• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Control Policy by Archie Bunker

And he obviously never missed a meal.

rob_reiner_1920616.jpg

That's great, I loved watching that show as a kid. Meathead was a liberal dbag, the actor that played him, Rob Reiner, didn't really have to act, he's a liberal d-bag in real life.

He's an old style liberal, he was friends with charlton heston. The liberals pre 2000 were liberals et al but they were not the obnoxious pricks like today. I'd have a drink with Rob reiner in a second before i'd say a word to george clooney, matt damon, etc.

Carroll O'Conner was a very complex person. He played Archie in a way to bring both comedy and a little nudge to the center on what was basically a left-wing writing team and production company. I will always remember his love and sense of loss over the death of his adopted son. He pushed to make drug dealers accomplices in murder of drug deaths; hardly a liberal idea. He was also a Sig Ep, which makes him a brother. HFF

Always loved Archie and found it ironic that he was played by Carroll O'Conner, who was politically far left of center.

He's an old style liberal, he was friends with charlton heston. The liberals pre 2000 were liberals et al but they were not the obnoxious pricks like today. I'd have a drink with Rob reiner in a second before i'd say a word to george clooney, matt damon, etc.

I think that one needs to go further back than 2000 to support the above theory. The Clintons, Al Gore, Mike Dukakis, Ted Kennedy, etc. were certainly not 'old style" liberals.

I met Carroll O'Connor back in '86 when I drove a limo for the biggest company in Boston (had all the contracts, sports, entertainment, rock stars etc etc)....Drove him from Warwick Airport to Ritz Carlton Boston. He sat in the front per his request ("Meh. I'll ride up with you if that's OK" as I'd started to open the back door for him, and needless to say I was more than thrilled to say "Sure!".) But I was literally stunned at how "different" he was than what I'd expected. Literally NOTHING like the "Archie" I was expecting. I'd figured he be the blustering, veins popping in the neck whackjob you saw on those Saturday nights in the 70s, but he was complete and total opposite...He was mellow, humble, polite. A gentleman, and a great guy to just have a "normal" chat with....Talked Sox...it was August 86 and he was impressed with a young Clemens, talked about him starting the All Star Game a few weeks prior, pitching three perfect innings etc..he also knew Don Baylor personally from somewhere and mentioned meeting Billy Martin once and how Billy was "literally a stick of dynamite awaiting ignition"....Asked where was the best Italian food, listened to my recommendation for a few small North End places my wife's family was related to ....All in all a great ride, memorable for how completely cool and non-condescending he was.

* Another Archie classic: "Meet the Meathead" (with Archie's great soapbox speech at the end):

Last edited by a moderator:
He also produced and starred in "heat of the night". Which was pretty good....playing the complete opposite of archy. Carol was a great actor. And also as someone else said very complex politically.

- - - Updated - - -

I met Carroll O'Connor back in '86 when I drove a limo for the biggest company in Boston (had all the contracts, sports, entertainment, rock stars etc etc)....Drove him from Warwick Airport to Ritz Carlton Boston. He sat in the front per his request ("Meh. I'll ride up with you if that's OK" as I'd started to open the back door for him, and needless to say I was more than thrilled to say "Sure!".) But I was literally stunned at how "different" he was than what I'd expected. Literally NOTHING like the "Archie" I was expecting. I'd figured he be the blustering, veins popping in the neck whackjob you saw on those Saturday nights in the 70s, but he was complete and total opposite...He was mellow, humble, polite. A gentleman, and a great guy to just have a "normal" chat with....Talked Sox...it was August 86 and he was impressed with a young Clemens, talked about him starting the All Star Game a few weeks prior, pitching three perfect innings etc..he also knew Don Baylor personally from somewhere and mentioned meeting Billy Martin once and how Billy was "literally a stick of dynamite awaiting ignition"....Asked where was the best Italian food, listened to my recommendation for a few small North End places my wife's family was related to ....All in all a great ride, memorable for how completely cool and non-condescending he was.

* Another Archie classic: "Meet the Meathead" (with Archie's great soapbox speech at the end):
this is pure gold. I was always a fan of his. Good memory for life here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom