• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Friendly Home Owner's Insurance?

Hi All. I currently have Amica insurance and made some inquiries about covering my guns and liability. They told me not only will they not provide liability, but they will only cover $2500 in guns. It seems like they are not gun friendly at all. Does anyone have any suggestions for an insurance company that will allow riders to cover the liability and more than $2500 in loses? My wife and I are looking to switch everything over to one company (auto, home, liability, and life). Thanks for any information in advance

What do you mean by "not provide liability"? Are you referring to a refusal to write the general unbrella personal liability policy, or claiming that they don'c cover liability issues for guns? The standard homeowners form covers non-criminal negligence on the part of the policy holder, and doesn't generally have a "gun exclusion". The $2500 limit is probably for loss by theft or mysterious disappearance, with a fire related loss being covered the same as any other household content. This is typical of certain high value items, and is commonly applied to stamps, coins, bullion, currency, jewelery and the like.

What do you mean by "not provide liability"? Are you referring to a refusal to write the general unbrella personal liability policy, or claiming that they don'c cover liability issues for guns? The standard homeowners form covers non-criminal negligence on the part of the policy holder, and doesn't generally have a "gun exclusion". The $2500 limit is probably for loss by theft or mysterious disappearance, with a fire related loss being covered the same as any other household content. This is typical of certain high value items, and is commonly applied to stamps, coins, bullion, currency, jewelery and the like.

They said there is absolutely no coverage under their policies if I were to be sued for use of the firearm in legal self defense. Normally you are covered for any liability, as long as you didn't break the law.

You are right about the $2500, but for all other types of items you can get a rider (office equipment, jewelry, etc.). With Amica they don't offer any such rider for guns. Even the representative admitted this isn't the first time he was asked the question and agreed the company isn't gun friendly.

Normally you are covered for any liability, as long as you didn't break the law.

First off, the text of the policy and the courts determine what is covered, not the agent.

The real issue is that "intentional acts the forseeable consequences of which are injury to persons" are generally specifically excluded, however, some policies have an exception for intentional acts intended to protect persons or property from harm. I don't have enough information on case law to know if a self defense act intended to protect yourself or your family would fall under the exception. It's kind of like trying to figure out if it's legal to carry in a post office :).

Normally you are covered for any liability, as long as you didn't break the law.

Incorrect - you are covered for negligence and accidents, not "intentional acts" which you could reasonably be expected to know would cause injury.

I have Safety Ins. and upgraded to an umbrella policy and asked them about firearms coverage and "accidents" from hunting or the range and they said I am covered as long as it was not intentional. (i.e., murder) I didn't ask about self defense because they address that in the sense of you are not covered if you started a "fight" and did do, or you agents did, personal or property damage. They do not exclude self defense anyplace in the policy.

It's sad that this even needs to be a concern, that a criminal can sue you for having to defend yourself, your family or your property against their assaults.

It's sad that this even needs to be a concern, that a criminal can sue you for having to defend yourself, your family or your property against their assaults.

At the Second Amendment March, Suzanna Hupp mentioned insurance she purchased which covers legal fees should the need for armed self-defense ever arise. She didn't state a company name, and my web searches haven't turn up anything yet, but I'll post more information here if I can find it.

And by the way, for anyone who doesn't know about Suzanna Hupp, you may want to search out her story because it's very powerful. I had already read about it, but to hear her tell it in person was really something.

At the Second Amendment March, Suzanna Hupp mentioned insurance she purchased which covers legal fees should the need for armed self-defense ever arise. She didn't state a company name, and my web searches haven't turn up anything yet, but I'll post more information here if I can find it.

And by the way, for anyone who doesn't know about Suzanna Hupp, you may want to search out her story because it's very powerful. I had already read about it, but to hear her tell it in person was really something.

Thanks Fisher, I'll check that out.

I'll do some looking, but Wright and Co (something like that anyway) personal liability insurance is what a lot of LEOs use to cover themselves in case of something like that. It's 1am with a crying baby, not really at the top of my game at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom