• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun nut in fatigues films himself walking into Walmart carrying an assault rifle

This is a stupid idea when it's one dude. You get 1000 to do it in every state and suddenly people think twice about taking gun rights.

No its not, its a START.

Perhaps that 1000 others will see/ hear of it and follow suit. If a million or ten millin do it, it becomes the new norm instead of the prohibitionist attitude that prevails among the fearful, ignorant, propagandized public.

Lol, just because kitting up to stroll into a Walmart might be legal it doesn't make it a good idea. Also conflating this with a dude open carrying a handgun? two different planets.

-Mike

The law doesn't stipulate what cannot be carried and certainly doesn't have a dress code.

People express a lot of bad ideas, doesn't make them illegal. Take a look at some women's bad hair colorings......now THAT should be illegal.[smile]

Activist moms against guns types aside, I would bet most clueless anti gun people would not be alarmed by a guy dressed in normal attire open carrying a pistol while shopping. If anything, most would just assume he's some off-duty LEO.

This dude is just dumb.....not the time or place to make your point imo. The best medicine to ahhh ban the assault weaponzzz after a mass shooting is incident-free time. This article popping up on some millennials twitter feed days after 2 mass shootings hurts the cause.

Then why do police open carry? For easy access?

Some people who have limited shoulder mobility open carry because they can't move their arm across to pull up a coat or shirt to draw a gun. They really don't have a choice.

Others with normal mobility open carry for the same reason as the police do.....easy access.

I don't care how or what people carry, it's their business.

Police carry in 'uniform' on a duty belt. Lots of cops don't wear a uniform and don't open carry. I don't when I'm not in uniform.

Easy access makes you a target is my biggest issue with open carry. If something is going to go down and they don't care you are carrying, you are the first target. I don't go around wearing a gi or my 20 year old brown belt either. If you decide you want to mess with me, I'd rather you not know I have 25+ years of fighting behind me.

Police carry in 'uniform' on a duty belt. Lots of cops don't wear a uniform and don't open carry. I don't when I'm not in uniform.

Easy access makes you a target is my biggest issue with open carry. If something is going to go down and they don't care you are carrying, you are the first target. I don't go around wearing a gi or my 20 year old brown belt either. If you decide you want to mess with me, I'd rather you not know I have 25+ years of fighting behind me.

Yes, but you didn't answer my question. I'm not talking about your issue with open carry, I'm talking about the pure mechanics of the issue.

Cops carry the gun openly for easy access.....you know it and I know it. Their uniform makes them just as much a target as the gun openly carried by anyone in plain clothes so that arguement is specious.

If something is going down and the perps don't care who they shoot, a cop in uniform is going to be top on the target list also, probably higher priority than some open carrying citizen.

"Suspect" what crime was he suspected of engaging in?
What... you mean beyond hyper stupidity? You could start with creating a public nuisance and reckless endangerment of himself given that 1/2
of the country is up on two wheels. Legal? Probably. Smart? Particularly in light of of El Paso? The guy is dumber than a fire axe.

Under the circumstances, whoever would choose to neutralize him, would be called a hero.

If somebody walked into a crowded restaurant filled with off duty cops, dressed like that and yelled Alla Snackbar they too may have been shot.
Yeah, with how semi auto rifles are the most used gun for mass shooters, I've concluded if I see someone carrying one and they go into a crowded place where they could take a lot of lives, if I was a cop and saw it, I would start shooting and call it self defense.

Last edited:
If the guy was straight up shot in the melon and dropped dead on the floor - do you think the CCW who shot him would be charged?
Probably because the argument will be made the CCW'er could have fled instead.

The shit thing is if this guy actually went to the Walmart with the intention of shooting the place, you as a civilian don't have any right to fire at him until he's pulled the trigger.

The a**h*** who did this was obviously seeking attention, but losers who do what he does make it awfully difficult for people to determine who actual mass killers are from dipshits looking to get their 15 mins of fame.

A week after 2 major mass shootings that are still in the news, you pull this stunt? I don't care what the overall position you have towards open carry. This is just stupid on so many levels.

Then again, I think open carry is moronic anyway, unless it's the only way you can carry, then I can go along with it.
I've been talking with non gun people elsewhere and one of them is in the UK and his solution to the problem is take it to the most extreme, which is have everyone to open carry, MAKE everyone open carry.

If a mass shooter goes to Walmart and sees everyone inside is armed, he's not likely going to go through with it.

What... you mean beyond hyper stupidity? You could start with creating a public nuisance and reckless endangerment of himself given that 1/2
of the country is up on two wheels. Legal? Probably. Smart? Particularly in light of of El Paso? The guy is dumber than a fire axe.

We operate on the rule of law, not the rule of "dumb" or the rule "triggered feelings" of emotional basket cases. IT CANNOT BE BOTH WAYS.

If he broke no laws, he is free to go, free to be dumb, and free to trigger all the emotional basket cases he wants.

Reckless endangerment of one's self ? There's no such thing in law.

Reckless endangerment must involve another person or persons and must place that "other" in imminent danger of severe bodily harm or death.

The act of legally open carrying of a gun where it is not prohibited doesn't in the least meet the criteria, no matter how high emotions are soaring.

Most people who go out in the ocean on someone else's private boat or hunt in congested hunting areas with many other hunters are in more imminent danger than anyone in that Walmart was.

I've been talking with non gun people elsewhere and one of them is in the UK and his solution to the problem is take it to the most extreme, which is have everyone to open carry, MAKE everyone open carry.

If a mass shooter goes to Walmart and sees everyone inside is armed, he's not likely going to go through with it.

The UK person is right, and I personally would rather see that solution put in place than a complete disarmament of or even more restricted access to guns by citizens in the general public.

You know why theres never a mass shooting at a police station? Because everyone is open carrying.

No one can be "singled out" by a shooter if everyone around is openly armed.
Boom. Exactly!

If politicians really want to stop mass shootings, ban “gun-free” zones and pass Constitutional carry! Quick and easy solution! But they don’t want to stop the problem. Perpetuating it keeps them in business

Maybe not in the state this happened in.

Here is another scenario...

In Massachusetts, a guy wearing a trench coat and body armor and a mask walks into restaurant. He also has an AK.

If you happen to be sitting by the door - would you wait for him to start shooting before you tackle him?

Or, would you be a sheep and wait to see what he does.

I would gander that a reasonable person who has self defense skills and was trained in counter ambush would tackle the man.

Granted, Maura will arrest you, but if you can articulate in front of a jury, knowing what you know, you will likely be found not guilty and get by with your life and your families life intact.

At least in Massachusetts, people don't wear that sort of attire an carry an AK with good intentions.
If I was the guy you tackled, I’d sue you civilly and win. You and your wife would live in a cardboard box down by the river for the rest of your life. Even in Mass.

Not sure what this guy, or other more idiotic open carry demonstrators, hope to accomplish. I imagine that, in states with open carry laws, there is public support for people carrying handguns openly in a holster. Probably much less so for some ninja'd out elite tactical operator carrying around his AR at low ready with 10 mags ready on his plate carrier.

This might not be illegal now, but keep this shit up and it will be soon. There is no reason to believe that a change in the law heavily prescribing open carry, if not outlawing it entirely, would be considered by SCOTUS to be a 2A infringement, especially if concealed carry is available as an alternative.

I'm always curious where the line between lawful open carry and unlawful brandishing lies in these kinds of situations. You often see pics of demonstrators in states that allow open carry where these goons have their rifles slung across the front of the body with a firing hand in the ready position. Seems that a creative prosecutor could decide to test the case.

Wonder what his NES screen name is ?

(on a more serious note, it kinda makes you wonder if that going-full-retard candidate is actually a liberal trying to stir-up contention and trouble....)

Apparently now one can be an "active shooter" without even shooting or threatening to shoot. For the fearful, the existence of a firearm is equivalent to shooting. Good thing to remember for anyone who might print or otherwise be detected carrying in public.

Given the state of things these days, I'd never walk into a store with a rifle, because I'd EXPECT to get shot. OC a side arm? Meh, totally different IMO.

well, of course it's all over the morning news shows. all this stunt did was get more fists shaking in the air. it really helped the cause...as expected. i'm not the smartest man on the planet or this board, but this you don't do a few days after a week that saw 2 shootings in public. we do more damage to ourselves than any anti gun liberal.

Not sure what this guy, or other more idiotic open carry demonstrators, hope to accomplish. I imagine that, in states with open carry laws, there is public support for people carrying handguns openly in a holster. Probably much less so for some ninja'd out elite tactical operator carrying around his AR at low ready with 10 mags ready on his plate carrier.

This might not be illegal now, but keep this shit up and it will be soon. There is no reason to believe that a change in the law heavily prescribing open carry, if not outlawing it entirely, would be considered by SCOTUS to be a 2A infringement, especially if concealed carry is available as an alternative.

I'm always curious where the line between lawful open carry and unlawful brandishing lies in these kinds of situations. You often see pics of demonstrators in states that allow open carry where these goons have their rifles slung across the front of the body with a firing hand in the ready position. Seems that a creative prosecutor could decide to test the case.

To your last point, if it hasn't happened by now given the number of times it has occured in various states and the numbers of individuals that have done it to date, its a safe bet that any prosecutor that has two brain cells wouldn't even try. States where open carry is not prohibited do not view a slung rifle (front, side or back) with a hand on a grip for retention to be brandishing. The carrier is not pointing it at anyone, nor is their finger on the trigger and the muzzle is in a safe direction.

To your second point, nobody knows what SCOTUS would do but given the make up of the court and the fact that the type of arms in open carry is not specified in a lot of states I think they'd likely have to side with open carry.

Apparently now one can be an "active shooter" without even shooting or threatening to shoot. For the fearful, the existence of a firearm is equivalent to shooting. Good thing to remember for anyone who might print or otherwise be detected carrying in public.

Only if you live in a police state.

The term "Printing" in gun friendly states isn't something used in carry discussions because most people who live there never worry about it and the cops couldn't care less.

His actions were stupid and making excuses because it was "legal" doesn't make it any less stupid.
In fact I'd say his actions boarder on an inability to make rational decisions (a mental health problem).

There is a line between protesting and recklessly trying to create fear in others, and he crossed it by miles.

well, of course it's all over the morning news shows. all this stunt did was get more fists shaking in the air. it really helped the cause...as expected. i'm not the smartest man on the planet or this board, but this you don't do a few days after a week that saw 2 shootings in public. we do more damage to ourselves than any anti gun liberal.

The only damage being done is lawful gun owners once again running for the shadows and cowering in fear instead of standing up and saying "fvck off leftist"!

His actions were stupid and making excuses because it was "legal" doesn't make it any less stupid.
In fact I'd say his actions boarder on an inability to make rational decisions (a mental health problem).

There is a line between protesting and recklessly trying to create fear in others, and he crossed it by miles.

Bullshit!

The only damage being done is lawful gun owners once again running for the shadows and cowering in fear instead of standing up and saying "fvck off leftist"!
i'd like to know how many times you've strapped on the body armor, hung 5 or six 30 rounders on your chest and slung an ar over you're shoulder to go shopping at wal-mart to prove your point? just askin', not trying to pick a fight. :)

To your last point, if it hasn't happened by now given the number of times it has occured in various states and the numbers of individuals that have done it to date, its a safe bet that any prosecutor that has two brain cells wouldn't even try. States where open carry is not prohibited do not view a slung rifle (front, side or back) with a hand on a grip for retention to be brandishing. The carrier is not pointing it at anyone, nor is their finger on the trigger and the muzzle is in a safe direction.

To your second point, nobody knows what SCOTUS would do but given the make up of the court and the fact that the type of arms in open carry is not specified in a lot of states I think they'd likely have to side with open carry.

It's hard to say, as the issue of carrying hasn't been specifically addressed by SCOTUS, but based on the comments made in Heller, I don't think SCOTUS is going to come down on an absolutist "carry however you like" line.

The federal society has a pretty thorough breakdown of the issue here under the section "Heller"

https://fedsoc.org/commentary/publications/concealed-carry-and-the-right-to-bear-arms#_ftn5

The Court did note, however, that “the Second Amendment is not unlimited” and recognized that historically “the right was not a right to carry . . . in any manner whatsoever.”[5] Rather, states have been permitted to regulate the manner of carrying.

If this remains the prevailing opinion of the court, I could easily see a state ban on open carrying being upheld, especially if the state allowed some form of carrying (say concealed carry, or heavily proscribed open carry)

If this kind of stunt becomes more common, I would expect that the ability to open carry become more restricted.

Sounds like someone was looking to leave behind a "suicide-by-police" settlement for his family.

Each one of these questionable decisions taken individually (wearing BDUs, body armor and open carry of an AR) may have raised concern and a possible police interaction, but wouldnt have necessarily caused a red-flag response --> all together and this f-tard was looking to cause panic and get ventilated

blurred out picture of the asshat here

i'd like to know how many times you've strapped on the body armor, hung 5 or six 30 rounders on your chest and slung an ar over you're shoulder to go shopping at wal-mart to prove your point? just askin', not trying to pick a fight. :)

I've not carried a rifle yet, its a bit inconvenient but given the devolving state of society I may be doing so sooner than you think. But I'm not going to bash a guy that has when he was perfectly well within his right to do so.
I do carry a rifle in every vehicle always with at least 6 spare mags as well as pistol mags and have for years, its not in reaction to anything gone on lately

I pretty much carry concealed( I don't walk out the door without a gun on, ever) but have open carried a handgun many times while shopping in Walmart and other stores as do a lot of other people around these parts. Never got a stare or an alarmed individual. Its just a different culture here, its not urban or suburban Massachusetts, its rural and semi rural Kentucky.
You do know that constitutional carry went into effect here July 1st right? No permit to carry concealed needed by anyone who's not a PP.
So far so good.

So what is your real reason/point in asking?

Back
Top Bottom