• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun ownership tied to suicide deaths

OMG!!

We need rope control..
Ban high capacity string!

Reasonable common sense restrictions on rope.
Nobody needs 100' of rope!

People who live near a water source are more likely to drown than those who do not (sarcasm). If someone really wants to check out (not the old cry for help)...then they will. They will find a way. A gun generally ensures you get it done quickly w/o pain. Kind of makes sense doesn't it?
In other news, swimming pool, hot tub and waterfront property ownership tied to higher probability of drowning.

And rates of accidental death by drowning is about 50x higher than accidental death by firearm.

And rates of accidental death by drowning is about 50x higher than accidental death by firearm.

Anyone remember the public pool a summer or two ago where somebody drowned and nobody (including the lifeguards) noticed for a few days until the body floated up or something?

BAN HIGH CAPACITY POOLS! It's for the children...

Indeed, as the article states, guns do not cause suicide:
"Living in a home with a gun greatly increases the risk of suicide, and that increased risk is not because people who live in homes with guns or in areas where guns are more prevalent are more suicidal," Miller told Reuters Health.
"They're not. It's because when people make suicide attempts with guns, they're much more likely to die than when they make attempts with other commonly used methods."

The fact that the guns are not causing these deaths is not the point. This is acknowledged even by the antis. However, it is spun in the same direction as "you're X times more likely to have a gun accident when there are guns present".

This is all part of the campaign to "really brainwash people to think about guns in a vastly different way" (quote, Eric Holder). If you listen to Linsky and others prattle about suicide this becomes obvious. If I recall correctly this motive was even explicitly stated as closely as possible without using the actual word "brainwash". This "brainwashing" is one of the stated purposes of all the cockeyed plans such as insurance. They want to toss so many hurdles and bullshit in the way so that they cause people to ask themselves "is it really worth it?", and the anti groups will be ready and willing to answer that question with their own "studies". Again, this is the explicitly stated goal, right from the [STRIKE=horses]horses[/STRIKE] jackasses mouth. I'd go conjure up an exact quote, I recall hearing Linsky talk about it at the Bedford forum, but I'm not going to torture myself right now by re-watching a video of him babbling.

correlation does not equal causation

http://www.suicidology.org/c/document_library/get_file?folderId=262&name=DLFE-636.pdf

If you look you have states like LA, TX MN and NE have low rates but high gun ownership, there has to be other underlying causes and somehow I doubt it is gun ownership, you will also note it seems that the higher latitudes have higher rates. maybe we should ban snow and reduced sunlight

Looks like white men between 45 and 54 are more likely to commit suicide I suspect you will find that is the demographic that also happens to own the most guns

Last edited:
If somebody wants to take their own life then they will do it. I had a friend that got into his car and ran it into a bridge embankment.

If somebody wants to do it, they will find a way.

It's sad and it's bringing tears to my eyes right now.

I wonder how many people have been seduced into choosing a gun for their own suicide (rather than pills, razor, etc.) because of the words of *******s like Linsky or Rosenthal.

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

I'm convinced that when an individual begins to look at the purpose of life or the validity of being a part of life (or whatever it is that is being questioned), it's not because there's a gun in the home! It's after they have made the move to that course of action that they would ponder the method and then it's all method motivation that will kick in. That gun safe is not whispering evil!

What about the concept of suicide because of terminal illness and/or unbearable pain. States like WA have laws that allow doctor assisted suicide - voted on by the citizens! It makes a difference that a cancer patient decides on pills from a doctor to achieve the goal versus another method? If in WA under those circumstances it would be the guns fault if the individual selected that as the method and it would be illegal - the result is the same but it would be illegal if the individual decided to use a different method.

There are so many threads for this topic but in my mind, blaming he method is the unthinking man's way out of this discussion (as uncomfortable as it is) - just blame the gun and not discuss the real question.

Back
Top Bottom