• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun ownership rate by town in MA

Interesting thread found in Reddit. Being from Lexington, guess that makes me a "Three Percenter." ;)
Awesome stats for the criminals to study. Of course all these stats are legal gun owners.......there are many more gun owners in Roxbury, Lowell, Lawrence.....they just aren't represented because they are unlawful in the MA scheme of things.

Im a 25 percenter.

Man, you have to go pretty far down that list before you come to a town thats listed on a map. ;)

My town is sadly well into the single digits. My birthplace is right in the bottom five, although if you counted actual gun "ownership" (possession?) rather than active firearm licenses, they'd be a lot closer to the top [laugh]

Taunton 10
Lakeville 19
Berkley 22.

I know how to pick em! ;)

And that's of TOTAL population, I assume. Not legal-age population.
Now that you mentioned it, it is total popualtion.

Bad data, from the gov? No way.

Using population over 21 brings Boston to 2.21%

A lot of those high percentages are from small towns of <1000 residents. Significant towns high ownership per capita: Middleborough, Carver, Westfield. Within rt 95, it seems like the rate is 6-7%.

What we need to understand from this post:

We are in the minority, everywhere, in every town, by a LOT.

A lot of those high percentages are from small towns of <1000 residents. Significant towns high ownership per capita: Middleborough, Carver, Westfield. Within rt 95, it seems like the rate is 6-7%.
Nothing new about moonbats thriving in the eastern 3rd of this state.

Same is true of the state in general. Interesting that Oregon, where the latest attack is happening, has over 50% gun ownership.
That's a tricky statistic, since states like MA which track (legal) gun ownership are the outliers.

Some of these graphs use "Registered Guns" (meaning NFA tax stamps), which at least is based in hard numbers; others (RAND, Pew Research, etc) use self-reporting via phone survey or try to make a guess based on hunting licenses and how many subscribe to Guns & Ammo magazine.

I suspect that "Households with at least one licensed adult resident" is inversely correlated with apartment dwelling and thus the small towns rank high.

Last edited:

Same is true of the state in general. Interesting that Oregon, where the latest attack is happening, has over 50% gun ownership.

View attachment 694462

Oregon is AWESOME! Except for Portland.

I inadvertently went to a gas station that was featured in the movie ‘Kindergarten Cop’ when I was out there picking up my VW Vanagon Westfalia in March 2021 and they had AR’s/AK’s, rifles and pistols, ammo, reloading components, fishing gear, Mexican food, camping supplies…what a cool place! Wicked dump though, but in the middle of NOWHERE!

Stopped on my way back to the Portland area from my visit to haystack rock (from the last scene in the goonies) at cannon beach.

lol....I'm in the 1.08% (last place!).

On the up shot, I noticed Cambridge placed this on their LTC section of their website (yellow highlighted part). I like the transparency.

View attachment 694492
High-five fellow 1%er!

It's good to see that update. Last I checked, they hadn't done it.

Now that you mentioned it, it is total popualtion.

Bad data, from the gov? No way.

Using population over 21 brings Boston to 2.21%
There's also a bit of double-counting. I'm pretty sure you can't have a MG license without a LTC, but the person doing the math simply divided the total of licenses in the town by the census population. This, coupled with the folks who have LTCs but don't own firearms gives us a feeling of greater precision than we're actually capable of.

not surprised at the 4 towns with the lowest ownership

BOSTON 1.79%
AMHERST 1.62%
BROOKLINE 1.25%
CAMBRIDGE 1.08%
Nor is it particularly meaningful.

Middlefield population: 385. Savoy: 645. “There are more gun owners in Brookline than people in Middlefield and Savoy combined.” Who cares?

Number of licenses by %.
Boston: 12,302
Amherst: 634
Brookline: 801
Cambridge: 1,307.

Wonder where Quincy stands🤔
QUINCY PD Firearms Identification Card123
QUINCY PD License to Sell Ammunition1
QUINCY PD License to Sell/Rent/Lease Firearms, Rifles, Shotguns or Machine Guns1
QUINCY PD Resident Class A Large Capacity License to Carry Firearms5360
QUINCY PD Resident License to Possess a Machine Gun8

When I moved to West Brookfield almost 8 yrs ago it was in the top 3. About 40 towns have passed them.

High-five fellow 1%er!

It's good to see that update. Last I checked, they hadn't done it.

There's also a bit of double-counting. I'm pretty sure you can't have a MG license without a LTC, but the person doing the math simply divided the total of licenses in the town by the census population. This, coupled with the folks who have LTCs but don't own firearms gives us a feeling of greater precision than we're actually capable of.
Come on, how many MG licenses do we have in MA?

200? (Guessing)

Back
Top Bottom