• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun ownership in Massachusetts is doomed

Swift River Rob

NES Member
Sunday, 12-11, I attended the annual members meeting of the BR&P club. We have ~2700 members. Only slightly more than 220 showed for the meeting. Of that group there were fewer than 10 women, and of the men I would estimate less than 20 were under the age of 50. BR&P is one of the largest and oldest (founded 1891) clubs in Massachusetts. I see no hope for the future of the shooting sports, as very few people under 30 seem to have any interest in shooting.

I’ve been an avid shooter for over 45 years, got my first .22 with my lawn mowing money ($2.00 a lawn back in 1960). I used to tie my J. C. Higgins .22 to the handle bars of my bike, pedal down the to local hardware and purchase a couple of boxes of .22 long rifles for $0.55 a box, then head off to the sand pit with my shooting buddies. If a 12 year old did that now the Police SWAT team would respond.

I believe GOAL, last year, reported that prior to the 1998 law change that there were ~2.0 million legal gun owners in MA, post the revision, ~200k. In a state of ~ 6.0 Million, we, legal gun owners, represent slightly more than 3% of the population.
We all have constitutional rights; but we pay no fee to have freedom of speech, religion, assembly, we are supplied a lawyer for free if we cannot afford one when charge with a crime, the poll tax used to limit voting no longer exists, we are secure in our houses and papers for free, but we must pay for our right to bear arms. How did we let that happen???

I belong to Mansfield. We only have like 250 members. But we do have a lot of people my age (in their 30's) and there are a lot of members that have thier kids as memebers as well.

I agree, that it's not like it was when I was younger as well. But then, back home we can still go to the sand pits and shoot, or shoot on your own land if you have enough. But then that's different than here in the Norteast. I do believe that it's different up here.

I'm a member of the BR&P at the age of 24. Been shooting since I first shot my grandmothers break action 20 gauge at the age of 9. Hunted the woods of PA until I moved here. Now I shoot 100 rounds a week or more at BRP.

I wasn't at the meeting on Sunday. I do wish I could have been there, but the circumstances weren't in favor of that.

It is sad, the number of vocal legit gun owners in this state. However, many people feel intimidated by the stigma that this state has given gun owners. I just took a new job with people that don't understand it at all, but I'm trying to change their minds, slowly and one at a time. That's the best thing that we can do, change popular opinion through our actions.

I belong to both Scarborough and Falmouth in ME. While the overall numbers may not compare to BR&P the percentage that show up for meeting at Falmouth are similar. Scarborough has a better turnout, but still not great.

The good thing is both clubs are trying to promote more family invlovement. Scarborough holds both a Youth Field day and this year has started what will hopefully be an annual Family Day. The more we can get families involved the better.

I also try to promote the sport to friends & coworkers if the opportunity presents itself. Most people at work know my hobbie, especially when 65lbs of ammo arrive on the loading dock. :D I'll talk to anyone who's interested in it and most have an open invititation to join me at the range. I've already brought several over past couple of years. It's helped change the attitude of a few people as well as rekindle an interest some people had given up.

I know you've got it a bit tougher in MA, but don't give up hope.

I can still shoot in a sandpit,just down the road from me,and I also can shoot on my own land if I want. We did belong to the Westfield Gun club,and one of the reasons we had joined was because it was family friendly.

Rob,

Brent and I were at that meeting and I think we were the youngest members there. I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of young people there. I think most of the young members dont want to sit through a long boring meeting. I know after Saturday's meeting I wont go back next year. It was too crowded and way too hot. It was litterally miserable sitting through the whole thing. I can see why the younger guys stay away.

I have seen two of the new member meetings, and both classes had a bunch of younger people. I think if everyone in this state makes it a point to get at least two new people in to shooting and gun ownership we will be alright. I'm working on my third person now, and I'll just keep pluggin away.

D

I'm with you Derek. I just get as many people as I can into it.

I got one guy pretty hooked, and another friend back into it. I'm trying to talk my brother-in-law to get his LTC when he gets back.

I keep at it, and like most of you, will take anyone that wants to go to the range anytime that they want.

Don;t worry about the number of people that attend meetings, low numbers are almost univeral.

I belong to a Masonic lodge with over 160 members. The same 15-20 people go to meetings.

In our Legion post, 158 members, the same 15 or so show up.

In my Sportsmans club we have about 140 members, about 15 show up to meetings...but many more use the range.

It;s that way everywhere. Not good, but not affecting only the shooting sports.

The only club I belong to that has good meeting attendance is our Model T club. It has about 50 members and we can count on at least 30-35 at every meeting. It was designed so that if you miss three in a row you can be bounced out. That's the only way to keep people active - at least as far as business meetings go.

Riverside has over 1000 members, but there are usually more people counted in the officers and committee chairs than in the general membership on any given meeting. Heck, NEW members waiting to be voted in usually outnumber us all (and then never are seen again)

You should see the audience at the annual GOAL meeting. Maybe 30 people and the vast majority are getting on in years.

Yet, the new members, range users, and people taking classes are all much younger in comparison.

There are plenty of acive shooters in this state. Heck, if I had my wish, I'd rather see them at the voting booth than a club meeting.

(^_^)

Pilgrim has it right. I remember sitting in on a talk about groups/organizations. One point made was that out of any given membership, you can expect about 10% to actually participate. It's that way with our Lodge. And we have the same fears of it dying off. Same debate has been going on for 10's of years with Ham radio.
It is the duty of us all to promote our hobbies and interests.
Rob brings up a real good point about having to pay a fee too. Regulations and restrictions are put on the shooting sports and to enforce these, the government wants to cover their costs. A lifetime FID went from $2 to $100. Between the fees and the crap you have to go through to get a permit now are just not worth it to some people.

C-pher said:
Chris said:
You should see the audience at the annual GOAL meeting. Maybe 30 people and the vast majority are getting on in years.

Crap, no wonder it's a little easier to win a raffle at that thing. There's only 30 people. I'm going to have to try to make one of those.

That's the MEETING, C - not the banquet...that's a horse of a different color.

Chris said:

Such a wiseass!! [lol]

None of us, including you are getting any younger, so respect your elders, you'll be there before you know it! [wink]

Re: I have a post on the gun ranges and clubs section

News Shooter said:
That you might find interesting. They've solved the problem of how to get people to participate

Explanation please?

Who/what were you referring to?

Thanks.

senorFrog said:
No offence to BR&P, but I think they have a little attitude there.

Huh? Please explain here or via PM?

I'm seriously interested in your perspective, as the BR&P that I see is very welcoming, family oriented and embraces damn near any group that wants to use the facilities for the shooting sports. [e.g. SAS, college groups, legislators, press, etc.]

That's the club!

The officers/BOD are relatively speaking fixtures with no change unless someone chooses to step down. That does NOT prevent any newcomer from getting involved however.

The "old folks" that hang around the clubhouse will bend over backwards to help anyone that asks them for advice/help. Just ask.

Swift River Rob said:
Sunday, 12-11, I attended the annual members meeting of the BR&P club. We have ~2700 members. Only slightly more than 220 showed for the meeting. Of that group there were fewer than 10 women, and of the men I would estimate less than 20 were under the age of 50. BR&P is one of the largest and oldest (founded 1891) clubs in Massachusetts. I see no hope for the future of the shooting sports, as very few people under 30 seem to have any interest in shooting.

Bob, too bad you didn't come over and introduce yourself! My Wife and I were sitting with Brent and Derek, jammed in like sardines!

When it is just a mundane annual meeting, the club only expects about 200 people to attend. We got there at 9:50 and we took the last legal parking space in the lot! I thought I'd have to park at the club and walk over to the DAV.

I'd say that there were a lot more than 20 that are under 50 yo at that meeting, as I know a number of them.

When the elections are contested or an important by-law change is proposed, we'll get ~300 at the annual meeting.

Most of the 2700 members are "paper members" who join ONLY to get the Notarized letter for their chief, so that he'll issue an LTC to them! I was told that when I joined in Jan. 1999 and nothing has changed since then.

As Derek pointed out, LOTS of younger people join (step into a New Members Meeting and see for yourself . . . probably more under 35 than over it joining the club). When I go there to shoot on a Saturday or Sunday, I see a number of younger people (male and female) coming in to shoot and then leave.

The younger crowd are not usually "joiners", they won't usually come to meetings or join committees. As others pointed out, this is true across the spectrum, not just shooting sports.

derek said:
Rob,

Brent and I were at that meeting and I think we were the youngest members there. I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of young people there. I think most of the young members dont want to sit through a long boring meeting. I know after Saturday's meeting I wont go back next year. It was too crowded and way too hot. It was litterally miserable sitting through the whole thing. I can see why the younger guys stay away.

Derek,

Next time you and Brent should take your jackets off!! [roll]

It was warm in there, but it's a hell of a lot more cramped and warmer when you sit there for 2 hours with your jacket on! [wink]

To fit everyone in there and still have the tables on the outer sides, the chairs are butted up against each other and there isn't an inch of space to spare. When I get there early enough, I grab an aisle seat and pull it out a bit so there is an airspace between chairs! :) I didn't get there early enough this time.

LenS said:
derek said:
Rob,

Derek,

Next time you and Brent should take your jackets off!! [roll]

It was warm in there, but it's a hell of a lot more cramped and warmer when you sit there for 2 hours with your jacket on! [wink]

To fit everyone in there and still have the tables on the outer sides, the chairs are butted up against each other and there isn't an inch of space to spare. When I get there early enough, I grab an aisle seat and pull it out a bit so there is an airspace between chairs! :) I didn't get there early enough this time.

I wasn't wearing a jacket, I heard at least 20 other people comment on how hot it was. They need a bigger venue for that meeting.

LenS said:
senorFrog said:
No offence to BR&P, but I think they have a little attitude there.

Huh? Please explain here or via PM?

I'm seriously interested in your perspective, as the BR&P that I see is very welcoming, family oriented and embraces damn near any group that wants to use the facilities for the shooting sports. [e.g. SAS, college groups, legislators, press, etc.]

That's the club!

The officers/BOD are relatively speaking fixtures with no change unless someone chooses to step down. That does NOT prevent any newcomer from getting involved however.

The "old folks" that hang around the clubhouse will bend over backwards to help anyone that asks them for advice/help. Just ask.

Okay, I knew I shouldn't have posted that. Let me pick my words carefully. Here goes...

It's a nice club and has excellent facilities.

RO's and Club officers are great and work hard on the club. As the original poster mentioned it's a small group of folks carrying the load for the majority of membership. As everyone else pointed out, that's the same the world around.

First and foremost, I appreciate all the good the active members and the club does for gun owners in MASS directly, and indirectly.

Re the attitude, it's nothing specific. No specific incident or anything like that, though I think some members (NOT RO's) get overzealous with rules and make them up on the fly. It just has more of "city" attitude vs a "country" one. Seems folks are busier & tad bit harsher (harsher isn't the right word, but it's all i can come up with now).

Hope I didn't offend.

I am not offended, nor will I be if you go into specifics (feel free to use PM for that if you wish)! If your complaints are justified, I WILL take them higher to straighten them out! The club (and officers) are VERY GOOD that way.

Per the club rules, we are all ROs when there, it is every member's responsibility to point out safety problems, report serious ones, etc. Many/most clubs are like that as it is "our club" (all members have a stake in keeping the place safe, friendly and available for use by all members).

I have talked with some shooters a few times when I observed some safety violations (pointing gun in unsafe directions, gun handling outside the shooting booths in indoor range, etc.). I always did it in a respectful and instructive way, got a "thanks" and they corrected the problems. I didn't report it to anyone higher up as the problem was solved right there. This was before I became an RO (only last month).

As an RO on duty, I observed some long-time members who did something that violated club rules and went over to talk with them. They apologized and took corrective action, so I did not put it on my range officer's report . . . no need.

I can think of one well meaning member who sometimes comes down on rules that aren't rules. He means well but is somewhat confused on MA laws (can't blame him there) and he's showing some signs of age where he mixes up some things. [e.g. He swears that I gave him some specific patriotic calendars years ago (I didn't), that I got him some Masonic emblems (I didn't), etc. and reminds me of it damn near every time I've seen him for a few years now. I finally gave him a patriotic calendar from the Big Y to shut him up. [wink] ] He's the same one who gave me the New Members' Orientation and told us that the use of B-27 (human shape) targets was an instant arrestable offense and violated BR&P rules. A quick Email to the club president that same day ended up in a "correction" the following day (it violates nothing)! Even today, the club actually sells 100packs of those same targets (reduced size).

I plan on raising an issue about the <lack of> use of the smoke eaters in our clubhouse with our president. I expect that my suggestion will result in resolving the situation.

There are a few other members who can show "attitude" depending on how you approach them. It's just their personalities and not indicative of anything else.

Since "perception is reality", I hope you'll trust me to help you resolve whatever issues you have so that your perception of the club changes for the positive?

You wrote a long response, work hard for & love your club, for good reason. I appreciate your informative posts here.

Of course, I believe in and hopefully practice good gun safety. I have absolutely no problem with gun safety and/or rules leading to it. Also, I don't have any problem to resolve w/BR&P.

I'm just giving a sentiment. Just not my cup of tea. An analogy would be city living vs the burbs. I prefer the burbs. Some the city. To each, their own.

Back
Top Bottom