Gun Range For Sale

Good. Maybe the next owner will run a better business. That range was scary as hell. Got yelled at there one time for dry firing a model 36...I soecifically asked the clerk showing it to me if he minded if I dry fire it and he said no problem. Next thing I know some dude comes rushing at me from out back and yelled "hey we don't dry fire collectible revolvers". I put the gun on the counter and walked out......I had the dead presidents to buy it too.....f*** him.....

The range was generally quite dirty, and I am not certain that it would pass an EPA inspection.

The range was generally quite dirty, and I am not certain that it would pass an EPA inspection.

I think OSHA fined them multiple times for failure to maintain proper cleanliness and minimum air quality standards. One range in (Granite State?) NH got hit once by OSHA for not wiping down booths frequently enough and managed to ace every reinspection thereafter.

I would wonder the same myself.
The new owner might find himself looking at a major bill to bring it up to standards .
I used to shoot there when it was under the second owner and it generally was pretty quiet.
Some of the stories I've heard in the last few years would make me think twice.
If it was me , I think I would go for a paid member type thing and some serious safety regs.

Pretty easy to have a place cleaned and then switch over to non-toxic range (no lead no problem) ammo to avoid the millions of dollars needed for modern HVAC and a dust trapping backstop. Issue is the higher fees to pay for non-toxic ammo.

Even switching to TMJ with non-toxic primers and a modern dust trapping backstop (no lead released at the firing line) solves the ventilation issue with a relatively smaller investment than full HVAC.

Problem is people are generally cheap and might not pay the higher range fees because of the higher ammo cost.

Issue is the higher fees to pay for non-toxic ammo.
The issue is finding customers willing to pay those fees, as well as enforcing clean ammo only. If 10% of your shooters buy a decoy box of clean and shoot a box or two of their own, you're back to a conventional range.

Pretty easy to have a place cleaned and then switch over to non-toxic range (no lead no problem) ammo to avoid the millions of dollars needed for modern HVAC and a dust trapping backstop. Issue is the higher fees to pay for non-toxic ammo.

Even switching to TMJ with non-toxic primers and a modern dust trapping backstop (no lead released at the firing line) solves the ventilation issue with a relatively smaller investment than full HVAC.

Problem is people are generally cheap and might not pay the higher range fees because of the higher ammo cost.
It's not a matter of might......they won't.

The issue is finding customers willing to pay those fees, as well as enforcing clean ammo only. If 10% of your shooters buy a decoy box of clean and shoot a box or two of their own, you're back to a conventional range.

Yeah, it forces a "must use range bought ammo policy", which = good luck doing that. Compliance is going to be difficult to impossible.

Last edited:

Unfortunately cleaning the range may not be either "pretty easy" or inexpensive.

The price of the range and property would have to be low enough to account for cleanup costs. The property also has some sort of auto body or auto repair shop as a tenant, which is also a potential "hazardous waste" problem. This is the type of business that the original owner could get by owning on a continuous basis. But, it will be difficult for any new owner to pay for cleanup costs, and still have a profitable business.

While these technologies are expensive, I doubt it would run $2M plus for a HEPA air filtering system on an indoor range.

Anyone ever go to the one on 28/18/whatever in Bridgewater???? I was fairly regular there when they first built it. Then the husband dipped his wick in the company inkwell and the wife went ballistic. Too bad. The wife was real nice. The guy was sorta a dink - I think he was just a nervous non-person type and it came off as arrogance. The chippy from BSU was fairly hot. LOL

Fat Cats bought it and took TWO YEARS to re-open the range. Last straw with him was when he said, "Oh, I'm not doing memberships. I don't need all the lanes filled up with guys that just sit around and take up range time all the time."

Ummmmm, what??? I'm the only person IN THE STORE! Why do you think when you open the range thousands of people are going to rush in here to shoot and stand around??? Every other business in the WORLD is trying to get a subscription model up. He's running headlong AWAY from it.

I assume he opened the range. But he seemed pretty old by then and that was over a decade ago. Haven't even been buy in a long long time. The range was state-of-the-art at the time. But the liability insurance must be atrocious.

Back
Top Bottom