• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun ranges that let unlicensed guests shoot

I asked at the Boston Gun and Rifle Association (http://www.bostongunclub.net/) if I could bring unlicensed guests to the range so they could try shooting. They said that wasn't allowed.

Are there any ranges that allow this sort of thing? Do ranges like the Braintree Rifle Assoc. or other ranges near to Boston allow unlicensed guests? Am I going to have to take interested friends to the AFS in North Attleboro or Bob's Tactical in Salsbury?

Any advice would be great. This isn't a big concern for me, since I don't think it's going to come up often. But it'd be nice to know what the options are.

I know that I'm allowed to bring two guests with me when I go to my Club. I belong to Mansfield. And a co-worker belongs to Hanson, and he's allowed one guest with him.

So, I think that most clubs allow a minimal amount of guests per member a year.

And when I go to the site for your club. They have that for 10 bucks, a non family guest is allowed to use the range.

So I don't know why they would tell you that you're not allowed. If so, then why is it on the website?

http://www.bostongunclub.net/working file/membership.htm

C-pher, you're right, there is some allowance for guests. But, 'unlicensed' and 'non-family' are two different qualities.

It could be that the guy I spoke with didn't know the rules or didn't understand what I was asking. I'll bring up that info when I talk to them about it again.

Each club that I've belonged to allows you to bring ANYONE as a guest. Since you are 100% RESPONSIBLE for them, their actions, inactions, behavior, damage, etc. whether they are licensed or not is irrelevant!

Hmm, from the scuttle-butt that I've heard at the SAS sessions at BR&P, some of those folks have no license at all. I wonder if nobody mentioned it at Boston where they practice on the 4th Friday each month?

To directly answer the question:

- BR&P allows it, must be a guest of a member.
- Sharon F&G did allow it last I knew (1999), ditto - guest of member.
- Ames sort of allows it . . . but they can only be a guest two times in their lifetime! They also have to sign a legal waiver (along with the responsible member).

All of the above allowed you to bring your spouse/children an unlimited number of times (having not been a member of Sharon F&G since 1999, can't say that it is still true, but suspect as much). Member is always responsible for what guest does.

John Jay said:
C-pher, you're right, there is some allowance for guests. But, 'unlicensed' and 'non-family' are two different qualities.

I see, I missunderstood what you were asking.

Yes, as Len said the clubs that I mentioned don't care if they are unlicensed or not as you are the one that has to keep an eye on them.

Each club that I've belonged to allows you to bring ANYONE as a guest. Since you are 100% RESPONSIBLE for them...

...the clubs that I mentioned don't care if they are unlicensed or not as you are the one that has to keep an eye on them.

That's the kind of policy that makes sense to me. I'm glad it sounds like the common-sense standard at most places. I'll ask again at the Boston club; hopefully it was just a miscommunication.

But, 'unlicensed' and 'non-family' are two different qualities.
I'm a member of a couple gun clubs and have been to several others as guests. I don't know of any gun club that requires guests to have licenses.

M1911 said:
But, 'unlicensed' and 'non-family' are two different qualities.
I'm a member of a couple gun clubs and have been to several others as guests. I don't know of any gun club that requires guests to have licenses.

We can bring guests to HHRG, and as long as they're with us, they're okay. The club rules don't say anything as to whether or not they need to be licensed.

Come to think of it, that's kind of stupid for a gun club not to let people who don't have a license shoot as long as they're with a member of the club as a guest. How the heck are we supposed to increase our numbers if a club won't let a non-licensed person on the gounds?

I actually tested the BGRA policy. Their policy really is that non-licensed guests are not allowed in the range. But, non-licensed people ARE allowed on the range if they are getting instruction from Bob ($10). So we did that, and Nick got to shoot as much as he wanted. Bob watched him for a few rounds to make sure he was safe and then left Nick to shoot as much as he wanted and occasionally stopped by to give some advice on targetting.

I found this to be an acceptable compromise because my brother has never shot a handgun before. So, in addition to what I had taught him about shooting, having an experienced teacher like Bob keeping an eye on his form and safety habits for the first few targets was fine with me.

We shot .357 magnums out of the new gun for the first time--I've been practicing exclusively with .38s. It is reassuring to know that I can ramp up the power that much if necessary. Nick didn't like the more powerful loads that much, but that was because we shot them at the end of the session. His arm was tired by then, so he didn't find it to be very fun. I'll have to consider that if I take anyone else shooting.

Patrick and I take my sister and her boyfriend to the MRA www.massrifle.com frequently.

Never had any problems or complaints. And nobody has ever asked who's licensed and who isn't. As long as everybody follows the safety rules then I don't think it matters.

Back
Top Bottom