Gun inheritance while original owner is still alive?

Hey guys, quick question. I'm wondering if I can register guns as inheritance if the original owner is still alive. My grandfather is not doing well, he has dimentia and his living situation has currently changed from a mobile home park to a nursing home.

He still holds an unrestricted LTC, basically I want to get the guns out of the current location, his old house where they are unattended and quite frankly not in the best spot and somewhat easily accessible to come into my possession where I have better storage options.

Is there anyway I can put them in a portal as inheritance or would I have to wait until he passes. There's too many to EFA-10, and he is unable to make it to a FFL. I just want them out of there current location and in a safer spot but I don't want to take possession of them until I know I can put them into my name.

Thanks in advance

There is nothing wrong with taking them home for safekeeping till you decide how to
If your legal why not just take them home.
I'm legal, the problem is I'm not listed in a will or a primary beneficiary or anything along those lines with anything to do with him.

My uncle is... The guns technically go to him, but he is unable to get a FID or LTC. He's power of attorney and basically told me that I can have the guns and we can decide what to do with them down the road.

I just want to make sure that I'm good to go if I take possession of them.

Get this thread deleted and then put the weapons in your safe.

If nobody in the family wants them take them for responsible safe keeping, if others do want them let people know you have them in storage.

When time comes you can figure out the inheritance part.
Op, listen to these guys. Good advise.

I'm legal, the problem is I'm not listed in a will or a primary beneficiary or anything along those lines with anything to do with him.

My uncle is... The guns technically go to him, but he is unable to get a FID or LTC. He's power of attorney and basically told me that I can have the guns and we can decide what to do with them down the road.

They are part of his estate right now so his heir(s) need to know. The guy with power of attorney shouldn't be just giving away parts of his estate without agreement/permission from the heir(s).

p.s. You can't inherit something from someone who isn't dead.

They are part of his estate right now so his heir(s) need to know. The guy with power of attorney shouldn't be just giving away parts of his estate without agreement/permission from the heir(s).

Well the guy with power of attorney is his son/heir. He's in control of everything to do with his estate, all his finances and belongings.

Well the guy with power of attorney is his son/heir. He's in control of everything to do with his estate, all his finances and belongings.

There is technically a way to receive property out of the estate of a living person, but this is somewhat complicated and would be best discussed with a lawyer who focuses on probate law.

Have put it in writing that you are storing the guns until the owner passes at which point a decision will be made.
Don't over complicate this.

Get this thread deleted and then put the weapons in your safe.
I feel like it’s from the scene from Billy Madison we’re all dumber for hearing the original poster talk. I get legitimate questions but we’re all dumber for hearing this ..

“Put it in writing”Yeah that’ll be worth the paper it’s written on

And your father or mother would be his son or daughter too and heir (unless they have passed)

GET IT IN WRITING

GET IT IN WRITING.
Signed and notarized. Values clearly stated.

eFA10 limit is imposed because any more is considered acting as a dealer, no restrictions on eFA10 per year as a buyer.

I’d have grandpa on one of his lucid days transfer all firearms to you legally. If the State wants to try and prosecute him, they’d be waisting their time.

If you’re not comfortable with that, pick out your four favorites and transfer those now. Figure out the rest later... nothing prohibits you from holding them in storage for safe keeping as others have said.

I feel like it’s from the scene from Billy Madison we’re all dumber for hearing the original poster talk. I get legitimate questions but we’re all dumber for hearing this ..
I mean... All I asked is... is it ok to take possession of someone else's guns who has dimentia, and if I register them in the portal pre maturely as inheritance is that going to raise red flags.

Idk how that's not a legitimate question or why you're dumber for hearing that. If you're here to be an a**h*** just do us all a favor and leave. I don't need useless input from someone who spends there time rediculing forum posts.

I’m just saying likely somebody with dementia is at that age where there is no record of any of the guns but if you want to run down and cause more problems for yourself that’s fine.Id delete the thread and contact an attorney if you’re that worried about it, you just go take them. There’s nothing illegal about it

There is no registry. Only a record of transfers...I’m not an attorney but I’m thinking about trying to pass the bar. So free advice keep your mouth shut

See post #14. The guns can all be transferred by the pers rep/executor in probate. You will need grampa’s LTC.
unfortunately, I was the personal representative in a nasty probate of estate involving many guns and accessories.
Death is not kind to the survivors, in many ways.....

I somehow doubt a person with dementia is keeping up on their LTC. Feel bad for the guy

I’m just saying likely somebody with dementia is at that age where there is no record of any of the guns but if you want to run down and cause more problems for yourself that’s fine.Id delete the thread and contact an attorney if you’re that worried about it, you just go take them. There’s nothing illegal about it
Guns are all in the DCJIS in his name. Gramps was a FFL holder for a while and still had an active LTC. Dimentia is fairly recent but progressing fast.

As long as I can hold onto them legally that's pretty much all I want to know. If the easiest path is for him to kick the bucket and I can transfer them through the protal as inheritance that's what I'll do.

Shit the whole FFL things is awhole other situation.you need an attorney

Guns are all in the DCJIS in his name. Gramps was a FFL holder for a while and still had an active LTC. Dimentia is fairly recent but progressing fast.

As long as I can hold onto them legally that's pretty much all I want to know. If the easiest path is for him to kick the bucket and I can transfer them through the protal as inheritance that's what I'll do.
If you’re not willed the guns, do a simple transfer for each, not inherited. Your uncle does the transfers.

Back
Top Bottom