Gun Control Trump vs Bush

Devils Paintbrush

NES Member
Long but good article comparing the mistakes George Bush made endorsing gun control that helped kill his second term and the path that Trump is currently taking.

In 2020 I will vote in my tenth presidential election since I have been of voting age. Not once have I voted for a Democrat, since their positions on gun control directly contradict my own.

If there is another AWB that is enacted, it could severely reduce the chances that the President will be re-elected.

Trump & Gun Rights: Keep Your Promises, Mr. President | National Review

It's potentially worse than that, huge GOP fallout in general if that happens. Likely GOP voters, especially wonky square state independents, will stay home if they think the offerings are a total joke. (this is part of the reason people like McCrap and Romney lost elections, because nobody took them seriously and they had poor records on middle america issues like guns etc. )

Dems only win when the middle doesn't show up. Problem is you have to give wonkies and mostly conservatives a
reason to show up. Rs going full RINO is not going to be a compelling sell. Apparently there are some R-hemorrhoids around trying to suggest that "gun control is a centrist viewpoint" but that's a bunch of horseshit, its a product of far left lunacy, etc that likes to act like its in the middle.

-Mike

Problem with the left and right politics right now is that the 'right' is very concentrated in one part of the spectrum, whereas the left is spread out, seeping further and further left.

I miss the classic liberals who you could have a discussion with, and you'd agree on all the problems but argue who's solutions were better.

Now if I misgender someone I'm an alt right nazi. If I support strong border policy I'm a racist. And if I dare muse at the differences of gender in society and physiologically I'm a misogynist

Last edited:
Problem with the left and right politics right now is that the 'right's i very concentrated in one part of the spectrum, whereas the left is spread out, seeping further and further left.

I miss the classic liberals who you could have a discussion with, and you'd agree on all the problems but argue who's solutions were better.

Now if I misgender someone I'm an alt right nazi. If I support strong border policy I'm a racist. And if I dare muse at the differences of gender in society and physiologically I'm a misogynist

On the bright side, people don't have to work as hard these days to qualify for those things :p

Long but good article comparing the mistakes George Bush made endorsing gun control that helped kill his second term and the path that Trump is currently taking.

In 2020 I will vote in my tenth presidential election since I have been of voting age. Not once have I voted for a Democrat, since their positions on gun control directly contradict my own.

If there is another AWB that is enacted, it could severely reduce the chances that the President will be re-elected.

Well first off George Bush was a Neocon and was directly responsible for squandering the Regan legacy. Secondly the recently deceased Ross Perot cost Bush his second term, not that there was much difference between Bush and Clinton. And third, the Republican Party is even further diluted now versus under Bush so there is no strength behind it. They are simply Democrats who dress better.

I honestly believe that Trump does not want to be president. He wanted to see if he could win the election and he did.

an AWB is unlikely to get through both chambers of congress and Trump will not sign it. he has nothing to gain by this. the lefties will still hate him. the moderates will not be won over by an AWB.

the D's are in a period of transition from implosion to fragmentation. five years from now the D party is going to look very different. in the meantime they are not a viable party in current form. while we can enjoy this process and the free entertainment it generates, what I worry about are the internal actors who will try to sabotage trumps re-election in 2020. come mid 2020 we are going to see various "whistleblowers" within .gov incentivized by the establishment to leak and ruin his presidency. it's not hard to take a scandal and pin it on the president. i would not worry about either the R's or the D's right now. both are weak. Trumps greatest threat are the swamp creatures, which happen to be the primary threat to our country as a whole.

while I'm not a big fan of AG Barr, my hypothesis is that trump brought him in to clean up the internal threats. I believe trump lost critical time on this by leaving Sessions in place as AG. that was a poor appointment from the very beginning and may come back to bite him.

an AWB is unlikely to get through both chambers of congress and Trump will not sign it. he has nothing to gain by this. the lefties will still hate him. the moderates will not be won over by an AWB.

the D's are in a period of transition from implosion to fragmentation. five years from now the D party is going to look very different. in the meantime they are not a viable party in current form. while we can enjoy this process and the free entertainment it generates, what I worry about are the internal actors who will try to sabotage trumps re-election in 2020. come mid 2020 we are going to see various "whistleblowers" within .gov incentivized by the establishment to leak and ruin his presidency. it's not hard to take a scandal and pin it on the president. i would not worry about either the R's or the D's right now. both are weak. Trumps greatest threat are the swamp creatures, which happen to be the primary threat to our country as a whole.

while I'm not a big fan of AG Barr, my hypothesis is that trump brought him in to clean up the internal threats. I believe trump lost critical time on this by leaving Sessions in place as AG. that was a poor appointment from the very beginning and may come back to bite him.

The problem with Republicans is they have a tendency to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
The Dems are a disorganized freaking mess right now.
There may never be a better opportunity to crush the living crap out of them.
The Republicans with however do what they always do and piss it away.

Back
Top Bottom