• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Ownership and Fear

I 90% of people who have guns are a displeasure to speak about guns to. Hate is a strfind ong word. I meant more, "hate on." Apologies.
Yet here you are......talking about guns with people you find displeasurable. Speaks volumes to your intellect.....

I'm out

I'm sorry, are you talking about the same 'newfangled' predictive modeling statistics that so awesomely planned the Big Dig, Hillary winning the election, and is currently being used to develop pre-crime analytical software to potentially incriminate innocent people? Not like those were *massive* failures.

Hahahaha. That's your hill? I rely on evidence. Guessing is a fool's game.

Maybe you would like a nice lion-repelling rock?

If you would like to 'call someone out on their bullshit', have at it. But for god's sakes... have a position to start from.

This is causal inference, not prediction. You'd think a CS student would know the difference. Hmmm...

I love guns. Love the tech, the engineering, the history. I love to shoot. But some people pretend the 2nd is a sacred cow. It isn't, and whether you want it to or not, it *will* change, just as everything else has. And, as with everything else, you can modify your stance to be mostly in line, or you can cross your arms and say, "I won't change." That is your right. The right to be unchanging.

But seriously... if the government wants the guns, sooner or later they will have them. Owning a gun and being ready for armed conflict will only hasten that. With Republicans folding on the issue and every goddamn shit with a chip on his shoulder spraying crowds with bullets, you are kidding yourself if you believe otherwise.

With friends like this, do we really need enemies? [laugh]

-Mike

But they have a long, dark, awful history. We could, with all respect, at least acknowledge that.

Lol so now you're personalizing guns and giving them animated properties? [rofl] A gun is not inherently evil.

The things you are talking about- there's no "awful history" related to guns directly. Wars, conflict, violent crime... are the actions of humans, not a responsibility of an
inanimate object.

ETA: Before there were guns, and even in places where they're not many many guns, humans doing evil" still exists. Most of that pile of corpses in the Rwandan genocide was created by people hacking others to death with machetes

-Mike

Last edited:
Lol so now you're personalizing guns and giving them animated properties? [rofl] A gun is not inherently evil.

The things you are talking about- there's no "awful history" related to guns directly. Wars, conflict, violent crime... are the actions of humans, not a responsibility of an
inanimate object.

-Mike
@jpk and I have been at this for hours with this guy. Tag......your it. Lol

Guns are a toxic fandom. This is worse than the Rick and Morty people.

This is why I kinda *don't* want to join any shooting clubs. 90% of any fandom is vitriol and nonsense.

I don't care what you believe about guns. Holy shit, I don't. I also don't care what you might believe about me. I especially don't care about that.

But, uh, seriously? Read the Rick and Morty forums... you guys sound like them. And all the shit there is written by libtards.

Guns aren't on the right or wrong side of history. Neither are you. You are not fighting the good fight. You are fighting. You just don't want to give up your guns, plain and simple. Some have good reasons, some don't.

I'll just vote.

Hoplohobia is just a chemical reaction in the brain that compels communists to oppress their fellow man. I fell victim to it at one point and so have you. Break the cycle. Rise above. Focus on liberty.

Last edited:
I skipped to the end hoping it was over. Nope. Reeces Pieces is chock full of prejudices and insinuations. And has the desire to be "right". Super

The guy couldn't even get the movie character right (Kyle Reese, not Carl). We're dealing with a very low IQ individual.

Just skimmed the abstract and I love what they contrast the US Constitution with...

Americans can be divided into two groups: those who own guns and those who do not. Many people who own guns adhere to a culture that is supported by the National Rifle Association (NRA), the Republican Party, and the United States Constitution. Many people who do not own guns follow a culture that is driven by social organizations such as Everytown for Gun Safety, social movements like #NeverAgain, and the Democratic Party.

I don't feel like we get much support from the Republican Party. They can't do what they really want (to disarm us) cause they need our votes.

Guns are a toxic fandom. This is worse than the Rick and Morty people.

This is why I kinda *don't* want to join any shooting clubs. 90% of any fandom is vitriol and nonsense.

I don't care what you believe about guns. Holy shit, I don't. I also don't care what you might believe about me. I especially don't care about that.

But, uh, seriously? Read the Rick and Morty forums... you guys sound like them. And all the shit there is written by libtards.

Guns aren't on the right or wrong side of history. Neither are you. You are not fighting the good fight. You are fighting. You just don't want to give up your guns, plain and simple. Some have good reasons, some don't.

I'll just vote.

Love how some rando has his LTC for 5 minutes starts rambling about his opinions of firearms. These are always hilarious. It's okay. Some people are just not meant to own firearms.

After sifting through the swirling detritus in here....

I find 90% of people who have guns are a displeasure to speak about guns to. Hate is a strong word. I meant more, "hate on." Apologies.

Cameraman: "Jesus Christ...."
background: - dulcet piano music plays-
Cokehead #2 : "Aw man ya burned my towel up!!!!"

Can Somebody Please....lock this foolish thread and ban reeses pieces?

I already gave him the Max Zorin special, I'm not going to nuke the thread unless the OP requests it because other than that one stain, there was nothing
wrong with it. I suspect reeses pieces (not to be confused with "Niece's Pieces") was a previously banned member but I couldn't quite pick up the trollstyle...

-Mike

I'm pretty sure the score was:
iu

I already gave him the Max Zorin special, I'm not going to nuke the thread unless the OP requests it because other than that one stain, there was nothing
wrong with it. I suspect reeses pieces (not to be confused with "Niece's Pieces") was a previously banned member but I couldn't quite pick up the trollstyle...

-Mike

Yes, I was half joking.....only half...[smile]

We used to say someone was Scrivv’d on the BBS - that was sufficient to note the Scarlet Letter had been affixed for all to see. We need a new term for those hung out to twist in the wind, eh?

That said, we might sound to some like some college campuses where conservative opinions are not tolerated without being shouted down. Perhaps we can be critical without insulting. Impressive that the thread wasn’t locked yet.

As the OP, there was a purpose I had when I started this thread but a good hanging kind of makes me forget where I was going and why... ;-)

Last edited:
We used to say someone was Scrive’d on the BBS - that was sufficient to note the Scarlet Letter had been affixed for all to see. We need a new term for those hung out to twist in the wind, eh?

That said, we might sound to some like some college campuses where conservative opinions are not tolerated without being shouted down. Perhaps we can be critical without insulting. Impressive that the thread wasn’t locked yet.

As the OP, there was a purpose I had when I started this thread but a good hanging kind of makes me forget where I was going and why... ;-)

Your half was the half I was joking about. :D

As for opinions not being tolerated, I think its waaay past time to give leftists a taste of their own medicine......as in "STFU we don't want to hear your nonsense". I've spent all the time I'm going to spend interacting with leftist idiots regarding my guns or my rights. They are not negotiable, not for sale and they will not be peacefully taken from me.

Didn’t have the interest to read all the BS in this thread but all I can say is without rocks,knives,spears,slings,blow guns,snares,gunzzzz, we would probably wouldn’t be here today
All have multiple uses

Checking out the “senior author” and her recent work: “We use data from the 2006–2008 Health and Retirement Study to examine the association between religious attendance and three indicators of body mass: overall body mass index, waist circumference, and waist-to-height ratio (n = 11,457). For White women, attendance is either protective or unrelated to body mass. For Black women, attendance is consistently associated with increased body mass. We find that religious attendance is not associated with body mass among the men.”

I recall when Social Science, as an academic study, was put back into the College of the Arts, as it wasn’t anything like science. As someone said of Sociology: “The problem of Sociology is not to say something true, but to say something important.”

That would be an academic coup de grâce.

We used to say someone was Scrive’d on the BBS - that was sufficient to note the Scarlet Letter had been affixed for all to see. We need a new term for those hung out to twist in the wind, eh?

A cursory read through the originally referenced paper kinda makes me shake my head.... what is the purpose of this paper, other than an attempt to try to use science as a "legitimacy foil" with regard to insulting people who buy guns? It smells like the people creating it are of the "students of public health" branding.

Does anyone conduct a study on why people buy fire extinguishers? or why people wear bike or ski helmets or seatbelts? Is it "fear" as much as it is risk mitigation?

I don't have a fire extinguisher in my kitchen because I'm "afraid" of my house burning down. Nor do I carry a gun because I'm "afraid". That said, who am I to judge
if someone is afraid? What are the authors of this article going to say to say, a woman who was raped who generally carries a gun now, partially out of "fear" are they going
to insult her for wanting to protect herself from harm?

I think the ulterior motives of the author(s) is to try to cast gun owners as being paranoid, irrational, etc. I think on the whole though, most gun owners likely aren't any more or less irrational than the rest of the public is, perhaps even less so among RKBA advocates- because we've seen risk mitigation and perceived vs actual risk in a wholly
different light than most.

-Mike

I don’t think owning firearms is due to fear, or anxiety due to fear, anymore than carrying insurance on your home or auto is due to fear. Yes, I know the .gov and banks require insurance but do most people who own their home or autos not carry insurance? No, they wish to decrease risk.

Owning firearms is the end result of the same logical thinking as engaging in preventive behaviors like having fire extinguishers in your kitchen, shop, garage, and shed, or having a second method of egress from the upper story of your abode.

The veneer of civilized society is very thin, and becoming thinner all the time. Anyone who was around northeastern Mass during the ‘78 blizzard probably witnessed some of that. I did. Katrina was another example of a local breakdown of society. IMHO most people don’t recognize how thin this veneer is in our society.

I like to talk to people, including antis, about guns as tools and insurance. Who has the guns in our society?
1. The military.
2. The police.
3. Criminals.
4. Guys like me.

If there is a SHTF major or local event isn’t it nice to be able to defend oneself if necessary. What about small personal events like a home invasion or assault? Why would you not want to have guns?

IMHO, Anyone sane person who takes a Games Theory 101 psychology course or reads some introductory games theory texts, and and understands the concept would arm themselves. (Too the frigging teeth in my case)

Remember, mental illness in the US exists because the American Psychiatry Association and their Diagnostic Statistical Manual says it does.

Instead of being mentally ill, you’re not a pussy for owning firearms no matter how much the elite mental health professionals want to demean your behavior.

Plus, guns are fun. Now go buy one, Dr’s orders!

It all comes down to Liberals hating us because we call BS on their ideology. Their Progressive(I call it Repressive) ideology has taken on religious fanaticism worthy of Muslim zealots. Example is Boston DA Rollins going after the Judge in the Antifa clown case and their idiot lawyer trying to grandstand in the courtroom. She is trying to justify their violence because of their righteous cause. It ain't going to end well.

Back
Top Bottom