"Gun Recovery and Safe Keeping Membership Club": Alternative to Bonded Warehouse loss

Reptile

NES Member
This is what I want a FFL at the mill to do for our community:

Somebody needs to start a "Gun Recovery and Safe Keeping Membership Club".

Offer truly fair rates for gun and ammo storage.

Post the actual rates on a website and create an estimator app directly built into the website.
You select how much stuff you will potentially need to store. Handguns, Rifles, Ammo (per pound), odd accessories.

Show your total expenses after X many month. Show the transfer fee (in bulk) for all your stuff to be received and potentially transferred back to you to another FFL or person. You can offer a consignment fee to sell at your shop.

If a person wants to see expenses after different periods of time, he can adjust the months in the app and chart it out so longer time frames offer better savings.

Keep all these fees LOW and FAIR.

Depending on the persons needs, he can get a good idea whether or not to store or sell of the guns.

Here is how you make up for low fees...

Charge a yearly membership fee...

$20

This will grant the member VIP access to your services.

You will be available at a moments notice to collect all the guns and ammo from a member (before confiscation) or the police (after confiscation).

It's like having insurance against bonded warehouse loss.

20 bucks/year for drop everything and run out the door service 24/7? so it's a charity and the 20 dollar membership fee and other storage fees if needed are tax deductible. if it were me....ahhh, but it's not.

I think he meant a $20 membership fee (annual?) PLUS pre-determined published fees for the various services such as pick up, storage, transfer, sale, etc. Maybe get a good 2A attorney to partner and also offer their services as well.

Sounds like a great idea.

I think if we could come up with a way to make bonded warehouses competitive we would accomplish the same thing but better and easier. Some way for ABC guns in Anytown, MA compete with XYZ firearms a few minutes away in Somewhere, MA on storage rates.
You get that started, bonded warehouses aren't the boogeyman anymore, more stores get into it, and if you're a believer in any economics at all, it makes for better service and lower prices.

If it is such a great idea, write up a business plan. Figure out what numbers it would take to make it work.

Start this service and tell us how you make out.
I don't have time for this. I don't have storage, a truck, and I'm not going to be on call for anyone.
There's no fair price in a coercive transaction
It's not coercive if you agree to the terms.

When the PD dumps your stuff at a Bonded Warehouse - that is much, much worse.

All married men should be first to sign up for membership...

At the first sign the wife if looking to screw you over - get rid of the guns FIRST - THEN kick her to the curb.

If time is on your side - you can save money by transporting the collection yourself to the Membership FFL.

You'll know all your fees ahead of time.

Don't even tell your whore wife that the guns are not in the safe.
That way when she tells the cops how your threatened to blow her head off and she says you put the gun back in the safe...

The cops will come over right away to confiscate your gun and when you open up the safe - suddenly the guns are all missing.

She'll vomit on the floor at the sight of an empty safe when she knows the cops know she lied to get you arrested.

The person to use the service would need to be proactive for this to work. Either before the user knows about a possible gun grab or quickly after a gun grab.
Works for most of this forum of course because they tend to know of the bonded warehouse process/scam, general MA firearms owner not so much.
Does someone have an example of fees from one of the trouble bonded warehouses?

The person to use the service would need to be proactive for this to work. Either before the user knows about a possible gun grab or quickly after a gun grab.
Works for most of this forum of course because they tend to know of the bonded warehouse process/scam, general MA firearms owner not so much.
Does someone have an example of fees from one of the trouble bonded warehouses?
You also have the FFL at the ready to collect from the Police right after confiscation.

They usually don't hand it to the bonded warehouse until after a few hours in custody.
Hey Reptile,
having some relationship problems? [popcorn]
Oh no, not me.

But, I'm ready for a counter attack at any moment.

Everybody should be ready.
Hey Yosemite,
having some vision problems?
I'm looking pretty sharp right now.

I just trimmed back a 2 month Covid beard.

If I'd lose 10 lbs I'd be at my fighting weight.

Chicks don't always dig my Kitanica pants though.
I wear them every day.
Although I have Kitanica jeans now, so I'm all ready for a night out.

I think if we could come up with a way to make bonded warehouses competitive we would accomplish the same thing but better and easier. Some way for ABC guns in Anytown, MA compete with XYZ firearms a few minutes away in Somewhere, MA on storage rates.
You get that started, bonded warehouses aren't the boogeyman anymore, more stores get into it, and if you're a believer in any economics at all, it makes for better service and lower prices.

Competitive for how much business? Seriously, how many guns need to be bonded every year? Not many, or certainly not enough to make it worth it. Why should the FFL make the service available at a loss? Wouldn't it make more sense to find an insurance company to sell "bonded storage" policy?

Competitive for how much business? Seriously, how many guns need to be bonded every year? Not many, or certainly not enough to make it worth it. Why should the FFL make the service available at a loss? Wouldn't it make more sense to find an insurance company to sell "bonded storage" policy?
Enough that there are a bunch of bonded firearm warehouses in this state that make enough money from it they keep doing it even with the backlash.
Every domestic dispute, RO, divorce, arrest, etc involving a gun owner means a bonded warehouse is probably involved. And something like 1/10 people in the state has a license and more than that have a gun.

They wouldn’t make it available at a loss they’d just make it more competitive. There would obviously be some sort of floor based on the headache and cost of doing business, but you’d be forced toward that floor to get business.

Enough that there are a bunch of bonded firearm warehouses in this state that make enough money from it they keep doing it even with the backlash.
Every domestic dispute, RO, divorce, arrest, etc involving a gun owner means a bonded warehouse is probably involved. And something like 1/10 people in the state has a license and more than that have a gun.

They wouldn’t make it available at a loss they’d just make it more competitive. There would obviously be some sort of floor based on the headache and cost of doing business, but you’d be forced toward that floor to get business.

Without an actual number of how many guns per year, you are just speculating. It just doesn't seem like a big number. Certainly not enough to build s business.

Every domestic dispute, RO, divorce, arrest, etc involving a gun owner means a bonded warehouse is probably involved.
definitely not "every." some towns use bonded warehouses; others don't.

find out how many cities regularly use the thefthouses, then find out how many cases they actually produce per year, and you can start to get a feel for how big a market this is. I'd not be surprised if only red cities are particularly likely to take part in the program, because they're the ones that hate private ownership so much.

O'Xiden will be around to collect all the guns soon enough, permanently. Temporary storage, at prices that NES'ers are willing to pay (a lot don't even want to pay for a membership) will not be necessary.

I have a plan. I will provide "The Service" for the NES preferred rate of FREE. You will just need to drop off all your guns NOW, and I will rent them back to you when you want to use them. Rates will be determined based on usage. Think of it as a conjugal visit fee [rofl]

(range rental usage must be agreed to prior to drop off. Cleaning and maintenance fee's not included)

Last edited:
No kickback fee with my plan! And a non usage "Touch and Feel, or dress-up" option may be available!

Last edited:
I've always thought about something similar but with a crisis structure.
Having picked up a firearm here or there in the dead of night for a friend that was having a hard time there should be legal places to turn when you don't trust yourself but you trust the police less.

As an example, I have an acquaintance who called me at 2 AM on a Friday night a few years ago, his parents had both recently passed and his wife was really struggling with cancer and wasn't expected to make it. He said "Hey man, I'm sorry its late, but I need you to come get my guns" I brought over two cold beers, offered to listen, left about an hour later with a LTC in an envelope, a note loaning the firearms to me, and two firearms.

Story turns out happily, his wife beat cancer, he's doing better and is back to his normal self and everything was returned no problem. If he'd made that call to the police he'd never get the chance to compete in another competition or ring steel at 1000y again.

Why not just a "good" bonded warehouse? What does that take? Or is that what we're talking about? TLDR

Back
Top Bottom