab?". The logic that "you have provided housing, so you assume all other responsibilities of care for the person" defies logic on any basis other than "state needs the money, end justified the means".

Thats completely stupid, and im sure the state is doing that since an adult forced to go back to living with their parents is almost always going to be flat broke and thus the state has very little they can squeeze from them.

Thats completely stupid, and im sure the state is doing that since an adult forced to go back to living with their parents is almost always going to be flat broke and thus the state has very little they can squeeze from them.
It is also a clear message - if you value your retirement, do not allow any adult offspring who is "just turning his/her life around" to live with you in MA.

Technically speaking, the decision does not "require parents to pay" ... it simply states that the parents income and assets are to be counted when determining eligibility for a public defender.

The situation in which a defendant went pro-se because his parents would not pay, and the state would not give a defender, would make for some interesting federal issues....which is why I expect the court would order the parents to cough it up.

This decision was issued at the same time as the one requiring all retirement accounts be liquidated before public defender eligibility, so it is not a stretch to assume this would be required of the parents of age of majority co-domiciled offspring.

Last edited:
To take your home safe protection to the next level add Safelert to your layered security. It's a very small box made by Liberty Safe that installs in your safe. It connects to your home's WiFi and monitors for vibration, movement, temp change, humidity change and the door opening. When one or any of these things are detected it email/texts you letting you know right away. It's $200 and there is no additional fees associated. Once set up, it adds another layer to your home security.

http://www.libertysafe.com/accessory-safelert-monitoring-system-ps-17-pg-85.html

Seconded. Very fantastic product.

safelert.png

It occurs to me that if a thief brings an assortment of cutting tools to attack a safe and he knows he may only have a limited amount of time, there's a chance he's targeting you. If he's targeting you, then he has some knowledge of what might be in the safe and may even have some knowledge of where it's located. So, to add to the layered security mentioned in several earlier posts, another layer is to keep your safe secret. If they don't know you have one, they won't come looking for it. And, in the event of an opportunistic smash and grab job, if they don't find your safe, whatever's in it will stay in it.

It occurs to me that if a thief brings an assortment of cutting tools to attack a safe and he knows he may only have a limited amount of time, there's a chance he's targeting you. If he's targeting you, then he has some knowledge of what might be in the safe and may even have some knowledge of where it's located. So, to add to the layered security mentioned in several earlier posts, another layer is to keep your safe secret. If they don't know you have one, they won't come looking for it. And, in the event of an opportunistic smash and grab job, if they don't find your safe, whatever's in it will stay in it.

That is why my car and truck have no bumper stickers and don't let everybody know about my guns.

That is why my car and truck have no bumper stickers and don't let everybody know about my guns.

When you load your vehicle up wth all your tacticool weapons do you do it the garage or in the driveway while everyone is watching?

A guy I used to work with had great wisdom. One of the things he told me that stuck with me was "locks keep honest people honest". Kind of applies to this thread.

When you load your vehicle up wth all your tacticool weapons do you do it the garage or in the driveway while everyone is watching?

The 10 seconds it takes me to walk out the door and load the truck is something I don't worry about. Most people are oblivious anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom