Gun lube question

Fairly new to guns so i have one question, how do you know when a gun is too dry or too "oiled" ? I know the first 4-5 answers I can ignore ! : )

depends on the gun.

some run better with a lot of lube, others not so much.

tell us the type of gun.

RTFM (read the firearm's manual)

Put some oil on it, and see if it works. If not, add oil, or wipe it out, depending on how much was there to start.

If it's "creaky", have you cleaned it?

Ignore if you want, but this is the answer. It's not rocket surgery.

it sounds like you're oiling the entire gun. don't do that. typically new gun folks with a bottle of oil end up way overdoing it. just oil areas of contact within the action. there are tons of youtube videos on this.

Follow the manufacturer's directions.

AR's like to be dripping wet. Other guns not so much. What do you have?

How do you know if it's too wet or too dry? That's a good question. Is the action smooth? Does it function correctly through hundreds of rounds?

In general, every place where metal slides on metal needs some sort of lube. Maybe oil, maybe grease. Depends on the design and the manual.

Light amount of oil for parts that rotate.
Light amount of grease for parts that slide.
Light amount of grease on the rails of semi auto handguns, especially if they are alloy framed.

Any gun oil is fine. Any grease if fine. I use Lubriplate 105, which can be found at most auto parts stores.

grease where there's shiny rubbing through the blue
use lightly lightly oiled patch over other metal surfaces
(especially when you handle... your fingerprints cause rust)

Dip it in a 5 gallon pail of oil make sure you get it all wet that way you'll be sure it's well lubed Glad I wasn't one of the first five you can ignore [smile]

depends on the gun.

some run better with a lot of lube, others not so much.

tell us the type of gun.

RTFM (read the firearm's manual)

Put some oil on it, and see if it works. If not, add oil, or wipe it out, depending on how much was there to start.

If it's "creaky", have you cleaned it?

Ignore if you want, but this is the answer. It's not rocket surgery.

But seriously, What he said ^

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom