• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

gun club recommendations?

Hello all. Finally getting around to becoming more active in this hobby. I've been lurking on the forum for years, think I posted a couple of things awhile back, but it has been awhile. Just got a new HG and some ammo, and I am looking to join a range, take some more courses and get some practice target shooting. I am checking out Waylan Rod and Gun Club. Any other recommendations in terms of good communities, reasonable fees and proximity to the Newton-Needham area? I'm really looking forward to meeting some fellow enthusiasts. Most of the people I run into seem to be more or less anti-gun ... well, not "less" at all actually.

Thanks!

Hopkinton Sportsmens (www.hsasports.com) - self service (you get a key to the indoor range), great attitude on the part of the club, 100/200 yard ourdoor ranges; 2 skeet ranges; trap range; and a metric s-load of pistol ranges (some of which have steel plate racks set up for your amusement).

Location about 3 miles south of the MA pike/495 intersection (exit 21A off of 495).'

Another excellent club, a bit further away, is Harvard (near Rt 2 and 495).

lurking...for 5 1/2 years? thats got to be a record. they should make you an honorary green member for hanging in that long.

harvard is cool. a lot of people travel far and wide to shoot there.

lurking...for 5 1/2 years? thats got to be a record. they should make you an honorary green member for hanging in that long.

harvard is cool. a lot of people travel far and wide to shoot there.

Lol, yes I got somewhat... distracted by life you could say. I did get my LTC, but then the job got intense and had a couple of local moves, you know how it goes. I'm ready to get "back" into it now though.

Thanks for those recomendations, going to check them out. I have heard about Hopkinton, someone said they rented firearms there.

No firearm rentals at Hopkinton. We have trap/skeet/sporting clays open to the public.

If you are interested in joining:
1. Contact me and I'll give you a tour.
2. Do it quick. We are getting towards saturation and may soon limit memership.

Ahh, it was Hollistan - I guess Mass Firearms School - that rents. I got "Hollistan" and "Hopkinton" confused. Hopkinton sounds cool, and one of the closer ones - I may take you up on that offer ipscdrl, thanks!

Anyone know anything about the one in Hollistan?

Ahh, it was Hollistan - I guess Mass Firearms School - that rents. I got "Hollistan" and "Hopkinton" confused. Hopkinton sounds cool, and one of the closer ones - I may take you up on that offer ipscdrl, thanks!

You mean Holliston.

Mass Firearm School is a for-profit business. Wayland Rod & Gun Club and Hopinkton Sportsmen's Association are non-profit, membership clubs. Two very different models. The former is typically much more expensive than the later.

Weston Shooters Club in Weston, MA is also a for-profit business.

Think about what you want.

Wayland Rod & Gun Club is $320 the 1st year and $120 after that.

Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association is $230 the 1st year and $180 after that ($50 is added if you don't do work around the club).

Mass Firearms is $270 the 1st year and $199 after that.

With our membership you can bring someone for free...get free access to over 100k in firearms...a fully stocked store on site with some of the lowest prices you will find in Mass...and discounts off classes with a top notch air system for the two ranges on site.

Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association is $230 the 1st year and $180 after that ($50 is added if you don't do work around the clubE]

I'm not sure you worded that clearly. Hopkinton dues for regular membership is $180 per year. Members can REDUCE that by $10 per work hour for a maximum of $50. Simply attending a general membership meeting counts for 1 hour. We are a "club" not a range so we appreciate help as well as involvement by our members.
BTW juniors (under 20 years old) are $2 (not a typo) and Spouses are free.

Public ranges such as MFS serve a slightly different function. Many HSA members also frequent MFS. Potato potAtoes. [grin]

Last edited:
Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association is $230 the 1st year and $180 after that ($50 is added if you don't do work around the clubE]

I'm not sure you worded that correctly. Hopkinton dues for regular membership is $180 per year. Members can REDUCE that by $10 per work hour for a maximum of $50. Simply attending a general membership meeting counts for 1 hour. We are a "club" not a range so we appreciate help as well as involvement by our members.
BTW juniors (under 20 years old) are $2 (not a typo) and Spouses are free.

Public ranges such as MFS serve a slightly different function. Many HSA members also frequent MFS. Potato potAtoes. [grin]

Hopkinton requires a $100 application fee: http://hsasports.com/membership-2

That makes $280 for the first year.

Yes, that part you got correct, unless you help out and/or attend meetings. Then it is $230/$130.

Much like membership at MFS, very short money for all that you get.

MFS in Holliston (www.massfirearmsschool.com) is a business that sells memberships - sort of like a country club. No work parties, an on-site gun shop (a nice one at that) and rental guns. The indoor range is more modern than the one at Hopkinton. No outdoor ranges. Extensive hours, but you do not get a key to use the place on you own when it is not staffed. Unlike most public ranges, MFS offers memberships only to LTC holders, so you don't tend to get scared on the range like at some of the "rent a gun to anyone provided they are breathing" ranges.

Hopkinton is a non-profit gun club, facilities are not as sparkling new as MFS, and members are asked to put in some occasional time to help with the club (building/range maintenance, etc.). Outdoor pistol, rifle and shotgun ranges in addition to the indoor range.

MFS has an extensive and regular training program. Hopkinton runs occasional classes, but not on the scale of frequency and selection as those at MFS. Both do a decent job of it.

Both are great places, but are different "styles" of operation. Neither has any rule prohibiting you from joining both.

Last edited:
Nice, they both sound like great places to practice, and very different. I like aspects of both styles, the "business" model and the "club" model if you will. Love the rental armory at MFS, and the modern sounding set up. I do like clubs too though (was a member of one about a thousand years ago when I live in Albany, NY). Might end up joining more then one after all; or joining one and just frequenting one - guess it would be MFS, since you don't have to be a member to shoot there.

Just found out an old friend of mine is a member of Braintree, and it is not as far away from here as I though, so I'll be checking them out too. Actually, I didn't realize there were so many in a semi-reasonable driving distance (I am lazy, so I would love to have one within 15 minutes, but alas) of the Needham area.

I live in Brookline and after seeing other clubs I joined Braintree. The place is awesome. The biggest downside is that I just can't go whenever I feel like it. I must plan my visits around the traffic.
The only gripes I have with the club are the guest limitations and the fact that the only rifles you can shoot indoors are .22LR.
I have belonged to other clubs in the past but changed my priorities and commute.
The last club I belonged to was the Boston club and they allowed any pistol-caliber rifles indoors but their hours were limited, the facility was not up-to-date, and it was indoor-only.
List your priorities, do some research and pick what's best for you.
Good luck.

Honestly, best bet is hopkinton! Im a member, if your interested i can take you on a tour
we have pretty much everything you can ask for.........
Trap shooting, 2 skeet fields, outdoor sporting clays, pistol bays, with steel plate racks, steel trees, about 10-20 100 yard rifle bays, 2 200 yard rifle bays, 24 hour acces indoor pistol range, trout pond (STOCKED) and archery. Not to mention some of the friendliest people i have met!!
they are involbed in EVERYTHING!!!! All sorts of organized pistol leagues, high powerrifle matches and leagues, every wednesday night the guys have pistol night and get together after. LOTS and i mean lots of classes, Home defense clases, ltc classes, rifle clinincs, reloading clinics, trauma/first aid clinics. I could go on and on!!!
as mentioned MFS is a great store, but if you want to shoot rifles or shotguns, good luck, you cant there. And dont go on a Saturday or sunday, gets busy and you may have to wait. If you want to shoot metal or other fun stuff, you cant, only paper.

Back
Top Bottom