• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun portal question

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
I'm the executor/personal representative of an estate currently in probate in MA. I will need to transfer some firearms to a family member. The guns were not mentioned in the will, but I know they were slated to this person verbally, well before death. I have not yet used the portal myself. My last transaction FTF was paper. My question is how much info about the transferee do I need? I couldn't find specifics online without entering the portal. On FA-10s of past, occupation and employer were listed. Do I need anything not on his LTC?
Thanks in advance!

To do a transfer you will need the following
1.) your LTC #
2.) owner's LTC #
3.) first and last name
4.) either your's or their's PIN #.

Never remember which person's pin is used.

If wrong others will correct me.

Thanks, I thought I could transfer these FTF, but there are extenuating circumstances I've become aware of....

- - - Updated - - -

Mod please close thread.

As an aside, talk to Lens about this, there are different rules for death related transfers and he has posted several times about it.

TY, I may reach out to him tomorrow, but I think I may need to visit a firearm atty as this situation has changed. There was no documented bequeathment. As executrix I'm responsible for guns. Crap.

Like others have said, Talk to Len first. I don't think you are required to give the inheritance info by state law. I know Len has advised against giving any more information than is legally required to the portal because of fishing expeditions by previous AGs.

Like others have said, Talk to Len first. I don't think you are required to give the inheritance info by state law. I know Len has advised against giving any more information than is legally required to the portal because of fishing expeditions by previous AGs.

Based on other threads, that is if it was explicitly left to another person in the estate. Not slated to, not verbally promised, written down and part of the will.

Any other transfer, needs to be done via FFL or FA10.

Yeah, no documentation...he took possession 2 yrs ago. Not inheritance, not mentioned in will. I don't want to be lawfully responsible for guns in his possession. I'll pm Len tomorrow, FRB Monday.

Agreed, talk to LenS /Len-2A Training and or a Firearms Attorney. I used Matt Trask before he got stolen away from me by Remington to be their Compliance Manager. I believe Julie Tolek has taken his place.

Though the guns may not be mentioned specifically in the will, at least there is one. It took eight months just to get my cousins massive collection out of his house, once the court appointed my Dad as the sole heir, since there was no will. It's been just over three years and we're still dealing with the estate [sad2]

Yeah, no documentation...he took possession 2 yrs ago. Not inheritance, not mentioned in will. I don't want to be lawfully responsible for guns in his possession. I'll pm Len tomorrow, FRB Monday.

In this situation Lens and a lawyer would be better calls. Don't invite the state into the conversation unless you have to. If you bring the state in before a lawyer you might have a bigger headache.

Based on other threads, that is if it was explicitly left to another person in the estate. Not slated to, not verbally promised, written down and part of the will.

Any other transfer, needs to be done via FFL or FA10.

Correct as stated.

However, guns don't have to be listed in a will any more than books, record collection, etc. If a will states that "all my personal property goes to x" that is more than adequate.

Handguns to a MA person to inherit them will "die in MA" if they touch an FFL . . . a very real problem due to our anti-dealer law from 1998. It is why I go into great detail wrt inheritance in my MA Gun Law Seminar.

Sorry for your loss.

Please no PMs, use Email. You have an Email address for me from our NES-Natick monthly get-together Emails. Or you can join us Tuesday evening and ask all your questions face to face.

Please do NOT contact FRB, they intentionally created a webform for inheritance that has lots of NOT REQUIRED info and if followed would deny inheritance from an out of state deceased (in direct violation of MA and Fed Law).

Please read this thread first that I purposely created to answer all the inheritance issues. It's a sticky in the MA Gun Law sub-forum (always a good idea to review the list of stickies before posting questions on laws):

https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/5804-MA-Gun-Laws-(Fed-amp-MA)-and-Inheritance

Back
Top Bottom