Gun Control Starts at the local/state level...

“Whether it’s on guns or immigration or tax reform, clearly Washington is broken,” Mr. Feinblatt said. “You have to influence the federal government at the state.”

or, there is a 2nd Amendment to the Constitution that, surprisingly, Congress respects. Why do people think that government is broken when it doesn't "do something".

"Government is best that governs no at all" - Thoreau

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/03/u...t&region=Footer&module=TopNews&pgtype=article

WASHINGTON — The gun control movement, blocked in Congress and facing mounting losses in federal elections, is tweaking its name, refining its goals and using the same-sex marriage movement as a model to take the fight to voters on the state level.
Great strategy. Proponents of marriage equality have more in common with us than they do with gun controllers. It's about being free to exercise rights, not suppress them.

I am tired of hearing that Congress is broken because they don't act the way someone wants. It is their prerogative to write and pass bills, or don't. This attitude comes from the president stomping his feet and saying if you don't want me taking executive action, pass a bill. I'd say it is a shame the president doesn't understand how our government works, but I know better.

The gun control movement, blocked in Congress and facing mounting losses in federal elections, is tweaking its name, refining its goals....

Nothing says momentum and strong support like tweaking your name. More cowbell, I say MORE COWBEll.

I am tired of hearing that Congress is broken because they don't act the way someone wants. It is their prerogative to write and pass bills, or don't. This attitude comes from the president stomping his feet and saying if you don't want me taking executive action, pass a bill. I'd say it is a shame the president doesn't understand how our government works, but I know better.

Agreed. The 'we need to do something' crowd or congress has not addressed global warming, etc. is moronic. Maybe they don't want to pass something and are fine with the existing laws.

If they have grassroots support for gun control, they can go through the process of changing the Second Amendment. Until then, the ballot initiatives, if they pass, should be challenged in court.

Wow, what a great and balanced factual article. Extensive quotes from every piddly anti-gun group in the country, balanced by 1.5 sentences from the NRA.
The gun control movement, blocked in Congress and facing mounting losses in federal elections, is tweaking its name, refining its goals....
Nothing says momentum and strong support like tweaking your name. More cowbell, I say MORE COWBEll.
Name changes worked so well for Sarah Brady & Handgun Control, Inc. If anything, diluting their message by changing "control" to "safety" just drives the passionate core to leave the (well-funded, sellout) mainstream groups.

Back
Top Bottom