Gun-friendly Liberty University to open on-campus shooting range

"Liberty University is planning to open a state-of-the-art shooting range on campus next fall as part of the conservative Evangelical Christian School’s commitment to promoting gun ownership and firearm sports.

"University president Jerry Falwell Jr. said that Liberty’s new complex will feature pistol, rifle and shotgun facilities as well as an archery range built into the mountainside of the 7,000-acre campus near Lynchburg, Va. Falwell said the project will result in one of the most expansive firearms ranges on any U.S. college campus. The blueprints call for at least $1 million in construction and landscape improvements that will provide new opportunities for student clubs and athletic teams.

“'This is one of the examples of how Liberty is unique and different,' Falwell said in an interview. 'We really had the perfect setting for our own competitive shooting range.'

"The shooting range will be the latest high-tech addition to a campus that already features a year-round snowless ski and snowboard center, an indoor ice-skating rink and an equestrian facility."

Full article, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...campus-shooting-range/?utm_term=.15d10d05bb53.

Last edited:
Excellent. My high school had a mandatory training program that consisted of fencing (freshman year), archery (sophomore year), small arms - .22 cal rifle and pistol (junior year) and high power rifle - .308 (senior year). You had to demonstrate proficiency in each skill to graduate. BTW we also had 4 years of Latin, Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, History, Logic/Ethics and Literature. Needless to say, our studies left us little time for mischief.

Good. My college had an indoor range for the rifle team (3 position 22lr). It was turned into football equipment storage in the early 80s when the rifle team was disbanded. The claim was the team was disbanded for Title IX reasons, but that was BS. Rifle was a coed sport, it actually helped with Title IX accounting. The real reason was the athletic department wanted more space (and money) for football and basketball.

Still not a good enough reason to attend liberty....I went to college at Longwood in farmville (about 35-40 mins from Lynchburg)....the rules they make the students live by is more restrictive than any other college around

That being said I applaud the decision to spend university funds to further the exposure and ability to exercise the right

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If they're supporting the 2A, then they're a-ok. They're also a Christian university and that's also a great blessing for believers.

Freedom to exercise your chosen religion and right to carry all in one place.

I feel bad for kids who get the option of liberty or nothing as far as parental support for school.

Mike

I'm sure they'll grow up to be extremely boring and refined members of society who don't have a drinking problem or illegal-in-some-states sexual tendencies and never did shitloads of molly in the club scene

If they're supporting the 2A, then they're a-ok. They're also a Christian university and that's also a great blessing for believers.

Freedom to exercise your chosen religion and right to carry all in one place.

Ah, but no freedom NOT to exercise your religion. So, no freedom at all. Screw that.

I went to a nice, cheap public university and got a great education with no religious brainwashing. My school had a range, too. Plus pistol, rifle, and knife-fighting classes.

I've said it before on here, I'll say it again: universities in Western states just aren't the same as the ones NESers like to spout off about.

As soon as you leave the soft sciences most universities are decent places. There is some self-selection going on in these departments. I see 10X more whining in preaching in a law school that has a reputation for being a bit more conservative than others in the area than I did at UMass, which is known to be super liberal, in the life sciences department studying biology. The UMass gun club had 100s of students go through when was there, and they were disproportionately members of STEM majors, noticeably so.

RE "liberty" university and religion. It's evangelical brainwashing. Just another way for parents to over-parent after their kids have left their house... just under the guise of "religion." What good is having guns if your school doesn't let you get laid, and discriminates against homosexuals? **** that place... but they like guns so its cool though.

Mike

I'm sure they'll grow up to be extremely boring and refined members of society who don't have a drinking problem or illegal-in-some-states sexual tendencies and never did shitloads of molly in the club scene

Unless they become a priest.

Too bad liberty is a ****ing batshit crazy school, with liberty being quite the ironic name. To each their own, I suppose.

Mike

My father is a bat shit crazy Falwell disciple and my younger sister went to Liberty. They have a faux dinosaur skeleton in the foyer of the science department with a plaque on it that says "4000 BC". It's not a University, it's fringe, fundamentalist indoctrination center.

Last edited:
Nice. Hopefully more campuses across the nation will follow suit. They can do it in the name of 'diversity' if it makes them 'feel' better.

Still not a good enough reason to attend liberty....I went to college at Longwood in farmville (about 35-40 mins from Lynchburg)....the rules they make the students live by is more restrictive than any other college around

That being said I applaud the decision to spend university funds to further the exposure and ability to exercise the right

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Apparently none of you guys have heard of this place.

http://www.pcci.edu/

It makes Liberty look "liberal".

Apparently none of you guys have heard of this place.

http://www.pcci.edu/

It makes Liberty look "liberal".
Religious schools are all loaded with whackos. PCC is just a little whackier than some of the others.

The seductive nature and worldly music of most forms of dancing are contrary to biblical principles. PCC wants students to have a wholesome relationship with members of the opposite gender without the temptations that are often associated with dancing, so dancing is not permitted.
Are the kids going to have to hold their prom in the next county again? Kevin Bacon would not approve.

The Bible indicates that all sexual activity outside of marriage is sin. Therefore, the following is considered to be sexually immoral: fornication, adultery, homosexual behavior, or any other sexual perversion.
Who gets to decide just what is a "sexual perversion"? Do they have classes in determining the difference? Is there an audio-video demonstration format?

Religious kooks can teach whatever they want. Good for Liberty university for being pro-2A......if only they would work a little more on all the basic rights that they don't believe exist.

Back
Top Bottom