Gun Free Zones

Something came to mind today when I was standing around waiting in line at a post office in Dorchester.

While at the counter I was looking at the package passing system they have for the clerk to the customer. It's like a bullet proof enclosure that can only be open on one side at a time. The entire clerk area was covered by bullet resistant/proof material. If firearms were already prohibited by federal law on federal property why do they have the bullet resistant stuff set up?

This seems like something that can be pointed out when people talk about how GFZs work and just restricting where guns are allowed would prevent stuff from happening. The government seems to know that it doesn't work well enough they need to put up the glass to protect their workers.

More likely they know their customer base! [rofl]

I've never seen anything like that in any of the suburban post offices I've walked in. They are merely a counter where both parties can easily reach across.

That glass is there because you are in Quincy. I have never in my life been in a post office that had glass between me and the postal worker. You sure it isn't there to protect the customers? "Going postal" and all... [laugh]

It was Dorchester, all the ones I've always been to was an open counter in Quincy.

More likely they know their customer base! [rofl]

I've never seen anything like that in any of the suburban post offices I've walked in. They are merely a counter where both parties can easily reach across.

Well it was kind of shady there they aren't wrong.. or at least it was shady for me being from Quincy and all [wink]

I do not think I have ever seen that in a Post Office around here, even the one on Winter Hill doesn't have that.

Dover is considered a "city" in NH (only 30,000 people) and it does not have glass or "shielding" to protect anyone. Glass doors to enter and then a fully open lobby and no glass or barrier other than the counter between you and the post office workers.

You are living in the wrong town LOL.

Something came to mind today when I was standing around waiting in line at a post office in Dorchester.

While at the counter I was looking at the package passing system they have for the clerk to the customer. It's like a bullet proof enclosure that can only be open on one side at a time. The entire clerk area was covered by bullet resistant/proof material. If firearms were already prohibited by federal law on federal property why do they have the bullet resistant stuff set up?

This seems like something that can be pointed out when people talk about how GFZs work and just restricting where guns are allowed would prevent stuff from happening. The government seems to know that it doesn't work well enough they need to put up the glass to protect their workers.
Because you are in Dorchester .

Same reason why some convenience stores have bullet proof glass enclosures while the suburban and rural ones have nothing. I've never seen bars on windows of a house or apartment in the burbs, rarely do you see them on businesses but you see them all the time in the city.

Remove the cities from the country and crime would be as rare as a good idea from the obama admin.

The KFC near the Dorchester courthouse at Park and Washington Streets is all decked out with bulletproof glass separating the workers from the clientele... even the drive thru. Never thought I'd see a bulletproof Lazy Susan.

I can see why the KFCs or convenience/liquor stores have it, but this is focusing on how even the government knows their GFZ doesn't work and suits up their place in the rough neighborhood to prove as such

While at the counter I was looking at the package passing system they have for the clerk to the customer. It's like a bullet proof enclosure that can only be open on one side at a time. The entire clerk area was covered by bullet resistant/proof material.

Are you sure you didn't wander into a Comcast customer service center by mistake?

[wink]

Post Offices which handle a large number of money orders tend to have the glass. Many older grand post offices were set up similar to banks security wise with teller style banking screens because of the amount of cash, checks, and stock coupons behind handled via mail. It's also why screwing with the mail is a big time criminal offense.

Back
Top Bottom