Gun Safe: Electronic lock?

je25ff

NES Member
So kids are probably in the picture this year and my gun buying addiction has me to 3 firearms so far. More to come I'm sure.

I found a safe for $800.00 that has 30 min. fire protection and is about 500 lbs (assuming it has decent break in protection as well) but it has a dam electronic lock! It also has a USB hookup and I have no idea for what.

Anyone think an electronic lock is a bad idea?

Jeff,
My personal belief is keep it simple, call me old fashion but I like a safe that has no possibility of failing. If security is a concern look for a safe that has a key and combo option.

It also has a USB hookup and I have no idea for what.?
This is an option for you to hook up a portable hard drive through the usb. Allows you to store the hd and information securely.

Hope this helps!

Graham

Just my opinion, but I prefer not to rely on any cheap crap electronics to access my firearms.

And no, I'm not a technophobe... quite the opposite. :)

A guy who sells safes for a living once told me "well, I could sell you one with an electronic lock, but I'll be selling you a new lock in 6 years" When I asked him what kind of lock was on his safe at his house he said "mechanical."

This is an option for you to hook up a portable hard drive through the usb. Allows you to store the hd and information securely.Graham

That's cool actually, but I think I agree with most of you. An electronic lock relies on too many things. I would prefer a mechanical lock. Oh well, back to searching.

Well, I'll be the odd duck here and tell you that I would never do anything but a programmable electronic lock. I am old, half-senile and lousy at remembering and working three number safe combinations. Plus I can work an electronic lock without my glasses and even in total darkness. And it is much, much faster by any standard.

CLMN

Well, I'll be the odd duck here and tell you that I would never do anything but a programmable electronic lock. I am old, half-senile and lousy at remembering and working three number safe combinations. Plus I can work an electronic lock without my glasses and even in total darkness. And it is much, much faster by any standard.

CLMN

I'm with you all the way. Most anyone that says different, never owned or used an electronic safe... When I bought mine last year from Eastern Security safe... I went to the place of business, there was a wharehouse full of any safe you can imagine. I spent all the time I needed talking with the owner who is a shooter and gun owner himself. I raised the questions of locks and he recommended the electronics all the way. It matters not to him what I purchased as he had both available. I purchased the electronic and love it, he assued me the chances of a malfunction were way over-exaggerated. Since owning it, I love it for all the reasons CLMN posted. I have actually practiced opening it under duressful situations, in the dark ect.. it doesn't matter to me what you get, but I wanted to share actual ownership experiences..

Count me into the electronic lock bunch. I actaully switched the S&G combo lock on my safe for a S&G 6120. It's faster, easier, and there is a greater than 50% chance that my wife would be able to open it if required. I have no qualms about the lifetime of a quality lock.

Count me into the electronic lock bunch. I actaully switched the S&G combo lock on my safe for a S&G 6120. It's faster, easier, and there is a greater than 50% chance that my wife would be able to open it if required. I have no qualms about the lifetime of a quality lock.

Me too. When I got my second safe, I had Eastern switch out the S&G combination on my first safe as well. So much faster easier to use. I've had them 5+ years without any problems.

That's cool actually, but I think I agree with most of you. An electronic lock relies on too many things. I would prefer a mechanical lock. Oh well, back to searching.

What's too manythings... a 9v battery, vs light, time, memory and don't be off a line or else you start from the beginning... I'm old enough to know how much fun a manual lock can be....

I use both S&G locks and electronic locks at work. The electronic locks have made marked improvements since they were introduced. In terms of durability, however, mechanical locks are still more durable. When I purchased a new safe in 2008 from Eastern Security Safes, I opted for a traditional S&G lock as its reliability is well known and documented.

There is nothing wrong with old and proven technology. The B52 Bomber and the M1911 come to mind. The very best telephone in my house is a vintage Western Electric Rotary dial. Laugh if you like, and call me a Luddite (actually I embrace technology when it is a marked improvement over an existing product or device) but the track record of the mechanical lock spans decades of reliable service.

In the end, get what you like, but I tend to lean towards the S&G.

Mark L.

Yes, Simplex locks are simple and reliable. Not very secure, however, with only about 1000 combinations.

That's right, I would never rely on a Simplex push button lock as a primary lock. Where there are certain areas that are required to have double locks per Federal Regulations, the Simplex cipher lock makes a great "day lock" or secondary locking device, but I would never have one as a primary lock on a safe for the reason that M1911 cited.

Mark L.

I'm a computer guy, and I can tell you electronic locks WILL fail in your time of need.

I'm also a computer guy. An electronic lock is one heck of a lot simpler than a computer. And I've got 5+ years daily experience with two electronic locks. Neither have failed. And in my time of need, I'll get that electronic lock open in time. I wouldn't have gotten my S&G dial lock open in time.

I'm also a computer guy. An electronic lock is one heck of a lot simpler than a computer. And I've got 5+ years daily experience with two electronic locks. Neither have failed. And in my time of need, I'll get that electronic lock open in time. I wouldn't have gotten my S&G dial lock open in time.

Are they both S&G? Just curious. I have a cheap Stack-On drawer safe which doesn't look/feel particularly reliable and I'm thinking about investing in something better (bigger).

Are they both S&G? Just curious. I have a cheap Stack-On drawer safe which doesn't look/feel particularly reliable and I'm thinking about investing in something better (bigger).
One of my safe's is a Liberty. I think the other is a Champion. I don't remember the manufacturer of the electronic dial.

I use both S&G locks and electronic locks at work.

My electronic lock is an S&G.

Low-quality locks are low-quality locks, whether they're mechanical or electronic. The same folks that make nice, secure mechanical combination locks (Sargent and Greenleaf) make nice, secure electronic locks, as well.

Swapping out the mechanical S&G and installing the electronic S&G in my Liberty safe took about two hours, and would have been faster but I was paranoid about tripping the relocker.

Sorry, there's just no way I would ever trust an electronic anything, especially when it's for that.

Your choice. I have direct experience with it. It works. Reliably.

Call any locksmith or safe vendor and ask how often they have to replace electronic locks vs. mechanical ones.

So a marginal difference in reliability should be discounted?

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a second.

What I'm saying is

Remmington 870 rate of failure : Mossberg 500 rate of failure

as

Mechanical rate of failure : electronic rate of failure

While all 4 examples are arguably reliable, I make my choices based on reliability.

And with a dimple cut over the 0 of my tumbler I can open my safe in the dark.

The mechanical locks may have a better track record than the electronic ones, but my S&G has gone 11 years and one battery change with no problems, and I can enter the combo without my reading glasses on! Time will tell how reliable they will be. The biggest threat I see that might affect everyone with electronic locks is an EMP attack, and how likely is that, really?

Personally, I don't think that one's big safe should be the "go to" thing if the SHTF. I think SHTF weapons should be more easily accessible for emergency use.

So a marginal difference in reliability should be discounted?
So a huge difference in the time to open should be discounted?

I had the S&G dial for 5 years. I prefer the electronic dial. It is faster. It is far easier to use. I've replaced the battery once without any problems. They work.

So a huge difference in the time to open should be discounted?

I had the S&G dial for 5 years. I prefer the electronic dial. It is faster. It is far easier to use. I've replaced the battery once without any problems. They work.

Aha! Now we're getting somewhere. The availability vs easy of use argument. This I cannot discount at all. Electronic locks have certainly come a long way since I first started toying with them, but I just can't bring myself to trust them.

Maybe it has something to do with this recurring dream I have about machines coming together to take over the world.

Yikes! It's amazing that some people here have decided to go out on a limb and actually use automobiles, computers, cell phones and... GOD HELP US... airplanes!!! Holy cow!!! How risky!!!

If it ain't purely mechanical, how can it possibly be trusted??? [thinking]

CLMN

Yikes! It's amazing that some people here have decided to go out on a limb and actually use automobiles, computers, cell phones and... GOD HELP US... airplanes!!! Holy cow!!! How risky!!!

If it ain't purely mechanical, how can it possibly be trusted??? [thinking]

bow-down-together.gif

Back
Top Bottom