Gun Owners Call for Nixing NICS and Taking the FBI to Court

Stambuleh(sp) is a standup guy and hits the We Like Shooting podcast periodically.

Good for him on this, though I'm sure some court will deny him cert.

All you need to look at to know NICS is a joke is compare the number of charges filed to total denials. Its literally soemthing like .003%

The falsing rate is pretty telling, too. Thousands of false positives.

-Mike

MY only concern would be that if NICS went away, what kind of 1000x worse system would MA, or even NH, put into place to replace it. The NH system for handgun purchases already takes a lot longer than a NICS. You can pretty much guarantee a multi day waiting period with a shitty background checking system would be put into place in MA, might even need an ok from your CoP for every purchase.

In some states getting rid of NICS might make things better, but not around here.

Sadly, didn't the survivors of the church shooting try to sue the FBI for the NICS failure there and end up having their case tossed since "mah govmnt!"?

Can't sue the government if the government won't let you. I predict nothing will change, but they will be happy to give us even more bullshit gun control laws.

Sadly, didn't the survivors of the church shooting try to sue the FBI for the NICS failure there and end up having their case tossed since "mah govmnt!"?

Can't sue the government if the government won't let you. I predict nothing will change, but they will be happy to give us even more bullshit gun control laws.
Which church shooting? The South Carolina one or the Texas one? With SC, the FBI is fully to blame, with Texas, that was on the Air Force.

Either way it's a gov't entity and the gov't isn't accountable for their failures. I mean, if they were, then all the families of 9/11 would have a case because the top defense agencies knew that Bin Laden was planning an attack on US soil.

But that opens up the can of worms that the agencies work for the military industrial complex and they allowed the attacks to happen so the people would be behind increased spending on Defense and military and fund invasions and regime change in two countries.

Which church shooting? The South Carolina one or the Texas one? With SC, the FBI is fully to blame, with Texas, that was on the Air Force.

Either way it's a gov't entity and the gov't isn't accountable for their failures. I mean, if they were, then all the families of 9/11 would have a case because the top defense agencies knew that Bin Laden was planning an attack on US soil.

But that opens up the can of worms that the agencies work for the military industrial complex and they allowed the attacks to happen so the people would be behind increased spending on Defense and military and fund invasions and regime change in two countries.

South Carolina, I believe. I'll have to look it up, I only heard it on WLS the other day. But yes, 100% the fault of the FBI, and they should be held liable for it.

The NH system for handgun purchases already takes a lot longer than a NICS.

In the rare instance that the NH State Police handgun line is down, FFLs are allowed to call NICS as they would for a longgun. It's refreshing to get an instant approval for a pistol instead of waiting what seems like forever - especially if it's a gunshow weekend.

As much as I don't want people to lose their jobs, the time for the state to run background checks is long past. States being able to run their own checks was initially put into the Brady Bill by Sen. Bob Smith as a way for states to get around requiring the up to 5 day waiting period in the bill. Once the bill was amended this was no longer useful, but the system was in place. Like most bureaucracy, it has lingered for no legitimate reason.

Now that NH has Constitutional Carry, there has been discussion of making the background check requirements for getting a resident Pistol & Revolver License more stringent. As much as everyone likes getting their $10 for 5 years license within 15 days with minimal info provided, a deeper check would result in reciprocity with more states and the ability to use your P&R license in lieu of a NICS check.

MY only concern would be that if NICS went away, what kind of 1000x worse system would MA, or even NH, put into place to replace it. The NH system for handgun purchases already takes a lot longer than a NICS. You can pretty much guarantee a multi day waiting period with a shitty background checking system would be put into place in MA, might even need an ok from your CoP for every purchase.

In some states getting rid of NICS might make things better, but not around here.
Which probably won't matter, since NH just runs the checks through NICS in the end, anyway.

In the rare instance that the NH State Police handgun line is down, FFLs are allowed to call NICS as they would for a longgun. It's refreshing to get an instant approval for a pistol instead of waiting what seems like forever - especially if it's a gunshow weekend.

As much as I don't want people to lose their jobs, the time for the state to run background checks is long past. States being able to run their own checks was initially put into the Brady Bill by Sen. Bob Smith as a way for states to get around requiring the up to 5 day waiting period in the bill. Once the bill was amended this was no longer useful, but the system was in place. Like most bureaucracy, it has lingered for no legitimate reason.

Now that NH has Constitutional Carry, there has been discussion of making the background check requirements for getting a resident Pistol & Revolver License more stringent. As much as everyone likes getting their $10 for 5 years license within 15 days with minimal info provided, a deeper check would result in reciprocity with more states and the ability to use your P&R license in lieu of a NICS check.
Oh, no, you didn't! You actually brought up the suggestion that I made a couple of years ago, and was royally flamed for it.
[popcorn]

Which probably won't matter, since NH just runs the checks through NICS in the end, anyway.

Oh, no, you didn't! You actually brought up the suggestion that I made a couple of years ago, and was royally flamed for it.
[popcorn]

Oh, no, you didn't! You necro'd a 2 month old post just to sling poo [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom