Gun Range Jerks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaving Danvers fish and game at the end of this month after 15 years because of the assh@le range officers there. It was fine when 90 year old blind and deaf guys ran it. We now have uptight retired types that think they and their few lifer friends somehow own the place. Had a confrontation with one the other day, first time ever. Long story short I had a new guy to shooting with me. We walk in to sigh up and he's all over us with "the rules" as if a nervous first timer is going to hear all that mess being thrown at him. Right off the bat without even a gun out of the car my guest makes the mistake of leaning the target stand against the bench to staple the target to it, not a gun out of the car yet. Over the load speaker comes "get off the table". So ok he messed up, point taken. Not enough. Soon as everyone's back and firing has begun here comes stick up his ass practically running towards us, again not even a gun present. As he gets to us I say with a smile we know, sorry. He snaps at me "no you don't know!" Well that's when I finally had it. I won't go into what I said but let's just say I was bullshit and let years of frustration with this guy fly. Every little infraction I've seen him make was thrown right back at him. We didn't even shoot I was too piss*d to have any fun at this point. Worst thing is I was telling my guest how bad it had become with the range nazis the whole ride over to the place. Anyway f them. Myself and at least 4 others are leaving this June and taking our biz and any new members we would have brought in with us somewhere else. Sucks but I don't need some dink with his first little taste of what he thinks is power turning what should be a fun few hours into a stress filled time. Rant over.

I am so glad we don't have any of this BS. I go there to have fun. I quit golfing due to all the a-holes on the course. I went to relax and usually came home more wound up than when I left

Back in the final days of the S&W range there was an individual with a few of his friends renting a few lanes down from me wearing a hoodie. Now, I was inside the "walls" at the time but there were a good five or so people along the back watching people shoot, one of which being my father.

Hoodie gets a hot piece of brass flying into his hoodie, jumps and spins, sweeping the previously mentioned five people in the back with a hot gun and his finger on the trigger. The head range officer was not pleased. I believe the first words everyone heard very clearly were, "All effing weapons on the deck right now!" He then proceeded to go full R. Lee Ermy on the guy. It was truly a sight to behold and thankfully no one was hurt.

I was at a class up at Sig when a relatively young girl got a hot piece of brass down her shirt. She did a little dance and got it out, but kept the rifle straight down range the whole time. When youre getting burned, instincts tend to take over and its easy to do something stupid but she did a good job of keeping her head and staying safe. Instructor went out of his way to tell her so.

Leaving Danvers fish and game at the end of this month after 15 years because of the assh@le range officers there.

Feel like I dodged a bullet by passing up DFG. (no pun intended) There were 3 guys, out of like 20 of us, from DFG when I joined my club that had bailed from there. They were diplomatic about it, but were glad to be somewhere else.

I had an operator show up with his extra killified AR, proceed to try to impress the gun noob he was with, and then when the gun noob suggested he pick up his brass, said operator waved him off.

That one has always stuck with me.

it's a battle of the undesirables --- which is worse: self-appointed range buzzkills or unsafe idiots with poor handling? I guess you can fix ignorance but you can't fix douchy.

As I read the OP that "Jerk" might have very well gotten swept. Because you were loading a mag at the time maybe you didn't see it.

But here is where it gets real interesting: The guy says something to you about it (Gun clubs heavily promote this) and guess who ends up copping the attitude?

And to make matters even worse your Dad gets a free pass for being ex military? It is ridiculously easy to sweep someone with a firearm. I'd bet it actually happened. By your description he handled it fairly well. And your post explains why he left soon after.

Funny how an unbiased view can shine a light in such a way that might have never before been seen...

Now I must sound like a jerk right?

There are idiots at every club. I just pack up and go home. the last thing I want to do is get into an argument with an idiot with a gun.
Most likely they wont change their ways any way.

I pretty much hate everyone. Keeps it simple.

I had my WASR10 at DF&G when I still belonged there. Before I quit in disgust. So the buzzer goes off and I slide the bolt open , there's a little trick with some AKs that will make the bolt stay open. So the guns clear , I step behind the line.

Guy next to me glances at the rifle , and says " we need to clear the guns when the buzzer goes off. "
" yup. It's clear. "
" if you stovepipe a piece of brass in the bolt it'll hold it open so we all know its safe. "
" the bolt is open"
" Here , take this piece of brass for ..."
"Please stop talking. My rifle is clear. The action is open. Look. "

At this point the RSO has approached us . And commenced berating the helpful guy for hovering over my rifle after the buzzer.

the first time my wife went shooting she was shooting a handgun. It misfired and before I could stop her - she looked down the barrel to see where it was stuck. That was YEARS ago but I remember it like yesterday. She has come a long way since then and now practices good gun safety and has her LTC-A.

the first time my wife went shooting she was shooting a handgun. It misfired and before I could stop her - she looked down the barrel to see where it was stuck. That was YEARS ago but I remember it like yesterday. She has come a long way since then and now practices good gun safety and has her LTC-A.

JFC.

The shooting sports tends to have three groups of people 1. super great people you trust your life with 2. Socially retarded freaks that do not know how to communicate with people. 3. Old miserable ****s that need to die

Luckily type 1 people dominate the sport, you just have to ignore #2 and #3. I hope when I am older I don't turn into a know-it-all nitwit.

CML

The only times I have had someone say something was when I deserved it. Usually someone in my group though. Has only happened a couple times - mostly when I was a real pistol nube.

As I read the OP that "Jerk" might have very well gotten swept. Because you were loading a mag at the time maybe you didn't see it.

The guy came up from behind us. He indicated to me that I would be the one hurt in an accident. No way could he have been swept.

But here is where it gets real interesting: The guy says something to you about it (Gun clubs heavily promote this) and guess who ends up copping the attitude?

Yes,I want people, myself included, to be told when they making mistakes.

And to make matters even worse your Dad gets a free pass for being ex military? It is ridiculously easy to sweep someone with a firearm. I'd bet it actually happened. By your description he handled it fairly well. And your post explains why he left soon after.

My dad is former military, have some respect please. He knows how to handle a gun, no free pass needed, because as I stated I don't believe he swept anyone. Barrel was pointing towards the ground. Guy was carrying his things to a locker when approached me, he was already leaving.

Sounds like you are that guy, short, blond, condescending sneer?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My only beef at my range has been a certain fellow who will interrupt you, mid-magazine, and ask to see your range card. This is a guy who I have spoken with on at least a dozen occasions, but he still has to 'card' me every once in a while.

I get it, we want to make sure that only members are using the range, but wait until I finish the magazine for God's sake.

The guy came up from behind us. He indicated to me that I would be the one hurt in an accident. No way could he have been swept.

Yes,I want people, myself included, to be told when they making mistakes.

My dad is former military, have some respect please. He knows how to handle a gun, no free pass needed, because as I stated I don't believe he swept anyone. Barrel was pointing towards the ground. Guy was carrying his things to a locker when approached me, he was already leaving.

Sounds like you are that guy, short, blond, condescending sneer?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
Ruh Roh

[popcorn]

I had a guy tell my dad we couldn't shoot our SP89 with a SIG-Tac brace indoors because it was a rifle. After we sat there for 10 minutes explaining to him it's a pistol and not a SBR he left us alone. My dad has been a member of this club longer than this guy had his LTC. Met him 2 years ago when he first got his LTC and all of a sudden he's a Range Officer telling us what we can shoot. Smh

It's the talkers I can't stand. I'm there to shoot not yap but there is one guy at my range who loves to talk! he's a nice enough guy but man he never shuts up! He's also there almost every day so he seems to think the range is his. Most times I mind my own business but I will politely say something to someone if they are doing something unsafe...Like mag dumping an AK from the hip. Sorry, but you have no effing clue where those rounds are going.

Then there are the guys who are like the self appointed range police and always feel the need to ask you why you are shooting a particular gun at a particular range. These are usually the people who shoot .22s at 25 yards with a rest!

Absolutely.....I love the boom of a mosin 91-30......so much that my next gun will be a mosin m44! Those suckers really go booooooom!

Yeah they do. Warwickben and I always bring pairs of mosins and a variety of ammo to compare. The last time we went shooting the T53 muzzle blast was blowing snow off the damn roof. [rofl]

Yeah they do. Warwickben and I always bring pairs of mosins and a variety of ammo to compare. The last time we went shooting the T53 muzzle blast was blowing snow off the damn roof. [rofl]
Hell yeah that's what I'm talking about!

I was at an indoor range and the guy to my left was shooting a pistol. He was a tall guy so his arms went way past the line and infront of the lane dividers. Every one of his casing ejections flew at about 5oclock angle and hit my face, head. and upper arms. I tried to move further back but then the casings would hit my forearms and my pistol. It was a full house so I couldnt switch lanes.

After his mag was empty, I asked him if he would move backwards slightly so the casings would bounce off his divider rather than over in to my face.

He said, "Yeah, whatever dude." in a californian/skateboarder/surfer accent. Well, either that or he was being sarcastic trying to speak like a younger guy because I'm younger. He looked 50.

After a couple more mags, another lane opened up and he switched to my right side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom