• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun in purse fires when dropped

Ok, I've dropped a gun hundreds of times and never had one go off. In fact, I don't think I've ever had anything dislodge.

So someone wanna tell me how this stupidity happens?

It was an old FIE Titan from the 70's / 80's that clearly didn't have a firing pin safety. It happens.

Ok, I've dropped a gun hundreds of times and never had one go off.

Are you French?

I have the same gun ... to load a round in the chamber the hammer is cocked (single action mode). Sounds like the safety may not have been on.

Mistake 1: Gun in purse.
Mistake 2: Trigger probably not covered.

Probably had some object in the purse press up against the trigger on impact.
That gun has an awkward safety, probably wasn't on.

Last edited:
Whoops:

"St. Petersburg police spokesman Mike Puetz said Beck, who does not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, was given the gun by her dad a year ago and had forgotten it was in her bag."

I'd make a joke about how one can carry a weapon in their handbag for a year and not find it, but my wife might read this post.

handguns with safeties... meh.

not carrying in a responsible manner... double meh.

Authorities squawking 'bout gun permits ... triple meh.

Meh meh meh meh

IMO pistols and revolvers carried in purses or fanny packs are simply accidents waiting to happen. They should only be carried strapped on tight and held close to the body. Yes, that can be a little inconvenient at times but that is the only way they will always be under your direct and positive control. You would be amazed at how many times guns in purses and fanny packs have become accidentally lost or misplaced to the great embarrassment of the owner and at great risk to the general public. The same goes for guns kept under the driver side front seats of cars. It's just not worth the risk.

Last edited:
The Titan is a $100 piece of shit copy of a beretta.

It is a single action gun with a hammer safety notch and no firing pin block. If you have a round in the chamber and aren't smart enough to set the hammer on the safety notch, then the gun can go off if bumped in the hammer.

Can't fix stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

IMO pistols and revolvers carried in purses or fanny packs are simply accidents waiting to happen. They should only be carried strapped on tight and held close to the body. Yes, that can be a little inconvenient at times but that is the only way they will always be under your direct and positive control. You would be amazed at how many times guns in purses and fanny packs have be lost or misplaced to the great embarrassment of the owner and at great risk to the general public. The same goes for guns kept under the driver side front seats of cars. It's just not worth the risk.

Off body carry is stupid, I agree. Mainly because of the chance that your gun will be taken from you. (why would you put your gun in the item that thieves are most likely to take?)

But it can be done safely if the gun is in a decent holster while inside the purse. It needs to have some type of retention. Even a clip in Kydex holster that completely encloses the trigger and trigger guard is fine. In the case of that crap gun, she should have carried with an empty chamber. Then holsterless carry is fine.

It was an old FIE Titan from the 70's / 80's that clearly didn't have a firing pin safety. It happens.

This ?

7ceb3e1cbea897f82a7fbd100e96ac76.jpg

Back
Top Bottom