Gun License vs. Liquor License

Great article.

There is also no constitutionally affirmed right to booze.

We really need to take back our education system.

What about glass bottles? Shouldn't those be banned as well for being evil or dangerous? Lots of bars use plastic bottles or cups for this very reason. See it's already a problem and no one realizes it!! [wink]

Sure there is. It's called the Ninth Amendment.

Don't you mean the twenty first amendment?

It just says that the 18th is repealed and that you cannot bring it to a place where it is prohibited.

As for the ninth, in a more round-about way, it just basically tells the federal govt to leave everyone alone WRT everything else, not listed.

So, i guess you could argue it.. but it seems a bit farther to stretch than any affirmation listed by the 2nd amendment. (which was my case)

There is no article that says "Congress shall make no law restricting the access and distribution of intoxicating beverages"

Oh, and by the way, I agree with the concept 100%
As far as i'm concerned, if it doesn't say congress can do it, they may not.

No, I mean the Ninth Amendment. The one that, had it not been ignored, would have prevented prohibition (and the failed war on drugs for that matter) in the first place:

"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

Don't you mean the twenty first amendment?

It just says that the 18th is repealed and that you cannot bring it to a place where it is prohibited.

As for the ninth, in a more round-about way, it just basically tells the federal govt to leave everyone alone WRT everything else, not listed.

So, i guess you could argue it.. but it seems a bit farther to stretch than any affirmation listed by the 2nd amendment. (which was my case)

There is no article that says "Congress shall make no law restricting the access and distribution of intoxicating beverages"

Oh, and by the way, I agree with the concept 100%
As far as i'm concerned, if it doesn't say congress can do it, they may not.

I think we both said the same thing.

Yes, the fact that it is consistently ignored is a source of major problems.

I think we both said the same thing.

Yes, the fact that it is consistently ignored is a source of major problems.

ya I think we agree. Too many fail to realize that what is not expressely granted as power to the .gov cannot be assumed and similarly what is not expressely forbidden of the citizens cannot be assumed to be illegal. The Ninth was intended to protect that. I suppose it's easy to ignore such a vague statement.

The article is almost partially true especially with a lot of liquor stores and restaurants strictly enforcing the "ID your own grandmother rule". You're basically required to have some form of identification and they are not free so in a way you almost do pay for a license to drink. However you're right to drink can't be revoked and I am thankful for that because I loves me good beer.

Back
Top Bottom