gun purchase

If you are a ma. resident a have a MA. ltc along with a RI ltc is there still a 7 day wait? and can anyone tell me what section of the law this is written? and when?

RI has a 7 day wait for some firearms purchases. MA does not. It depends where the OP is buying. OP, where are you buying?

buying in RI. but have LTC in both states.

You have Resident permits in both states ???

Headscratch.gif

If you are a ma. resident a have a MA. ltc along with a RI ltc is there still a 7 day wait? and can anyone tell me what section of the law this is written? and when?

Maybe.

The waiting period is codified in RIGL 11-47-35...

RIGL 11-47-35 said:
(a)(1) No person shall deliver a pistol or revolver to a purchaser until seven (7) days shall have elapsed from twelve o'clock (12:00) noon of the day following the day of application for the purchase...

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/title11/11-47/11-47-35.HTM

...and RIGL 11-47-35.1 provides an exemption for town issued permits only...

RIGL 11-47-35.1 said:
The provisions of § 11-47-35 shall not apply to full-time members of the state police, full-time members of the state marshal's office, full-time members of city or town police departments, or state marshals or correctional officers or persons licensed under § 11-47-11.

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/title11/11-47/11-47-35.1.HTM

If you have an AG issued permit, the waiting period is mandatory.

Last edited:

Only if his ri ccw is town issued. 11-47-18 i believe is the ag permit which does not exclude the 7 day waiting period.

The correct answer is you have to wait the 7 days UNLESS you have the Chief of Police concealed carry permit. If you have the AG concealed carry permit you still have to wait the 7 days.

7 day wait is applicable to first handgun? Or all purchases? If you already have at least one gun, what purpose does waiting seven days accomplish? I assume it is to prevent crimes of passion which, if you already have a gun, you'd commit with your existing firearm.

And this wait is only for handguns? If you buy a rifle or shotgun there's no waiting period?

Only if his ri ccw is town issued. 11-47-18 i believe is the ag permit which does not exclude the 7 day waiting period.

The correct answer is you have to wait the 7 days UNLESS you have the Chief of Police concealed carry permit. If you have the AG concealed carry permit you still have to wait the 7 days.

Yes, you are both correct. Mea Culpa.

7 day wait is applicable to first handgun? Or all purchases? If you already have at least one gun, what purpose does waiting seven days accomplish? I assume it is to prevent crimes of passion which, if you already have a gun, you'd commit with your existing firearm.

And this wait is only for handguns? If you buy a rifle or shotgun there's no waiting period?

7 days regardless of whether or not you already own any firearms. This includes all firearms, handguns and long guns and shotguns.

It is supposed to be a "cool down" period like you stated and also as you stated, why would I go buy another gun to kill someone if I already owned one? It's a stupid "feel good" law.

Back
Top Bottom