Gun safe deal at BJ's

racer1245

NES Member
I was looking for a safe about 2 months ago and they were either 1) not available or 2) very expensive.

If you have a BJ's membership this looks like a really good deal. 24 gun, 75 minutes @ 1400, waterproof. Only $399 and it's in stock at store so no freight! Sale ends 5-27-20.

Stay Safe

Do not buy any safe with an electronic lock. If you want to know why, take a look at Lock picking Lawyer on You-Tube.

A real safe is something you buy once. If you go for the lowest price, you'll end up buying something real later.

My advice is to buy from a place in the safe business, not a big box retailer. I recommend Boston lock & Safe, 30 Lincoln St., Brighton. And you want a safe with a mechanical Sargent and Greenleaf lock.

If you buy from one of their Mass stores, make sure they don't try to charge you sales tax like they did to me.
That's right, they tried, I told them what the law was and I wasn't paying it. I ended up taking my business elsewhere.

Do not buy any safe with an electronic lock. If you want to know why, take a look at Lock picking Lawyer on You-Tube.

A real safe is something you buy once. If you go for the lowest price, you'll end up buying something real later.

My advice is to buy from a place in the safe business, not a big box retailer. I recommend Boston lock & Safe, 30 Lincoln St., Brighton. And you want a safe with a mechanical Sargent and Greenleaf lock.

Where's the video of him actually busting a standup safe lock though? Most of his electronic lock exploits are mechanical or based off some other design flaw. (like on shitty handgun safes, etc).

Not saying it can't be done, I'm sure there are exploits for a lot of them.

ETA: IMHO the main reason to buy a mechanical lock safe is that over time, if something goes awry, you will likely know before its too late. With an electronic if the solenoid or whatever
fails, you're basically up the creek.

-Mike

ETA: IMHO the main reason to buy a mechanical lock safe is that over time, if something goes awry, you will likely know before its too late. With an electronic if the solenoid or whatever

-Mike
That's why mine has a secondary key lock, so I don't need an operable electronic lock to get in.

Where's the video of him actually busting a standup safe lock though? Most of his electronic lock exploits are mechanical or based off some other design flaw. (like on shitty handgun safes, etc).

-Mike
There are, in my opinion, two reason to avoid electronic locks. One has to do with the vulnerability of most to a simple magnetic bypass. The other involves the necessity of a keyed secondary means of access, most of which easily zipped, raked or picked. My third reason (yes, I know I said two reasons) is that if you buy a real safe from a real safe and lock company with a real S&L mechanical lock, it is more likely to receive periodic maintenance.

That's why mine has a secondary key lock, so I don't need an operable electronic lock to get in.

A dime to a dollar says I can pick your keyed backup access in under a minute. And I am not a skilled lock picker.
The keyed access, necessary for electronic locks, is a weakness, not a strength.

You are correct.

Pretty much all electronic gun safe locks except those like the Kaba-Mas X-## series or S&G 2740B can be hacked. The Taylor Security Phoenix makes short work of it doing a 007 opening in about 15 minutes. Not dial manipulation, but replacing the keypad and sending signals representing pushbuttons on the wire while monitoring and analyzing leaked info. The S&G rep emailed me confirmation that the Phoenix will open the current S&G Titan electronic locks. Taylor claims the Phoenix works on many brands and dozens of lock models. There is another black box device specific to certain S&G lock models.

But, you have to pretend to be a real locksmith and spring about $3K for a phoenix, and can't get the black one one that defeats the audit trail unless you are an overlord (locksmiths can buy the orange unit).

The Phoenix works using information leakage. Each time you press a button, there is a current draw profile, and delay for the confirming beep or LED to go off. You would never notice these, but electronic instrumentation can and do use it to rapidly converge to an opening combination. I still don't understand why this does not disqualify these locks from a UL Group I rating. The aforementioned GSA approved locks each run over $1K each, and the legit suppliers will not sell a mere civilian the latest Kaba-Mas model.

Back
Top Bottom