• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

gun ID please

Anyone? Think its italian...imported by CAI.

Attachments

• IMG_20140604_180429_925.jpg
    IMG_20140604_180429_925.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20140604_180420_323.jpg
    IMG_20140604_180420_323.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 252
Moving this to the surplus forum because there are a lot of people there with extensive knowledge that don't check the rest of NES.

That looks like a Carcano M91/38 Calvary Carbine. The end cap makes it look like that. There should be a bayonet attached to the muzzle end that folds like a Mosin M44.
. I will need more pics to tell for sure. The caliber should be marked on the receiver. These were made in 6.5, 7.5 and some were converted to 8mm by the Germans. There should also be a date in both the usual form and also in Roman numerals relating to Il Duce's reign. Oswal used a M38 carbine. So while this one is in the same family it is not the same model.

The clips are not stripper clips like for a Mauser but an enbloc clip like a garand. Stick the loaded clip into the magazine from a above until it stops then close the bolt. When the last round is chambered, the clip will fall out of the hole in the bottom of the mag.

Last edited:
Last edited:
It is an interesting rifle. I have heard quite a few stories about their development and variants. The ammi is tough to find, but the clips can be found on eBay and at gun shows. Without the clips it is a single shot.

That looks like a Carcano M91/38 Calvary Carbine. The end cap makes it look like that. There should be a bayonet attached to the muzzle end that folds like a Mosin M44.
. I will need more pics to tell for sure. The caliber should be marked on the receiver. These were made in 6.5, 7.5 and some were converted to 8mm by the Germans. There should also be a date in both the usual form and also in Roman numerals relating to Il Duce's reign. Oswal used a M38 carbine. So while this one is in the same family it is not the same model.

The clips are not stripper clips like for a Mauser but an enbloc clip like a garand. Stick the loaded clip into the magazine from a above until it stops then close the bolt. When the last round is chambered, the clip will fall out of the hole in the bottom of the mag.

This. Feeds like this with a special Carcano clip, 6,5x52, as in my Italian Vetterli.

T

Yes, that's what it is. Did a little research last night, and sure enough, that's the one. Yes, it has the spike bayonet that swings out like the Mosin. Pretty cool rifle. Needs to be cleaned up. It has a stamp on the backside of the barrel that says it was imported by CAI. How do I figure out manufacture date with the serial number?

How do I figure out manufacture date with the serial number?

You cannot figure out the date by the serial number that I know of. There is no need. The Italians put the date on the receiver in two ways. They look like this.

carc.JPG

The year it was made in regular numbers and Roman numerals that relate to the years of the reign of Mousilinni starting from the year 1922.

There are a few exceptions where the year is not on the receiver. But a CC should have it.

Back
Top Bottom