• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun safe fail

You're right. Because every burglar comes in with a grinder, face-shield, ladder and 20-30 minutes to cut the side of your safe off.

Criminals are dumb. They don't watch Youtube. They watch Jerry Springer.

So you don't have any power tools in your basement, garage, tool shed, etc.?

Criminals are lazy but they aren't complete morons.

You're right. Because every burglar comes in with a grinder, face-shield, ladder and 20-30 minutes to cut the side of your safe off.

Criminals are dumb. They don't watch Youtube. They watch Jerry Springer.

People choose to be criminals. Smart people and dumb people. There's plenty of relatively intelligent (not necessarily educated) non-white collar criminals out there. Like anyone else, they become good at what they spend their time doing.

Those videos are great for people that are law abiding as informational videos, but super dangerous because they give easy info to the boys "just about to turn their lives around" on how to get into these "safes"![rolleyes] WTF, most of the smash and grab guys wouldn't know that a cutoff wheel setup like that existed, let alone how to use it! It was so nice that the guy even told them it was only $8 at HF! I've obviously known about this situation for many years, but I'm also not the guy that you need to worry about. [rolleyes]

believe me the professional thiefs know all this shit with out you tube.
smash and grab will always be just that and the lazy thiefs are not going to put the effort into getting into the safe.. IF/WHEN your targeted for a professional B&E they are generally going to get what they are after. Several layers of protection will help keep that from happening

the worst videos to watch is how quickly a few guys can break in amd walk out with a 1200lb safe to take to a nice comfy place to gain access to the safe.

Last edited:
Fact is most of those big box store safes can be cut into with a hammer and a good flat head screwdriver, no power tools needed. If they didn't want to make any noise all they need is the above and a good pair of tin snips. All it takes is a tin knocker gone rogue.

tiny firemen in between the 2 sheets of metal.

Those videos are great for people that are law abiding as informational videos, but super dangerous because they give easy info to the boys "just about to turn their lives around" on how to get into these "safes"![rolleyes] WTF, most of the smash and grab guys wouldn't know that a cutoff wheel setup like that existed, let alone how to use it! It was so nice that the guy even told them it was only $8 at HF! I've obviously known about this situation for many years, but I'm also not the guy that you need to worry about. [rolleyes]

I wouldn't worry too much except for them getting blood all over your floor those things are dangerous if you have no mechanical ability.

WTF, most of the smash and grab guys wouldn't know that a cutoff wheel setup like that existed, let alone how to use it! It was so nice that the guy even told them it was only $8 at HF! I've obviously known about this situation for many years, but I'm also not the guy that you need to worry about. [rolleyes]

what???? theres a HF everywhere and those cutoff wheels are selling like cupcakes. I bet you there are more people who knew about these cut off wheels and own one, than people owning safes and/or guns

They've know how to do this for a long time. Back in the 80's a safe was stolen in Natick. Carried out the front door by 4-6 guys (deep muddy footprints) while the owner was away on vacation (big mistake, it wasn't bolted down). It was eventually found with the top cut off, and there was some fire damage. Almost funny when you consider that the owner had a more expensive safe when all he needed was a good cabinet BOLTED DOWN.

I leave a large angle grinder plugged in right next to my safe. But for some reason the blade has several large cracks that are very hard to see. I took the guard off to get a better look and just haven't got around to fixing it.
Such an accident happened in Medford

heres a link to the mess rather than a picture for the weak stomachs

http://sbvctech.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/zOAyZxU-580x435.jpg
Or a simple circular saw.

a friend of mine has a metal cutting circular saw. Loud as hell, but it cuts plate steel almost as fast as a sheet of plywood. You could cut the entire side off an RSC in maybe 3 minutes

I don't have an angle grinder in my basement. LOL. Maybe I should tape a $10 to my safe for them to bring their own. ;)

Again, it's a likelihood thing. No one would know what I have. You can't see it from the street. Someone looking to snatch and grab isn't going to spend an extra 30 min to see what you might have in there. I could be wrong, but if they could get into my house (which is no easy task, BTW), they'll grab the $200 TV in the living room and maybe the iPads on the kitchen counter. Beyond that, it's a lot of work to find anything in the house. Perhaps my knife "collection" on my office shelf. Nothing of significant value. Grab my oldest's jewelry tower - and get $1.99 of junk jewelry.

But any of my guns are too hidden or too far away to bother. Too much real estate to cover to make it worth your while. And, again, when under the time gun, you want to get the flock-of-seagulls out of there. I'm betting it takes 10-20 just to get INTO my house. And not a quiet 10-20. In a neighborhood that is filled with daytime homebodies.

IF you live in a tough part of town, you probably need a bit more. But I STILL don't see a burglar going for the safe with a grinder.

Such an accident happened in Medford

heres a link to the mess rather than a picture for the weak stomachs

http://sbvctech.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/zOAyZxU-580x435.jpg

a friend of mine has a metal cutting circular saw. Loud as hell, but it cuts plate steel almost as fast as a sheet of plywood. You could cut the entire side off an RSC in maybe 3 minutes

I have a concrete gas powered saw with a cutoff wheel on it. It cuts through steel pipe as if it was a paper towel tube. I would venture I could cut the face off a safe in about 30 seconds with it.

Anything man builds there is a tool that can take it apart. Nothing is indestructible. Given enough time anything can be dismantled. So the best defense is limiting their time alone with the item. One defensive item can easily be circumvented. So a series of deterrents is the best option.

This my friends is a steal.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ed-Class-5-Safe-w-Discount?highlight=gsa+safe

And yes, you can fit broken down ARs in it. I have a class 6.

http://www.navfac.navy.mil/navfac_w...rdware/SecurityContainers/FilingCabinets.html

Here are the guidelines for each per AA-F-358J (mine was AA-F-358F, guidelines were a little stricter)

http://www.navfac.navy.mil/content/...are Center/DoD_Lock_Program/PDFs/AA-F-358.pdf

Cut into the side of a drawer cabinet and you have to cut into the drawer as well.

That's why I purchased a safe designed as a sealed inner and outer wall system and had the air gap filled with poisonous gas. very few burgers bring gas masks on jobs. [rofl] [rofl]

Exactly!

A safe or even a lock box has to be only one part of a security system.

- Safe
- Dog
- Monitored alarm system
- Cameras
- Etc.

In most towns (likely not so in Boston) after an alarm trips the PD should be there in ~6 minutes.

Thieves don't really want to hang around someone's house for 20-30 minutes, too much risk of getting caught. So they are usually smash and grab perps.

Yes, there is always an exception to the general rule. That's what the moat and alligators are for! [smile]

I have all five and the ECT is plenty of retired neighbors. And like you said time is the thieves enemy.

i'm in the market for a safe right now and have been watching a ton of these safe failure videos. I was considering dropping some cash on a a safe at about the $2500-$3000 mark. For the difference in price between this and a $1,200 safe I don't know that you are neccesarily getting $1,800 more protection. I am considering hiding my safe which I think is important to do.

I even think that one of those construction gang boxes / job site tool boxes would be better than a really low end cabinet type safe.

A more expensive quality safe would help me sleep better at night for sure though

Last edited:
For the difference in price between this and a $1,200 safe I don't know that you are neccesarily getting $1,800 more protection.
Until you get into TL rates safes with exotic construction, it's all about the thickness of the steel. Anything can be ground through but as a general rule, in "gun safes" it's all about the thickness of the steel.

IF a guys in your house and has 20 min to screw around unimpeded by anyone I think you have bigger problems.

Not a problem if no alarm no dog all at work and neighbors dont give a shit

I know at least a half dozen people who don't even lock their house. They say that is why they have insurance, and they'd rather not deal with a broken door jam. I'd at least like to slow the bad guys down enough to have them try somewhere else first.

In my opinion safes just tell the thief where your guns or valuables are. When I had one it was kept basically empty as a decoy. It was also a cheap steel box I had to CMA in ma. For the kind of money you'll spend on a "good" safe you could get a skilled carpenter/cabinet maker to build you a hidden space within a wall or floor that a thief would never know exists. I have built this even in my crappy house and it is invisible. I do not have a lot of guns cause I'm a poor bastard now but I have a couple of rifles and hand guns and various hidden cavities to hide them in. It needs to be done flawlessly or it will be apparent something is going on. Of course make sure the guy you hire is on the up and up. A thief can't steal what he can't see or find. I have never posted or sent a picture of my hiding spot to anyone and have only shown them to those who need to know where the hide is. Many people have stood inches from my hidden guns and never had a clue. Hide in plain sight is the best method imo. Ymmv

I employ a decoy safe aswell, its not bolted down and is right next to the door. Its contents include a brick, two glass bottles, a pack of napkins, and a rather nasty hand written note.

Theifs are like the guys on "storage wars" they get all excited over a safe that typical has nothing of value in it.

Back
Top Bottom