Gun Club without commitment

My club requires new members to help with the spring or fall cleanups, come to 1 meeting, and get a sponsor. That’s it.
Are other clubs requiring much more than that?? I get that there’s people who don’t shoot much but JFC I think someone can manage going to 1 meeting and 1 cleanup.
You would think that a meeting or helping at one cleanup day would not be a big deal. At my club people show up at cleanup day to shoot, realize the range is closed and drive away. But yes other clubs require 4hrs plus of time helping out to become a member...and attend a few meetings the first year.

Easy to make general statements. Not everyone spends countless hours at the range.I know/see plenty of people who go to the range shoot off a box and leave. They probably don't even shoot for a total of 4 hours a year. That being said i think an understanding upfront is fair. A lesser fee for those who help and higher fees for those who don't. I can't imagine people having an issue with that.
It's not a general statement. If you can spend 30minutes at a club shooting then you can spend 30 minutes at a club helping out. Doesn't always have to be during an organized event, work party or whatever.

It's not a general statement. If you can spend 30minutes at a club shooting then you can spend 30 minutes at a club helping out. Doesn't always have to be during an organized event, work party or whatever.
True but bottom line is most don't want to join a club they just want a place to shoot. Just as easy to pay someone to do it then gather enough people to do it. Just charge more for membership. Not trying to argue just throwing it out there.

I am a member at two clubs. One I frequent, and one I seldom. I put in a decent amount of work at the club where I am a regular, but not at the club where I haven't shown up for anything other than a "open to non-members" match in a few years. I get no direct benefit, but have been a member for decades and want to support the club in a small way by maintaining my membership.
I love that turn of phrase!

1652667244290.png

True but bottom line is most don't want to join a club they just want a place to shoot. Just as easy to pay someone to do it then gather enough people to do it. Just charge more for membership. Not trying to argue just throwing it out there.
This is why you have a pay-as-you-go place, like MFS.

Clubs are not usually amenable to change; it's the nature of government by committee. Also, the membership that joined the Club under a given set of rules is likely to bridle if newbies get a "better" deal. At my Club, when the local PD uses the range, it p!sses off people (many that don't even use the range), as non-members, that did not pay dues, are using the Members' facilities.

I was speaking with someone at Minuteman, which has a high-dues/no work membership model - the guy said that they tried a work party once, but the people that showed up did not know which end of a hammer to hold. That's why they have paid staff, where most others work on the volunteer system

I understand where you're coming from, but tradition is a strong force. Your choice will likely come down to joining a Club, and sucking up the work requirements, or paying more to rent a lane.

2000 members at Pelham. I volunteer hundreds of hours annually. I enjoy it for the most part. A big club is very challenging to keep running. Not mandatory but we encourage volunteer work and if you volunteer 8 hours you then get $40 off your annual membership permanently. Out of 2000 members i see maybe 50 who consistently volunteer , and probably 150 who i see "one and done " type volunteer work. Some members want to get involved, some do not. Im fine with either .

Why do so many ranges/clubs require a sponsor? Ive been interested in a few ranges near me and they usually need one. If you are a new shooter, you may not know anyone there and thus cant join or contribute.

Why do so many ranges/clubs require a sponsor? Ive been interested in a few ranges near me and they usually need one. If you are a new shooter, you may not know anyone there and thus cant join or contribute.
Because of the threat of an anti 2a (also known as a "plant") individual gaining access and causing potential problems within the club. An established sponsor in good standing pretty much guarantees the incoming new member shares the same positive 2A culture.

Last edited:
Because of the threat of an anti 2a (also known as a "plant") individual gaining access and causing potential problems within the club. An established sponsor in good standing pretty much guarantees the incoming new member shares the same positive 2A culture.
This. And it helps mitigate unsafe ass hats and yahoos from joining.

My club requires new members to help with the spring or fall cleanups, come to 1 meeting, and get a sponsor. That’s it.
Are other clubs requiring much more than that?? I get that there’s people who don’t shoot much but JFC I think someone can manage going to 1 meeting and 1 cleanup.
that's reasonable. My original post wasn't to assume I couldn't ever help out, it was that because of my fluctuating work schedule, I may not be able to commit to specific days/times.
If meetings are held only on Tuesdays for example, I'll never make it, or if cleanups are on Saturdays, I'm unavailable due to on call schedules. I'm more that willing to help out when I can.

If no one there knows you, then you are definition an unknown quantity.

Clubs do not want people to be able to just come in off the streets and say "Hey, I want to shoot here". Sponsorship is certainly not foolproof, and most clubs also have other small requirements to try and ensure that they are a quality candidate. (GOAL, NRA, NFA, SAF, JFPFO, GOA etc. membership)

Many clubs including the two that I belong to hold events that are open to the public where one can observe or participate and "get to know people" who would then feel comfortable in sponsoring you. (PM me here if you would like)

Because of my work schedule, I don't have time to commit to any volunteer activities or club meetings, etc.
Does anyone know of any indoor or outdoor clubs or ranges in or near central MA to shoot my rifles.
Independent Sportsman Club in Foxboro is one you can just join (after a meeting) and there are no commitments.

I believe “just for pistol calibers” is a correct statement. But that doesn’t mean limited to handguns, i.e., a rifle that shoots the common pistol calibers is perfectly fine, and I believe the range rules articulate a specific list of allowable calibers permitted to be shot in a rifle.

Because of my work schedule, I don't have time to commit to any volunteer activities or club meetings, etc.
Does anyone know of any indoor or outdoor clubs or ranges in or near central MA to shoot my rifles.
I’m a member of two gun clubs. Once you have joined, there is no requirement to do any volunteer work.

I isn't that I don't WANT to be involved, it's just that my work on-call schedule prevents me from doing so, at least for now.
edit- Looks like I 'necro posted' a bit. Let me know if you are still looking for a club. [laugh]

I don't intend for this to come across rudely (it might, LOL) but your schedule doesn't have to be an excuse for every club. Some have an honor system for 8 hours of volunteer time which could be fulfilled by helping keep the range tidy, lopping branches or cutting weeds, etc. and all on your own time.

I'll PM a couple clubs- one I know has a no volunteer hours dues level and I think the other does. People showing up, trashing the range, then leaving it for others to deal with is becoming a big problem at more and more clubs. If you can't do the full volunteer thing, simply taking one or two minutes every trip to help pick up behind those douchebags actually goes a long way for the very small number of club volunteers who end up getting overwhelmed and later bitched at over the condition of the club.

I believe “just for pistol calibers” is a correct statement. But that doesn’t mean limited to handguns, i.e., a rifle that shoots the common pistol calibers is perfectly fine, and I believe the range rules articulate a specific list of allowable calibers permitted to be shot in a rifle.
The characterization is misleading. But to be specific rifles are limited to .22 caliber and rifles chambered in pistol calibers.

The characterization is misleading. But to be specific rifles are limited to .22 caliber and rifles chambered in pistol calibers.
Again, rifles are limited to a specific list of calibers. Verbatim copy of relevant section from the range rules:

"1. Rifles are limited to .22 rimfire; including .22 Winchester Magnum and “.22 Mini- Mag” Cartridge and the
following handgun cartridges:
"a. .32 S&W Long
"b. .32 H&R Magnum
"c. .38 Special
"d. .357 Magnum
"e. 9mm
"f. .44 Special
"g. .44 Magnum
"h. .45 Long Colt
"i. .45 ACP
"2. All rifles will be shot from the 50 foot firing line with targets fully extended to the backstop."

Back
Top Bottom