Gun locks

Laura

NES Member
Just bought a 36LS. These things always come with gun locks. This is the second or third case I've thrown out because I couldn't get the lock off the box. Thank God it was a small gun that I could squeeze through the opening. Does anyone else here hate the locks as much as me? I can never seem to get it off when the shop puts it on the gun case. :(

Odd that these locks comply with the law. My new Smith came with a cable lock from the factory. There is no way to lock the box tightly enough to prevent someone from opening it part way and shaking the gun out!

I replaced the lock with a garden variety padlock today and now it's as secure as it can be until somebody opens it with a pocket knife or a pair of nail scissors!

I have to agree that they need to invent a better gun lock.
I might add that of the 2 Rugers I've bought in the last year those damn locks are the biggest pieces of sh*t on the planet...
Great guns, crappy locks.

I used to use an old Israeli ammo can that I put a hasp on until I got too many guns to fit in it. Then I went out and bought a wallmounted lock box for the guns.

Those S&W cases can be, as you mentioned, opened with a pocket knife. Just slit the back "hinge".

I'd rather trust the lock box. It's not the 800 LB safe that my buddy has, but it's better than my old ammo can.

Ross

The cable locks are intended to be used on the gun itself, not the box. Sure, using it or a cheap luggage pad lock on the box meets the legal requirements, but hardly provides anything like real security. In most cases that's more the fault of the box than of the lock. How strong of a lock does it make sense to put on a nylon gun rug or a plastic box?

Ken

You know, I went to Lowes, or Home Depot. They make these Stainless Tool cases for like 20 bucks that have a key lock on them. They are almost just like the ones you see in the gun shops for like 50 or so bucks. The only real difference is that this is a key lock, and not a combo lock.

It works, and it comes with the padding. And it's a hell of a lot better than the ones the guns come in. That's what I use to get back and forth to the range, comps, ect...

But I do have a 1000 lbs safe at home...and the sad thing, I need another one. I'm running out of space (in the safe). Ammo takes a lot of room.

But then, I don't have enough room in the house for another one.

C-pher said:
I'm running out of space (in the safe). Ammo takes a lot of room.

But then, I don't have enough room in the house for another one.

I can't remember who it was, but someone told me that he uses a metal milk crate to store his ammo in, and just uses 4 padlocks to lock down a pice of wire mesh over the top of it.

Meets the definition of "locked storage", cheap, easy to get, and easy to inventory what you have.

Ross

Yea, but with a little one in the house, I don't really think that would be a good ideal. LOL! But I like the thought.

I was thinking about getting a cheap gun cabinet made of that thin metal. The ones that you see for like 250 or so, Stack On I think that they are. And using that for ammo.

I was also thinking about getting an old frige and putting that in the basement. And putting a padlock on that. I'm sure that that would work for ammo. And it would keep it pretty sealed from the elements. YOu can get old fridges that no longer work pretty cheap. And they already have shelves in them.

I'll have to put up a picture of my safe.

Back
Top Bottom