• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun safe fail

I employ a decoy safe aswell, its not bolted down and is right next to the door. Its contents include a brick, two glass bottles, a pack of napkins, and a rather nasty hand written note.

Theifs are like the guys on "storage wars" they get all excited over a safe that typical has nothing of value in it.

Put a mason jar in it filled with cat pee and dog poop, that way when they try to smash it open, poopiepee leaks out over them. Cat pee stinks bad too.

ALL fire safes use gypsm. The gypsym, when heated, releases water as steam for a period of time. while it is doing that, it can not catch on fire.

And sheetrock....is paper and gypsm.

ALL fire safes use gypsm. The gypsym, when heated, releases water as steam for a period of time. while it is doing that, it can not catch on fire.

And sheetrock....is paper and gypsm.

Amsec safes uses a concrete type material
Sturdy, VaultPro and Smith safes use the ceramic fiber like the industrial ovens and boilers use

I know at least a half dozen people who don't even lock their house. They say that is why they have insurance, and they'd rather not deal with a broken door jam. I'd at least like to slow the bad guys down enough to have them try somewhere else first.

They will see my alarm decals and hear the dogs barking and will go to an easier target, thank those 6 people.

Op
Those videos are great for people that are law abiding as informational videos, but super dangerous because they give easy info to the boys "just about to turn their lives around" on how to get into these "safes"![rolleyes] WTF, most of the smash and grab guys wouldn't know that a cutoff wheel setup like that existed, let alone how to use it! It was so nice that the guy even told them it was only $8 at HF! I've obviously known about this situation for many years, but I'm also not the guy that you need to worry about. [rolleyes]

I leave a large angle grinder plugged in right next to my safe. But for some reason the blade has several large cracks that are very hard to see. I took the guard off to get a better look and just haven't got around to fixing it.

I like H F. Their impact sockets are great. But would anyone in their right mind trust something from them spinning at 12,000 rpm near your body, especially near your crotch?

Those videos are great for people that are law abiding as informational videos, but super dangerous because they give easy info to the boys "just about to turn their lives around" on how to get into these "safes"![rolleyes] WTF, most of the smash and grab guys wouldn't know that a cutoff wheel setup like that existed, let alone how to use it! It was so nice that the guy even told them it was only $8 at HF! I've obviously known about this situation for many years, but I'm also not the guy that you need to worry about. [rolleyes]

This! In 1844 Egdar Allen Poe got it right with the "Purloined Letter"

In my opinion safes just tell the thief where your guns or valuables are. When I had one it was kept basically empty as a decoy. It was also a cheap steel box I had to CMA in ma. For the kind of money you'll spend on a "good" safe you could get a skilled carpenter/cabinet maker to build you a hidden space within a wall or floor that a thief would never know exists. I have built this even in my crappy house and it is invisible. I do not have a lot of guns cause I'm a poor bastard now but I have a couple of rifles and hand guns and various hidden cavities to hide them in. It needs to be done flawlessly or it will be apparent something is going on. Of course make sure the guy you hire is on the up and up. A thief can't steal what he can't see or find. I have never posted or sent a picture of my hiding spot to anyone and have only shown them to those who need to know where the hide is. Many people have stood inches from my hidden guns and never had a clue. Hide in plain sight is the best method imo. Ymmv

I know at least a half dozen people who don't even lock their house. They say that is why they have insurance, and they'd rather not deal with a broken door jam. I'd at least like to slow the bad guys down enough to have them try somewhere else first.

They must live in west bum**** because in any of the MA dump cities their house would get looted unless they stayed at home all the time. Most of the criminals in this state don't have the balls to break windows or doors down, but if a door is unlocked its pretty much a freebie.

-Mike

For what it's worth, that same technique can, and will breach even expensive safes made of heavier steel, it just takes more time, and a few more abrasive wheels, as they wear down quicker on heavier steel. The reality is that no matter how heavy, and impregnable the door may be, they all use thinner gauge material for the sides, it just may be 3/16", instead of 14 gauge for example.

3/16 = 7 gauge
5/64 = 14 gauge

It's good to know steel plate when looking at safes. Buy American & go with at least a safe with 4 gauge side walls.

https://www.tedpella.com/company_html/gauge.htm

They must live in west bum**** because in any of the MA dump cities their house would get looted unless they stayed at home all the time. Most of the criminals in this state don't have the balls to break windows or doors down, but if a door is unlocked its pretty much a freebie.

-Mike

We had a rash of cars that were not locked cleaned out in my town. Easy targets are a dream.

I leave a large angle grinder plugged in right next to my safe. But for some reason the blade has several large cracks that are very hard to see. I took the guard off to get a better look and just haven't got around to fixing it.

I spent most of my career in the industry that makes abrasive tooling such as the cut-offs, and now am a supplier to that industry. If used unsafely, those things can kill. Over the years I've investigated some very ugly accidents. Fortunately, all were due to operator error or improper machine maintenance involving an overspeed condition. Many years ago, a competitor's product failed, 'exploded', and peeled back the operator's entire face. Horrendous picture...

More noisy and would create a little smoke, but a gas powered abrasive saw would make short work of a 14 ga safe. Instead of minutes it would probably take seconds. Immediately after 9-11, my former business made emergency shipments from stock then went into overtime to produce and ship pallets of the larger wheels for gas saws. These were used to cut the structural steel and rebar during search and rescue and later recovery and demolition.

It's good to know steel plate when looking at safes. Buy American & go with at least a safe with 4 gauge side walls.
There is no arbitrary thickness that is "good enough". I could just as easily say "Buy nothing without a TRTL60x6 rating". There is a continuum of protection, with each individual able to afford something that is usually not at the top of that spectrum. There are also weight limitations in some installations. At the low end, you are still getting MGL safe storage compliance and protection from the n'er do well who breaks in without tools and only wants to spend seconds in your place. TRTL rated and you're talking serious time with serious tools. Most gun safes are somewhere in the middle.

It can be a mistake not to have a safe because you cannot accommodate a TL rated safe; 4ga; etc. It is also a mistake to assume a safe, or a RSC, is impervious to attack.

Last edited:
Ive often considered welding some plate to the top and sides of my next safe. Quick and cheaper way to beef up the sides of a cheaper safe that has a stout door

Ive often considered welding some plate to the top and sides of my next safe. Quick and cheaper way to beef up the sides of a cheaper safe that has a stout door

Quicker and cheaper would be to buy plywood, surround your safe with it, and fill it with concrete then throw some rebar in for giggles. Cheaper, faster, more effective.

There is no arbitrary thickness that is "good enough". I could just as easily say "Buy nothing without a TRTL60x6 rating". There is a continuum of protection, with each individual able to afford something that is usually not at the top of that spectrum. There are also weight limitations in some installations. At the low end, you are still getting MGL safe storage compliance and protection from the n'er do well who breaks in without tools and only wants to spend seconds in your place. TRTL rated and you're talking serious time with serious tools. Most gun safes are somewhere in the middle.

It can be a mistake not to have a safe because you cannot accommodate a TL rated safe; 4ga; etc. It is also a mistake to assume a safe, or a RSC, is impervious to attack.

I took a safe from a job once, I never handled it until weeks after I brought it to my office. It went in my van by fork truck and came out with one. It was laying on its back When I finally went to look at it. When I tried the door I though it was locked. I pulled harder and it wasn't, it was 3/4" solid steel. All sides. It weighed too much to do anything with and eventually ended up as scrap. Nobody was breaking into that monstrosity.

If you're going to spend the time and money on a safe that isn't a show piece, build it into a room with steel mesh attached to the studs on both sides, 5/8 tough board on both sides and the bays filled with Roxul. Put a steel outswing door on it with security hinges and everything bolted/screwed in place. With the room just big enough to house the safe as to not give access to the sides and bolted down, it will be enough to keep out anyone who isn't a pro.

41b1jvUEEmL._AC_US240_QL65_.jpg 10 minutes including changing from wood blades to steel cutting diamond blades. Noisy but not much more than a backpack leaf blower. 3 people raking leaves outside neighbors wouldn't know WTF was going on inside........ Just a point not that I'd know anything about how to open safes. These saws are stolen from Const. sites every day, you can't leave it out of site for 1 minute.

Last edited:
Exactly!

A safe or even a lock box has to be only one part of a security system.

- Safe
- Dog
- Monitored alarm system
- Cameras
- Etc.

Defense in depth - absolutely !!!

If the alarm and camera's don't scare them off, then my attack pugs will spring from their slumber and give the perps what they've got coming to them ;-)

Put a mason jar in it filled with cat pee and dog poop, that way when they try to smash it open, poopiepee leaks out over them. Cat pee stinks bad too.

How in the blue blazes do you collect cat pee? Get your cat really drunk and slip a mason jar under it's ass in the litter box ?

I would be far less worried about a thief with a cutting wheel than 4 that show up and hold a gun to your wife's head while they make you open your safe.
Super expensive, crazy secure safes are over rated. If I really wanted what was in your safe, I wouldn't wait until you left your house, I would wait until I knew you were home. I can get into any safe in under 2 minutes for 14 cents. That is what two rounds of 22 that I put through your wife's leg cost.
The hardest part would be keeping you from forgetting the combination while you were freaking out and pissing your pants.

How in the blue blazes do you collect cat pee? Get your cat really drunk and slip a mason jar under it's ass in the litter box ?

I would be far less worried about a thief with a cutting wheel than 4 that show up and hold a gun to your wife's head while they make you open your safe.
Super expensive, crazy secure safes are over rated. If I really wanted what was in your safe, I wouldn't wait until you left your house, I would wait until I knew you were home. I can get into any safe in under 2 minutes for 14 cents. That is what two rounds of 22 that I put through your wife's leg cost.
The hardest part would be keeping you from forgetting the combination while you were freaking out and pissing your pants.

Home invasion is a lot more of a scare than a break in.

The fact remains that 99% of these gun thefts happen when nobody is at home. If I had a remote house or something I'd definitely have a TL rated plate safe. The safes really aren't that expensive in the grand scheme of things, the only annoying part is the costs to get it moved there. After that the rest is gravy.

-Mike

My rule of thumb is its reasonable to spend 10% the value of whats in the safe on the safe...
Although i never wind up sticking to that rule becuase i overstuff my safes with shit.

Some safes require two people to open..holding a gun to someones head isn't a catch all.
While effective, better be sure whats in the safe is worth your life and/or freedom.
Police dont do shit for most crimes, thats one theyll be all over.

My rule of thumb is its reasonable to spend 10% the value of whats in the safe on the safe...
Although i never wind up sticking to that rule becuase i overstuff my safes with shit.

Putting shit in your safe makes no cense, I use my toilet and it has never been stolen.

The fact remains that 99% of these gun thefts happen when nobody is at home. If I had a remote house or something I'd definitely have a TL rated plate safe. The safes really aren't that expensive in the grand scheme of things, the only annoying part is the costs to get it moved there. After that the rest is gravy.

-Mike

I agree, and I own 2. When I started collecting, I said to myself " I will never fill a 24 gun safe ". Two years later I was telling myself what a dumbass I am.

To take your home safe protection to the next level add Safelert to your layered security. It's a very small box made by Liberty Safe that installs in your safe. It connects to your home's WiFi and monitors for vibration, movement, temp change, humidity change and the door opening. When one or any of these things are detected it email/texts you letting you know right away. It's $200 and there is no additional fees associated. Once set up, it adds another layer to your home security.

http://www.libertysafe.com/accessory-safelert-monitoring-system-ps-17-pg-85.html

To take your home safe protection to the next level add Safelert to your layered security. It's a very small box made by Liberty Safe that installs in your safe. It connects to your home's WiFi and monitors for vibration, movement, temp change, humidity change and the door opening. When one or any of these things are detected it email/texts you letting you know right away. It's $200 and there is no additional fees associated. Once set up, it adds another layer to your home security.

http://www.libertysafe.com/accessory-safelert-monitoring-system-ps-17-pg-85.html

That is really a cool product, and affordable.

That is really a cool product, and affordable.

It is and pretty simple to set up. Have one in my safe and it definitely works. if you look at the reviews they have over 400 positive reviews of the product. Only down side is you have the change the battery every 6 months or so, but that's not a big deal.

And how do we know that? lol

Back
Top Bottom