• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Control push coming to VT Senate

Common sense is rarely that when it comes to controls on guns. What makes me the saddest in all of this is Vermont has never made gun issues highly political. I duck hunt with one of the most liberal judges in the state, we agree on nothing yet we find common ground on 2A. I guess we need to see what comes out tomorrow. Compromise is a slippery slope, even if it is "common sense".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta love how the anti's bring up Sandy Hook when pushing background checks. Tough to background check a person stealing the gun.

Gotta love how the anti's bring up Sandy Hook when pushing background checks. Tough to background check a person stealing the gun.

Well, if we have to not allow some people to allow guns because they live in homes with mentally ill people, isn't that a small price to pay?

Answer: no, its not.

Why do states like NH and Vt change? The Senate President Campbell pushing it is from NY, the Majority leader is from VT but spent time in RI and CA and it a college prof, the ultimate bubble life and the assistant leader Ayer's is from Quincy MA. Never underestimate the ability of NY, MA and CA to infect other states. Even though I grew up in MA, I look at anyone born here with suspicion. I always assume they are a moron like 65% in MA until proven otherwise.

The rural senators will really oppose this. Even if they had inclinations to support checks, there are few FFL's in rural areas so their constituents would really be burdened by long road trips to sell or buy property. Vt isn't like MA or NH either, there is Rt 89 and Rt 91 and if you get off those highways, it take forever to drive through those mountains.

I hope the vermont gun owners jump all over this and let their reps know this is an ill advised path to follow

Why does this not surprise me coming from a state full of New Yorkers?

We love the place soooo much lets move there AND CHANGE IT!!

****ing idiots!

Good luck guys!!

I hope the vermont gun owners jump all over this and let their reps know this is an ill advised path to follow
There's already a LOT of activity on the Vermont 2A facebook sites. I expect that we will be quite vocal about it. My concern is that sometimes no matter how loud you scream, stupidity prevails.

The bill has been officially introduced into the Senate:
http://legislature.vermont.gov/assets/Documents/2016/Docs/BILLS/S-0031/S-0031%20As%20Introduced.pdf

It has 3 items:

First is to make it illegal for violent felons to possess a gun (make something illegal more illegaler?), second is to require all transfers to be through an FFL except for immediate family (the heart of the nonsense), and third is to require mental health status to be reported to NICS (violation of HIPPA confidentiality).

Last edited:
Yup, Vermont is consistently ranked as one of the safest yet they want to mess with a good thing. The anti-gun fanatics will never be satisfied until they have full citizen disarmament.

It's funny how it is called "common sense" when, by all of the numbers, "common sense" would tell you VT doesn't have a problem.

EVERYONE has to deal with this nonsense, and forever, unfortunately. They will never stop until all the guns are gone out othe hands of "regular folks".

Eventually they will win unless a lot of people start shooting them whenever they open their yaps.

If they push for say a complete ban on semi auto rifles but only come away with a ban on pink leopard print magazines, it's still a victory for them. They will always be back next month for more.

I propose it become a Capitol offense for any politician who says the words "common sense" or "conversation"

"It’s been more than two years since the mass shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut."
Yet every article about gun legislation still starts with a reference to Sandy Hook.

And what gun law would stop a stolen gun like Sandy Hook. The places where they've pushed background checks like WA state, etc. they invoke Sandy Hook, Aurora CO theater shooting, Giffords shooting, etc. And Sandy Hook was stolen guns, Aurora, Giffords, DC Navy Yard, etc. were people who bought from a dealer and passed a background check.

They don't have facts on their side so they lie or make it up.

My dad had always said he would move to VT if the liberals moved out, that was 30 years ago.... See whats going on now is the liberals in VT cant be out done by other liberal states.

The media brings it up in EVERY SINGLE STORY as well. While it was horrible what happened, it's gotten fairly old at this point[horse]

The donation is handled through paypal (or via credit card). If you want their paypal email address and all of the information they ask for, let me know and I can PM it to you.

Well it looks like VT politicians still have their heads screwed on straight, despite Bloomberg's minions.
By Bruce Parker / January 20, 2015
GUN CHECKS UNNECESSARY: Democratic state Sen. Dick Sears, D-Bennington, says criminal background checks for gun purchases are most likely unnecessary and unconstitutional in Vermont.
MONTPELIER, Vt. — An influential Democratic state senator says he’s unlikely to support a bill requiring background checks on gun purchases because the checks are unnecessary and unconstitutional in Vermont.
“I need to be convinced that Vermont needs a background check. I doubt it’s necessary,” state Sen. Dick Sears, D-Bennington, told Vermont Watchdog.
The statement echoes comments made by Gov. Peter Shumlin during the weekend.
“My view on gun laws is that Vermont has the guns laws right now that serve us well. I want to keep the ones we got in place, I don’t think we need new laws,” Shumlin told ABC Local 22 at the Yankee Sportsman’s Classic in Essex Junction.
While Vermont has among the highest gun ownership per capita, recent FBI crime statistics show the state is the safest in the nation. In 2013, the Green Mountain State had 115 violent crimes per 100,000 residents, well below the national average of 368 violent crimes for every 100,000 people.
Sears, who is chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said background checks don’t pass the common sense test.
- See more at: http://www.gunownersofvermont.org/d...-unnecessary-in-vermont/#sthash.xORqulKq.dpuf
http://www.gunownersofvermont.org/d...gun-background-checks-unnecessary-in-vermont/

Back
Top Bottom