• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun confiscation on Long Island

You get a call Monday morning telling you someone will be by to confiscate your guns. That gives you 24 hours. NH is a short 5-6 hours away depending on where you live in LI.

I would have told them "I'm terribly sorry but I'm in the process of moving and all of my firearms are at a friends property in NH." Get off the phone, throw everything you want to keep in the car, and start calling storage facilities.. You kids already suspended for 2 days. Vacation time. *shrug*

Since this story references a pistol permit, I'll assume that at least some of these firearms are handguns. New York state requires that you apply to have your permit amended to de-list any handgun you dispose of. The form requires that you state who the new owner is. Some counties require a document to substantiate the transfer such as a bill of sale. Disposing of a handgun without amending your permit is illegal. Don't know how bad it is and quite frankly this story doesn't sound legit enough for me to overcome my laziness and look it up.

Since this story references a pistol permit, I'll assume that at least some of these firearms are handguns. New York state requires that you apply to have your permit amended to de-list any handgun you dispose of. The form requires that you state who the new owner is. Some counties require a document to substantiate the transfer such as a bill of sale. Disposing of a handgun without amending your permit is illegal. Don't know how bad it is and quite frankly this story doesn't sound legit enough for me to overcome my laziness and look it up.

Moving a pistol out of NY to another location is not "disposing" and does not require notification. You still own it, but NY loses all jurisdiction once it crosses the state line. Moving them to NH or VT immediately would have been the smart move.

He's already spent way more money than a storage space would have cost for years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom