Gun Confiscation Coming in Virginia

Today in Richmond (not my photo) šŸ¤£

86796296_2809998712401709_5187593261115506688_n.jpg

very glad to hear Lord Northamā€™s AWB is on hold. hopefully it goes in recycling bin where belongs.

@minininjer or others, could you summarize what legislation remains in play?

Once I figure that out... I'll make a post.

As I mentioned in my other post, the website is shit and it's so hard to keep track of everything. There definitely have been other antigun bills that passed but they aren't as detrimental as the AWB (HB 961) so that was the main focus of everyone (not to say the others aren't bad but you get my drift). There was one that will take away online/video courses from NRA / state certified instructors. So you'll have to do in person training in order to get your CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit). Not sure when that goes into effect. I think another is the one handgun a month purchase is back... but CHP holders are exempt.

No, I'm not. I'm just looking it up as I go but it's a good idea to keep a spreadsheet or something for my own reference. I don't understand how anyone could keep track of all this crap without the internet. Their (gov) websites are not really user friendly at all and I am no computer n00b.

Let me take a stab at the current status. These are the VA bills that are designated "pending" as of today. All others have either been voted down or left in committee:

HB 2 requires background checks for all transfers, with enough exceptions (including gun shows) that I can't see why it even matters. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/21/2020
HB 9 requires that lost or stolen firearms be reported. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 421 gives localities the authority to go above and beyond state law to limit possession, carrying, etc. of firearms. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 674 is the "red flag law." Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 1288 basically prohibits people convicted of domestic crimes or "hate crimes" (my words) from possessing firearms. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 2/12/2020

This is based on a VERY QUICK search of the VA Legislature website, which as minininjer said, is pathetic. I welcome corrections and additions. Just trying to get something out there for scrutiny.

But all you VA residents should all be glad to know that one of the pending bills being debated by our legislature, at our expense, is to repeal the current ban on spitting in public. Yay.

I wouldn't say it's a lost cause talking to someone who is extremely anti but it's a lot more difficult, to say the least. I did talk to my Senator (who is super Democrat) and I can at least just say I tried my best there.

I suggest maybe you follow up with a strongly worded "Thank you for meeting me and then promptly ignoring me" card. These folks should not be allowed an unchallenged self-image as heroes of the people.

šŸÆ

Let me go way out on a limb and suggest ALL of them were afraid of losing their position, that's why they voted that way.

They should be.
Not necessarily the same as whats going on in VA, but the end result is there-
For the t.l.d.r.- everyone in a political position that supported that tax increase, was systematically voted out.

I was surprised to see that there were 4 Senators who voted with Republicans... I thought it was 2, last I heard anyway.

They were moderate Democrats. I just want to say that... you (I, we) may be better off trying to talk sense / convince those who are on the fence on topics dear to our hearts. I wouldn't say it's a lost cause talking to someone who is extremely anti but it's a lot more difficult, to say the least. I did talk to my Senator (who is super Democrat) and I can at least just say I tried my best there. In this case of the AWB, we were able to (hopefully?) sway the moderates into siding with us.

This tactic, I think, is good for people like your anti-gun friends, family, or coworkers (though, I'm not sure I would want to involve coworkers but to each their own on that situation). The most impact you're going to have is to invite someone out to the range for a day. Find someone who is half willing to listen to you and show them the way. They might just be like "hey, that wasn't that bad after all."
While I would agree, to do that is a full time job. You're spending your time trying desperately to get people to overcome their biases to even get to a point of rational discussions about it. I hate to admit it but I have been guilty this past year of having been fairly apathetic with all the bullshit we face in MA. It's not easy being 100% invested all the time.
Luckily for me my old college club is having it's revival with a whole new crop of students into the gun scene and it's rejuvenating.

While I would agree, to do that is a full time job. You're spending your time trying desperately to get people to overcome their biases to even get to a point of rational discussions about it. I hate to admit it but I have been guilty this past year of having been fairly apathetic with all the bullshit we face in MA. It's not easy being 100% invested all the time.
Luckily for me my old college club is having it's revival with a whole new crop of students into the gun scene and it's rejuvenating.

While youā€™re at least somewhat right... I just mean... people who are either on the fence or are ignorant about it and donā€™t have a say either way. You donā€™t need to spend 100% of your free time. Any time is better than no time.

I didnā€™t grow up anti or pro. I wasnā€™t specifically told guns are bad or guns are good. I saw what I saw on TV. I started playing video games at a very young age. When I was old enough to have money to buy my own games (high school), I was often playing violent, shooting games. I had no opinions at all on real guns. I didnā€™t even know really that I could own a gun. Being young (ignorant?) may have contributed. Years ago, I had the opportunity to shoot, I said yes. I shot and said ā€œhey, that was fun! Can I do it again?ā€ And here I am.

While youā€™re at least somewhat right... I just mean... people who are either on the fence or are ignorant about it and donā€™t have a say either way. You donā€™t need to spend 100% of your free time. Any time is better than no time.

I didnā€™t grow up anti or pro. I wasnā€™t specifically told guns are bad or guns are good. I saw what I saw on TV. I started playing video games at a very young age. When I was old enough to have money to buy my own games (high school), I was often playing violent, shooting games. I had no opinions at all on real guns. I didnā€™t even know really that I could own a gun. Being young (ignorant?) may have contributed. Years ago, I had the opportunity to shoot, I said yes. I shot and said ā€œhey, that was fun! Can I do it again?ā€ And here I am.
Literally, same.

This will come back in a year or unfortunately when they cause something tragic happens so they can get strong support of emotional people.

FIFY
I hate thinking with such a thick layer of tinfoil on, but there is probably an unstable person online getting groomed to die to push their cause.

Virginia lawmaker: Man with assault rifle tried to coerce me at my home | WTOP
Nope.
Del. Mark Levine, D-Alexandria, said an armed man stood outside his kitchen window in an effort to coerce him to change his vote.

ā€œOn Saturday, a man with a large assault weapon with a large extended magazine came to my home. He stood outside my kitchen window for a couple of hours or so,ā€ Levine said Monday on the Virginia House floor.
"Large assault weapon" and "large extended magazine" so there was compound largeness.
Alexandria police Lt. Courtney Ballentine confirmed that officers responded to Levineā€™s home Saturday and said the unnamed man was not trespassing on Levineā€™s property.

Let me take a stab at the current status. These are the VA bills that are designated "pending" as of today. All others have either been voted down or left in committee:

HB 2 requires background checks for all transfers, with enough exceptions (including gun shows) that I can't see why it even matters. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/21/2020
HB 9 requires that lost or stolen firearms be reported. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 421 gives localities the authority to go above and beyond state law to limit possession, carrying, etc. of firearms. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 674 is the "red flag law." Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 1288 basically prohibits people convicted of domestic crimes or "hate crimes" (my words) from possessing firearms. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 2/12/2020

This is based on a VERY QUICK search of the VA Legislature website, which as minininjer said, is pathetic. I welcome corrections and additions. Just trying to get something out there for scrutiny.

But all you VA residents should all be glad to know that one of the pending bills being debated by our legislature, at our expense, is to repeal the current ban on spitting in public. Yay.

Here is an update to the current status of VA proposed anti laws. I didn't include Senate bills in the previous version. These statuses are current as of today but I cannot say that I've caught every single bill in process that might affect the 2A (VA Legislature site still sucks).

HB 2 requires background checks for all transfers, with enough exceptions (including gun shows) that I can't see why it even matters. Passed House, Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 9 requires that lost or stolen firearms be reported. Passed House. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 421 gives localities the authority to go above and beyond state law to limit possession, carrying, etc. of firearms. Passed House. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 674 is the "red flag law." Passed House. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 1288 basically prohibits people convicted of domestic crimes or "hate crimes" (my words) from possessing firearms. Passed House, Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 2/12/2020

SB 14 Prohibits bump stocks and the like. Passed Senate. Referred to House Committee on Public Safety 2/18/2020
SB 35 gives localities authority to limit possession, carrying etc. Pretty much the same as HB 421. Passed Senate on 1/16/2020
SB 64 Prohibits brandishing a firearm or anything the looks like one while assembled with one or more other people with the intent of intimidation. Passed Senate; referred to House Committee for Courts of Justice on 2/12/2020
SB 69 One handgun purchase per month. Exceptions include CCW permit holders. Passed Senate; 2nd House reading was today 2/18/2020
SB 70 requires background checks for all transfers, including gun shows. Passed Senate; referred to House Committee on Public Safety 2/13/2020
SB 240 Red Flag law. Passed Senate. Referred to House Committee on Public Safety 2/13/2020

Last edited:
Virginia lawmaker: Man with assault rifle tried to coerce me at my home | WTOP
Nope.

"Large assault weapon" and "large extended magazine" so there was compound largeness.

This really isn't all that complicated.
Follow the constitution and don't try and make criminals out of people that have never done a wrong thing in their lives.
It really upsets them to be attacked for no other reason than they aren't voting for you.
And that's what it boils down to , punishment for a differing point of view.

I havenā€™t been following this mess super close but a thought did pop into my head.
Is this the first Confederate state where an attempt has been made to disarm it?
Youā€˜d figure they would have learned their lesson by now?

I havenā€™t been following this mess super close but a thought did pop into my head.
Is this the first Confederate state where an attempt has been made to disarm it?
Youā€˜d figure they would have learned their lesson by now?
Perhaps, but they did vote to be disarmed.

Everything negative that has happened in Va can be unwound.....its just going to take a couple years and effort from people to get dems tossed out of office in next two election cycles

Va has gone thru some of this in past......reciprocity laws, 1 gun a month yada yada yada......
Probably never going to happen. Once signed, these new laws are here to stay. Once municipalities, which primarily are Democratically controlled, take advantage of HB421, you can forget getting rid of the dozens of local firearm bans that will have been enacted. With regard to population, much of Virginia is really just a suburb of extremely-Democratic DC. Plus there is the double-whammy of Democrats being ascendant nationally as support for the RKBA is dying out. In a few years, Virginia will be like any other ban state.

http://archive.is/dIBOd
The House has approved the governorā€™s seven other gun-control bills, which would:
ā—Enact universal background checks on private gun sales.
ā—Require an owner to report the loss or theft of a firearm within 24 hours.
ā—Give local governments the authority to ban weapons from public buildings and at certain events.
ā—Create a ā€œred flagā€ law, or extreme risk protective order, under which authorities can temporarily seize firearms from someone deemed a threat to himself or others.
ā—Limit handgun purchases to one per month, a policy that was in effect in Virginia until 2012.
ā—Tighten the law prohibiting access to firearms for someone subject to a protective order.
ā—Make it a felony to ā€œrecklesslyā€ leave a firearm within reach of anyone 18 or younger, up from the current age of 14, a measure known as ā€œchild access prevention.ā€
The Senate has passed five of the governorā€™s bills. Majority Leader Richard L. Saslaw (D-Fairfax) withdrew his own assault weapons bill, which had caused an uproar because it would have banned possession, not just sales. The chamberā€™s bill on lost or stolen firearms was rejected in a floor vote, with Petersen and Sen. Lynwood W. Lewis Jr. (D-Accomack) voting against it. Its version of the child-access-prevention bill died in committee, with Petersen and Deeds joining Republicans in opposition.

How many municipalites would actually take action given the fact that almost every county except for alexandria/arlington are sanctuaries?
Plenty, and the sanctuary resolutions are meaningless. The express sentiment--nothing else.
Va has overturned dumb donk gun laws in past
They have overturned a couple dumb laws. I doubt that will happen again in the current political climate.
There's no reason to believe it wont happen again IF PEOPLE REMAIN ENGUAGED
Other people were "ENGUAGED" enough to vote for firearm prohibitionists in Virginia.
I've got about zero tolerance for the defeatist attitude/negative nelly nonsense
Feel-good mental gymnastics are for the weak-minded--those who cannot face reality.
If you're not part of the solution....you're the problem
Self-delusion is not the path to victory.

Hey negative nelly

Its pretty clear you havent been following along the entire time.....
False. I just don't supplant logic with emotion when discussing firearm laws.
The elections in Va were a function of donk jerrymandering and a corrupt court assigning the redistricting to a leftist activist

The map below shows that county gov and the people they represent is fundamentally against the actions of a slim majority in the NH House of Delagates that are a product of a rigged election.

Virginia-2A_Second-Amendment_Sanctuary-VCDLMap_2-6-2020.jpeg
That is a map of Virginia, not New Hampshire. And it's the sanctuary resolution map, not the vote map. Nice sentiment on the part of involved RKBA-supporting Virginians but ultimately meaningless.
And the same shit is coming to NH if you dont quit complaining and get to work fighting bad legislation and volunteering to help elect good reps/sens her in NH.
Actually, my feelings and complaints have absolutely no bearing on what bills Democrats choose to take up in Concord, New Hampshire. Firearm prohibitionists float ridiculous bills, we oppose them--often to no avail, and thankfully Governor Sununu prevents them from becoming law. That is how it works for now. It will change once we have a Democratic governor.
So, you have a choice.....you can be part of the solution or you can continue complaining.
That is a false choice.
As you can see from photos in VCDL link....they're enguaged and part of the solution

Sure. They're "enguaged." It was great that a few thousand committed people showed up for the rally in Virginia, but the state has a population of 8.5 million, 5.7 million of whom are registered voters, a majority of whom elected members of a party wholly committed to firearm prohibition as their political majority.
Some of you people just cant control your negativity and tendency to tear down positive movements
Tearing down and acknowledging reality are two different things.

Arguments from emotion are useless, so I'm going to categorize your emotionally-fraught blathering as irrelevant and leave the non-discussion there.

Back
Top Bottom