• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun law surveys

I am writing a paper on if more strict gun laws will lead to less shootings and deaths. I need to find some surveys to use in my paper and i cant seem to find any good ones. So i was wondering if anyone knows any good surveys i could use...thanks for the help

Your paper should read, enforce the laws already in place. If we don't enforce current laws what good are new ones?

I am writing a paper on if more strict gun laws will lead to less shootings and deaths. I need to find some surveys to use in my paper and i cant seem to find any good ones. So i was wondering if anyone knows any good surveys i could use...thanks for the help

If you are going down the survey route while trying to prove an argument, you are approaching it from the wrong angle. It is irrelevant what a certain group has to say about a topic when trying to prove cause and effect. To quote a survey in defense of your initial statement is what is called a "social proof"; an opinion poll isn't an argument at all.

To start, state your argument that you wish to prove. For example, "More gun control means less shootings for these reasons" and then list out the reasons. It's not clear from your post which side you are going to try and defend. (Hint: the anti-gun position will fail a rational analysis)

its a paper for a research methods class and the teacher is looking for surveys/studies..so i was looking to do mine on the ongoing problem of gun control

Your paper should read, enforce the laws already in place. If we don't enforce current laws what good are new ones?

I definitely would not use this argument, though I understand that it is probably a well intentioned one. Massachusetts' laws are already a host of infringements and it would be a logical nightmare to try and defend the arbitrary laws already on the books but oppose equally illogicial laws yet to be proposed by those with an anti-gun agenda.

i dont need to defend a side just provide research on the matter. like as to what people think...im just looking for views on the topic

Last edited:

So the professor/teacher wants you to get the data from all sides, but not critically analyze the arguments? What good is research if you can't verify the conclusion of what the research says? Sounds like a total waste of time.

So the professor/teacher wants you to get the data from all sides, but not critically analyze the arguments? What good is research if you can't verify the conclusion of what the research says? Sounds like a total waste of time.

It may be, but build your own survey (survey monkey) and ask us to contribute, both with the questions, and then the answers. You could also ask others to participate depending on the sample that you want. We should be able to help you ask questions that are not logic traps.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

It's homework. Since when was homework not a waste of time? But he will learn from it so that makes it OK.

I like the survey monkey idea. Go put your survey down in survey monkey and post up for comments on the questions. Then once the questions are set in stone, you can turn the survey wild. You should ask for responses from more than just gun owners and then identify who is a gun owner and who is not. You will find that the answers will differ between the two populations. Then comparing that finding with John Lott's research work on the topic will be illuminating.

Back
Top Bottom