• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Club closure megathread

I don't know enough about where each town ends and where each begins to challenge you. I know that others have said the gate is in Boxboro. I leave HSC by turning right. I think that puts me in littleton. I really need to look at a map.

It is littleton county rd in Harvard. if you turn right when you leave you eventually get to littleton. If you turn left you eventually run into 111 and if you turn left you hit boxborough. It is not far from the boxborough line as the crow flies but road connectivity to boxborough is not close. There is a back entrance to the Cisco built facility a ways down the road from HSC that will more quickly get you into boxborough but it is closed except to emergency vehicles.

once you apply for an exemption you are de-facto stipulating acceptance that that interpretation is correct and valid.
So, don't apply for the exemption and open up the ranges for shooting...?
Can a member walk in and start shooting without ramifications...?

I don't know enough about where each town ends and where each begins to challenge you. I know that others have said the gate is in Boxboro. I leave HSC by turning right. I think that puts me in littleton. I really need to look at a map.
I took a minute earlier to look at HSC on the OLIVER GIS viewer. The BLUE areas are HSC. It's a little tough to see under the lot borders, but the front gate (in Lot 995 REAR) is in Harvard. Turning Right carries you into Littleton. I'm sure this is an incomplete map, but it should be enough for the conversation we're having.
HSC_GIS.jpg

As far as I can tell on the map, Little County Road is in Harvard, as is the turn into the club driveway obviously. As soon as you start down the driveway, you enter Boxborough - the gate itself might be in Harvard or Boxborough, I have no idea, it's too close to call on a map.

So, a sliver of Harvard and a huge chunk is Boxborough and maybe 1/5th Littleton? How'd they come up with the name...?

So, don't apply for the exemption and open up the ranges for shooting...?
Can a member walk in and start shooting without ramifications...?
Members are obligated to follow the directives of the clubs, and the clubs are playing ball when given orders rather than fight them.

No club yet has stood up and said "We will not close, please take action against us if you disagree". The next step is a $300 fine, and $500 after that with the possibility of imprisonment (duration unspecified) for the 3rd offense (I'm not sure if they lock up the club president, the entire board or the practical shooting props and plate racks). The downside is the PD can levy a fine for each violation so you would have to hold off once you got the first one .... and a day in court at least several months out.

It's sloppily worded and written with the assumption that closing ceases the activity. No mention of penalty for using a closed facility.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell on the map, Little County Road is in Harvard, as is the turn into the club driveway obviously. As soon as you start down the driveway, you enter Boxborough - the gate itself might be in Harvard or Boxborough, I have no idea, it's too close to call on a map.
Instead of doing real work today, I'm chasing this question. Assuming OLIVER is accurate, the Grey line is the border of Harvard and Boxborough. I put the Red line where gate is (within some reasonable tolerance). It would appear that while the entrance to the club is in Harvard, the gate is already in Boxborough.

1586375478392.png

Harvard Sportsmens Club was just shut down yesterday by the Town and local LEs. You can still enter the site to walk around, but shooting has been stopped. That's total crap.
\
Sounds like a neighbor who is now stuck at home has been complaining or something. If you can still go there and walk around then it doesn't have anything to do with social distancing. it's only about gunz.

Lol. Looks like there were plenty of nice places in Harvard to shoot... If you don't mind hitting Apple trees.
So, they were basically using Boxborough as a lead dump?
Clearly, Boxboro deserved it. ;)

My understanding is that they started buying whatever land they could as it became available. I'm sure Woburn Sportsmen's in Bedford has a similar story...

Clearly, Boxboro deserved it. ;)

My understanding is that they started buying whatever land they could as it became available. I'm sure Woburn Sportsmen's in Bedford has a similar story...

Unfortunately, it's the opposite.

If I have the story correct:

A developer wanted to put stuff on the original WSA land in Woburn, so they gave WSA a big chunk of money and the land WSA is currently on.... plus another 100 acres across the street (west side of Middlesex Tpke) At some point WSA "sold" all that land across the street to The Boy Scouts of America... for $1. Then the BSA sold it.

I don't know the timeline of when BSA got it and when they sold it, but it doesn't really matter. It should have been a loan or a lease or a "we can buy it back for $1" or something.

Gentlemen. I've been reviewing the bylaws.

My anger has changed to resolve. My resolve is to forever prohibit police training on HSC grounds.

We can do this. Bylaws can be changed at either the annual meeting in February or at a special meeting.

The bylaws say this about calling a special meeting.

Special Meetings may be called at any time by the President or a majority of the Board of Directors.
The President, on written request of fifteen (15) voting members, shall be required to call a Special Meeting.
Any Special Meeting shall require at least thirty (30) days written notice

This means that if for any reason, Dan or the BOD won't call a meeting, we can force a special meeting with nothing more than the written request of 15 members.
I don't think that should be hard to get.

Once a special meeting is on the books, Article X defines the process for getting a bylaw change on the agenda as:

These bylaws may be amended by the members at any Annual or Special Meeting called for the purpose, by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those present and entitled to vote provided that intention to amend has been announced at a previous Directors meeting and that a copy of the proposed amendment, together with a notice of the
meeting using the forum, email, and signs posted at the club at least thirty (30) days prior to said meeting

So there it is. 15 requests gets the ball rolling. I have drafted a quick write up of the changes I'd like to see.

While we are at it, my thought was to change the date of the annual meeting. If you have kids youknow why. It always falls during February school break and many members can't attend because they are traveling with their families. Even Dan Hurley has had trouble attending the annual meeting.

This is what I've got so far.

Dear Sirs,

I would like to respectfully request that a special meeting be called to consider the following two changes to the Harvard Sportsmen’s Club Inc.’s bylaws. Referred to from this point forward as the “Club”.

1) Annual Meeting Date
The Annual Meeting falls on the 3rd Thursday in February per the bylaws. This coincides every year with February Break in all Massachusetts public schools.
Because people often travel with their children during this week, participation is substantially less at this meting than it could or should be.

In fact the Club President has had to miss the annual meeting because this date has conflicted with planned family travel. It would strengthen the club if more of its members could participate in the annual meeting. I have been a member for 8 years and have only been to 2 annual meetings because of this conflict.

My proposal is as follows. Change Article VI text, which currently reads

“The Annual Meeting of the club shall be held on the third Thursday of February of each year. “

To:
“The Annual Meeting of the club shall be held on the first Thursday of February each year. “. The actual date of the new meeting is less important than that it not fall on a date when MA schools are on vacation.

2) Police department use of Club property

Because of the lack of support from local police departments during the Covid-19 crisis, I would like to add a new bylaw that reads.

“ No organized training of any public safety group to include Police Departments, SWAT organizations, or officers Officers organizations may be conducted on Club property. This applies only to organized departmental activities and does not affect individual officers who are members of the Club”.

Thoughts??

Not unreasonable.
A relationship implies that two parties are agreeable to it and benefit from it.
I want you to be my pal and use your stuff , but I'm going in dry the second the sociopath in Boston snaps her fingers does not constitute a mutually beneficial relationship.

They are NOT old lanes. Looking at the photo on the top right of the 300 is old Xmas tree farm and the roads around it. Next two clearings down are clearings from forestry work (create areas of new growth and beneficial native plantings), bottom area (closest to access road) is old road where the old test wells (now capped) use to be. There are a series of paths / roads connecting all the areas. Access is path / road between archery and 300 ranges. Nice area to walk and see wildlife.
Clear cuts are generally done on a long-term (decades) plan from a qualified forrester and designed for sustainability. One clue that this what you see here is the way a buffer of uncut trees has been left around the perimeter so those diving by don't see clear cut areas.

... is still open?
... has closed?
... has a town name different from their location?

I haven't been a member in 25 years. It is much more a social club located between Mt Hood Golf Course and Route 1 Saugus. Here is an unofficial page. I don't know where their current postings are. There are threads here on NES about it.

I was a member of Melrose F&G many years ago, had my HS Graduation party there too. Was a nice place, didn't think it still existed though.

Not a gun club, but Malden Anglers is in Saugus.

UPDATE - Just saw this on the Leominster Sportsmen's Association website.
If the reason they did not send out an email wasn't because they were too embarrassed to send one, then it should have been.

ATTENTION: The RIFLE RANGE is CLOSED until further notice!
We will reopen once we’re able to get clarity from the state as to whether the declaration of range closings applies to private clubs.

Absolute horseshit in my opinion.

🐯

The Board of the Lowell Sportsmen's Club voted Tuesday night to close the club to any activity (except law enforcement training) effective April 11th. No one is thrilled with the decision, but under the circumstances, the Board felt it best to err on the side of member health and safety.

you need a new BOD.

I have nothing against cops, except the privilege they expect and get at every turn in this state. From the gun exemptions, to the fact that they do 90mph in the left lane without any lights/siren on, expecting everything in their path to pull over. Obviously "above the law" to us average peons.

if the range is closed due to virus safety concerns, it should be closed to EVERYBODY.

Back
Top Bottom