Gun Club closure megathread

ETA in some cases, quite literally, the bulk of the participating member base "actually likes it that way" and if so, so be it. People should vote with their time/dollars/energy
when picking a club. Sometimes it might require sacrifice, too. Like driving another 10-20 minutes to get there.

-Mike

Agreed, and why I think I'm done with my current club and looking for a new one.

Harvard is now moving to limited capacity on the ranges based on size/spacing, rather than "one member per range". Still no guests other than immediate household members, and no large events.
Wonder what the likelihood is of getting USPSA/IDPA matches back....Seems like it may be a long time.

Braintree:
Club Re-opening May 25, 2020

In accordance with the Governor’s recent re-opening phasing orders the club will re-open May 25, 2020 at noon with certain state mandated guidelines in effect.
While we recognize that shooting ranges are allowed to open in the first phase on May 18th it is necessary for the club to prepare the facility and put in place the required guidelines. Opening will therefore be May 25th.
In an effort to insure the safety, health and well-being of our members, and in an effort to limit potential exposure to Covid-19 the following will be strictly enforced.
  • NO GUESTS will be allowed until further notice. No use of the club for instructional purposes of students will be allowed.
  • Use of the club will be restricted to members only.
  • Badges must be worn and visible.
  • Safe distancing must be maintained and persons on the property may be limited.
  • No more than 10 persons at a time are allowed inside any building or indoor range. Social Distancing must be maintained.
  • No meetings will be held at the club through the summer.
  • The juniors and the JROTC will be suspended until further notice.
  • Members are required to use shooting positions as marked only.
  • Protective masks must be worn when inside any building at all times and outdoors when social distancing cannot be maintained. Persons that fail to adhere to any of these rules will be asked to leave the property. Members are not allowed to congregate in any building.
  • Range officers must be present for shooting to occur on the outdoor ranges and all club rules will be strictly enforced.
  • Hand sanitizer station will be provided for each building.
  • Cleaning will be conducted on a more regular basis to include the wiping with disinfectant of all hard surfaces in range and bathrooms. Disinfectant will be available for member’s use.
  • The gun cleaning area will be closed. No gun cleaning will be allowed on the premises.
  • No food or beverage consumption is allowed on the premises.
It is the Executive Board's goal to keep the club open and operational for use by our members in the days to come. Maintaining a safe environment is paramount. If, however, these rules are not followed, we will be forced to close.
Note** New baffles are currently being installed on the Rifle Range and although we expect the Rifle range to be open by May 25, it may not be completed and therefore the Rifle Range may not be open at that time.
Updated information will be posted on our web site.

Braintree:
Club Re-opening May 25, 2020

In accordance with the Governor’s recent re-opening phasing orders the club will re-open May 25, 2020 at noon with certain state mandated guidelines in effect.
While we recognize that shooting ranges are allowed to open in the first phase on May 18th it is necessary for the club to prepare the facility and put in place the required guidelines. Opening will therefore be May 25th.
In an effort to insure the safety, health and well-being of our members, and in an effort to limit potential exposure to Covid-19 the following will be strictly enforced.
  • NO GUESTS will be allowed until further notice. No use of the club for instructional purposes of students will be allowed.
  • Use of the club will be restricted to members only.
  • Badges must be worn and visible.
  • Safe distancing must be maintained and persons on the property may be limited.
  • No more than 10 persons at a time are allowed inside any building or indoor range. Social Distancing must be maintained.
  • No meetings will be held at the club through the summer.
  • The juniors and the JROTC will be suspended until further notice.
  • Members are required to use shooting positions as marked only.
  • Protective masks must be worn when inside any building at all times and outdoors when social distancing cannot be maintained. Persons that fail to adhere to any of these rules will be asked to leave the property. Members are not allowed to congregate in any building.
  • Range officers must be present for shooting to occur on the outdoor ranges and all club rules will be strictly enforced.
  • Hand sanitizer station will be provided for each building.
  • Cleaning will be conducted on a more regular basis to include the wiping with disinfectant of all hard surfaces in range and bathrooms. Disinfectant will be available for member’s use.
  • The gun cleaning area will be closed. No gun cleaning will be allowed on the premises.
  • No food or beverage consumption is allowed on the premises.
It is the Executive Board's goal to keep the club open and operational for use by our members in the days to come. Maintaining a safe environment is paramount. If, however, these rules are not followed, we will be forced to close.
Note** New baffles are currently being installed on the Rifle Range and although we expect the Rifle range to be open by May 25, it may not be completed and therefore the Rifle Range may not be open at that time.
Updated information will be posted on our web site.
Wonder if they fixed/replaced the steel plates at the pistol range. last time i was there (1 week before close) they were all taken down

Anybody see the new Harvard rules for range opening ? They are nothing short of completely retarded. Although im sure there are members chomping at the bit to volunteer for range nazi duties.

Like people said it is a private club. Decisions were made that effects the entire membership. Those decisions that effect the membership should be transparent and should INVOLVE the membership.

OK. I usually am just a lurker on here but I have to say, what the hell man. These times are tough for everyone and I feel like Dan and the board did a fine job to get the club open as best as they can and as fast as they can. Dont forget that it is important for a club to maintain a healthy relationship with local PD.

And with respect to your second comment on transparency, you had your say when you voted in the club elections. We elect a board for a reason. If you really expected them to email every member and take a freakin' doodle poll or some sh*t every time a decision had to be made then nothing would ever get done. If you really feel passionate about this and have any follow-through in your bones, then I hope to see you at the next member meeting, we can have a spirited discussion in a ligament public forum.

I volunteer 100 percent of my salary to the compensation fund as well as offering the keys to the kingdom.
Dan, you're doing a great job. I hope that all of your volunteer efforts at the club haven't added to much additional stress to your life during these jacked-up times. Hope to see you on the range soon.

Wonder what the likelihood is of getting USPSA/IDPA matches back....Seems like it may be a long time.

I can't speak for Harvard, but I don't expect to see matches until "no gatherings greater than x people" type of things are lifted.

Yes, we have had discussions about 5 person squads, and all of the other precautions, but if you really think it through, it will suck and not be worthwhile to host a match.

Boston Gun and Rifle Association sent this out today:
Hello Members:

The BGRA will be open to MEMBERS ONLY starting this Saturday at 9am. NO GUESTS WHATSOEVER until further notice.

COVID-19 Precautions must be followed:

Masks at all times - please bring your own. We do have an emergency club supply, but we do not want to run low.

Wash hands immediately upon arrival and at reasonable intervals during your stay.

Bring your own hand sanitizer and use it often. We do have a club supply of hand sanitizer, but we do not want to run low.

Keep the government-mandated 6-foot distance from others. Shooting lanes will be marked to preserve social distancing.

If it’s been a while since you’ve come to shoot, here are the Member Hours:

M-F: 2p - 10p (last starting time no later than 9:15p)

Sat: 9a - 10p (last starting time no later than 9:15p)

Sun: 9a - 6p (last starting time no later than 5:15p)

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to text or email me.

Can’t wait to see you back - masked and at a distance.

And as always, SAFETY FIRST!

Best to all,

Gary K.
Senior Firearms Instructor

So the alternative to sucky/lame CoronaV matches is NO matches ? Sorry guys, I'm gonna take sucky/lame to start and believe that we can put our heads together and figure out a way to make it work until the dumpster fire that is the country returns to something resembling normal.

So the alternative to sucky/lame CoronaV matches is NO matches ? Sorry guys, I'm gonna take sucky/lame to start and believe that we can put our heads together and figure out a way to make it work until the dumpster fire that is the country returns to something resembling normal.

Do you mean this as a paying customer, or as a host? I don't know who you are even though we have probably met at a match.

Do you mean this as a paying customer, or as a host? I don't know who you are even though we have probably met at a match.

Both.

Help host matches at Marshfield, pay to shoot at Old Colony and MoBeach.

My point is that I'd rather begin to figure out how to resume matches (or at least something that resembles a match) under these conditions imposed by Covid than wait until someone/something decides "all clear, return to what you were doing pre-Covid."

Smaller squads, less stages, masks, purell baths....let's collectively start to figure out what works and what does not. I've got a feeling we're going to be dealing with this for awhile....

Received the email today that Granby Bow and Gun Club is closed until May 4 including the indoor and outdoor ranges. The club will do maintenance on outdoor ranges during this period.
I've not received an email from them since the one about the cancellation of the December meeting. I did see on their website that they were closed till the 4th. I just sent a message on FB and got a reply that they are open. They said they sent out emails but I didn't receive one, did you? Unfortunately we still can't use the covered firing line and we have to shoot off to the right side of it and it's only out to 350yds. Good that it's open anyway.

I've not received an email from them since the one about the cancellation of the December meeting. I did see on their website that they were closed till the 4th. I just sent a message on FB and got a reply that they are open. They said they sent out emails but I didn't receive one, did you? Unfortunately we still can't use the covered firing line and we have to shoot off to the right side of it and it's only out to 350yds. Good that it's open anyway.
I received two emails from them.

One yesterday that has info you referenced. The earlier one was April 24

Went to Springfield Sportsman Club today.

Felt good.

I see they are installing an electronic gate at the pistol and 100 yard range.

My son and I went hiking for a couple hours at Harold Parker this afternoon and heard nothing but steady shooting the whole time. The sound made me smile.

Both.

Help host matches at Marshfield, pay to shoot at Old Colony and MoBeach.

My point is that I'd rather begin to figure out how to resume matches (or at least something that resembles a match) under these conditions imposed by Covid than wait until someone/something decides "all clear, return to what you were doing pre-Covid."

Smaller squads, less stages, masks, purell baths....let's collectively start to figure out what works and what does not. I've got a feeling we're going to be dealing with this for awhile....

I shot a 3-gun match on this past Sunday with five-man squads and most people were in favor of the five-man squads. Some people grumbled about having to shoot in the afternoon, but I suspect that the "market" for spots will even out and the morning guys will self-select into morning slots and the afternoon/late sleepers will self-select into the midday slots.

The major disadvantage is that, with five-man squads, the stages have to have less reset. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing because I could foresee it creating more innovative stage designs.

Personally, Braintree Pistol and Rifle Club can suck it. They had zero willingness to waive $10/month late fees for those laid off from COVID-19. Their answer was "should have paid in December". Well, chuckles, I always paid in May since I joined in May and it's a yearly membership (d'uh) why the hell would I have paid earlier (not being Nostradamus, I didn't predict a global pandemic). I get it, $10-$50 bucks is "nothing". It was the principle. Especially when they had to close and they knew full well we would be paying for something we could not access.

Personally, Braintree Pistol and Rifle Club can suck it. They had zero willingness to waive $10/month late fees for those laid off from COVID-19. Their answer was "should have paid in December". Well, chuckles, I always paid in May since I joined in May and it's a yearly membership (d'uh) why the hell would I have paid earlier (not being Nostradamus, I didn't predict a global pandemic). I get it, $10-$50 bucks is "nothing". It was the principle. Especially when they had to close and they knew full well we would be paying for something we could not access.
No it is NOT a "yearly membership". BR&P membership year is from Jan 1 to Dec 31. They give you until March to pay before adding a late fee. I was a member there for 20 years and only quit due to moving to NH. Similarly I'm still a member at Mansfield F&G and their membership year is Sept 1 to Aug 31, so no matter when you join, your membership expires at the end of the club's fiscal year.

Back
Top Bottom