Gun Folks Are Just The Nicest Folks

Yeah so maybe its a blanket statement but it sure seems to be more true than not.

I spent about 3 hours today at the ranges at HSC. I had along with me a lady friend of mine who is a fairly new shooter (within the year). She lives not too far from Harvard's facilities and had been thinking about joining based on my recommendations. Anyway, I gave her the guided tour and we spent the rest of the time on the 7-50yd range and finished with some plinking on the plates in the pits.

During the time we spent on the main range, there were more than a dozen other shooters that came and went. Everyone could not have been nicer, or more courteous or more friendly. A gentleman came to shoot next to us on the 7yd range and we got to chatting. I admired his Para Warthog and he my old Ruger Speed Six. We traded with each other for a few rounds. I have to say the Para surprised me in its size and quite frankly its accuracy. He enjoyed the wheel gun. Another group was there with some kids around 12 years old or so and they were really enjoying themselves. My friend just had a fantastic time (and pretty much cleaned out the center of the target too!)

There are so few places today where you encounter good people with smiles on their faces. There are so few places today where you encounter people so willing to offer a pleasant hello or who exhibit a willingness to just be friendly.

I know most of us here are not surprised by these 'revelations' and I only wish more people out there, especially the anti-gunners, could be exposed this reality. There is currently another thread here regarding bringing new people to the range. Take it to heart folks and bring a 'newbie' to the range whenever you get the chance. Let them see we are not gun fondling ogres cackling as we let the lead fly downrange. Let them see there are still nice people in the world and, yeah, some of them even enjoy shooting sports.

Ooops one more thing...

We stopped at the Blue Northern Trading Company in Ayer MA on the way for some targets and a few odds & ends on the way to the range. My first time in the shop but everyone there was very nice and helpful. Just more icing on a great day!

+1

I picked up a new pistol at Collectors today and after cleaning the gun and playing nice to my wife I was off to ASC! 3 1/2 hours later I came home! I spent the day chatting with 2 members I had not met before. We talked, laughed, told stories, smoked cigars and actually shot a little! Sharing each other's firearms, ammo and good nature.

It is really fun to spend time doing something so relaxing and enjoying the company of others that share at least one of your interests.

I was the one that made out today, I was plinking with a new to me
S&W 422. If we shot $2.00 worth of ammo that was alot (thus the economical 22 range gun). Then I shot their firearms : S&W 357, 41, 44, 45, 500, Savage 308, some Safari Rifle 458 (?) caliber (4 inch long cartridge that just about tore my shoulder apart...WOW), AK47 and a Mossberg 500 pistol grip slug shooter.

Now this is why I joined a gun club (to socialize, not shoot everyone else's guns but that is a really neat benefit). 8~)

We stopped at the Blue Northern Trading Company in Ayer MA on the way for some targets and a few odds & ends on the way to the range. My first time in the shop but everyone there was very nice and helpful. Just more icing on a great day!

Blue Northern is my favorite shop. I was in there today around noon to buy some cleaning supplies. Bill, Ronny, Tom, and everybody that works there are great people.

... there are still nice people in the world and, yeah, some of them even enjoy shooting sports.
+100,
both here on the NES forums and at the range.

I can't tell you the number of times that I've seen the very best competitors offer hard won knowledge and the loan of equipment to their competition. Deals for hundreds or even thousands of dollars usually depend on a person's honor and a handshake and no one thinks twice about it.
It is a different, and better, world in the shooting sports.[grin]

+1 on Blue Northern. I'm also a fly fisherman, and they have a nice fly-fishing section as well a reasonable selection of shooting items. Now, if they only stocked more reloading supplies . . .

I've always noticed how friendly people are at the gun range. I wonder if it has anything to do with the old saying that an armed society is a polite society?

What I mean is, the idea of intimidation or fear is gone when everyone there is armed. I never give it a second thought that these gun carrying people could be a danger. (Other than some who need to brush up on their safety habits) Shooting just doesn't lend itself to the kind of behavior that leads to arguments and fights, at least not by legal, trained shooters and club members. (Eddie C, YMMV!!!! LOLOL... I am still thinking about bags of rice and ashtrays!!)

The 2 consistently nice, and high quality groups of people that I have met are committed martial artists, and shooters.

true enough, some of the fantastic people here have invited me out to go shooting with them and I plan on taking them up on it! Actually I am tomorrow morning just over the bourne bridge! See ya there flotter!

+1 to the thread. IMHO most shooters are proud of the equipment they have acquired and letting other shooters have a go with it is the ultimate way to show it off. Also most remember the awkwardness of being a beginner, and are willing to help others by sharing what they have learned. It's also my opinion that the outgoing friendliness of most shooters is a byproduct of us being outcasts in mainstream society, when meeting someone that shares our passion and interests it is almost impossible not to embrace that camaraderie. Just my .02

It's also my opinion that the outgoing friendliness of most shooters is a byproduct of us being outcasts in mainstream society, when meeting someone that shares our passion and interests it is almost impossible not to embrace that camaraderie. Just my .02

Ya just hit the nail on the head there.
thumb.gif

Shooting just doesn't lend itself to the kind of behavior that leads to arguments and fights, at least not by legal, trained shooters and club members. (Eddie C, YMMV!!!! LOLOL... I am still thinking about bags of rice and ashtrays!!)

Much like a skunk, I've always tended to mind my own business unless prodded. Besides, all of that stuff happened in my misspent youth, back when violence wasn't necessarily a last resort. I'm actually a pretty nice guy.

Back on track...

I totally agree with the premise of this thread. Without exception, every experience that I've had with real shooters has been positive, and I learn something every time I go out.

I totally agree with the premise of this thread. Without exception, every experience that I've had with real shooters has been positive, and I learn something every time I go out.

And then some. It seems that the shooting community is the opposite of the "regular" populace. Rather than a bunch of a-holes with a few decent folk mixed in, it seems that the overwhelming majority of shooters are good people, with only a few bad apples in the bunch.

As far as learning something each time I meet with other shooters, I couldn't agree more. There's a wealth of knowledge gathered anytime you put a group of dedicated individuals together, and the shooting sports category is no exception.

I am proud to be a shooter, and a member of NES. [smile]

My wife has noticed that I almost never am home when I claim I will be when I go shooting... I seem to wind up spending more time shooting the bull than my guns! Gunowners are, by and large, really nice folks.

And Blue Northern is a real old-fashioned gun shop, plunked down right here in the People's Republik of MA - who'd a thunk it? I was very surprised, and pleasantly so, when I stopped in on my way to Shirley for the shoot. I didn't know it was there, just saw the sign and stopped to pick up some .30 carbine ammo. Nice big shop, friendly counter help... nice place.

I've met some of the nicest and most generous people thru this great sport/hobby. It's kind of unique in many ways. When people have a new car or motorcycle they don't often ask other enthusiasts if they want to give it a spin. On the other hand most gun people I've met actually encourage you to try their most prized possessions. Cool.

I think everyone has come up with good reasons... I'll just sit back and enjoy the continued great times.

+1

Sold the LC1500 and bought more guns!

I won't let my son get his motorcycle pemit but he's waiting for his FID to show up in the mail.

8~)

Back
Top Bottom