Gun Club closure megathread

sEgkl8t.jpg

šŸÆ

Purgatory Falls Fish and Game in MV NH is open

"Range Status: The Executive Board of Directors have been reviewing the ongoing COVID-19 situation and debated long and hard about closing down all operations for an extended period of time. Although there are strong arguments for doing this, it is the consensus that we allow the range to remain open at this time to members and for club-sanctioned activities such as Shotgun, which will be up and running tomorrow.

Members are cautioned to exercise good hygiene habits before, during and after a visit to the range, maintain the six-foot social distancing recommended by the CDC, and refrain from coming to the range if you have a known exposure to the virus or you have tested positive for it. In the latter two cases we hope that you'll both self-isolate and contact medical authorities immediately to acquire the care you need."

From the President of Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club posted on their website:

Worcester Pistol Rifle Club ā€“ A Safe Place To Shoot

NOTICES **

URGENT NOTICE

UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

FOLLOWING CARONAVIRUS PROTOCALS

• IF YOU ARE SICK, STAY HOME
  • MAINTAIN SOCIAL DISTANCING, 6 FT APART
  • INDOOR RANGE ā€“ ONLY USE LEFT, RIGHT, AND MIDDLE LANES, 3 SHOOTERS MAX AT A TIME
  • USE RUBBER GLOVES IF YOU HAVE THEM
  • USE DISINFECTANT WIPES ON ALL AREAS YOU TOUCH, BEFORE AND AFTER YOU SHOOT
  • BATHROOMS SHOULD BE WIPED DOWN WITH DISINFECTANT WIPES BEFORE AND AFTER EACH USE
  • WASH HANDS FOR AT LEAST 20 SECONDS FREQUENTLY
  • MEMBERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR BRINGING GLOVES AND WIPES

PLEASE FOLLOW THESE PROTOCALS. THE LAST OPTION WILL BE TO CLOSE THE CLUB

DUE TO THE GOVERNORS BAN ON MEETINGS OVER 10 PEOPLE, WE ARE CANCELLING THE APRIL 2ND MONTHLY MEETING.

Albert F. Bonofiglio, Jr., President

Remember the last bullet point:

• MEMBERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR BRINGING GLOVES AND WIPES

Jay

Pelham Fish & Game Club-Temporarily Suspended:
Indoor range; Trap fields; Decarolis Bldg; Fox Hall. Additionally, No guests. Non members will not be allowed on the property. Went into affect @ midnight on Friday the 27th.

MidState Guns in RI is re-opening their indoor range:

In Accordance with the Executive Order 20-13 issued on March 28, 2020:

1. We ask that all customers respect the Six (6) foot social distancing standards established by health officials. This includes within the store, classroom area, range area and parking lot waiting to enter.

2. We are restricted to five (5) customer within the store. If you notice, or we establish that we have reached that maximum number we request that you wait in your car until that time that our current number has been reduced.

3. Due to the high volume of firearm purchases, If you have made a purchase on a firearm, we will call you when your state paperwork AND your firearm are in the building. The town has been exceptional in returning BCI paperwork, but our vendors have not been as responsive. Please be patient and we will call you.

4. IF you feel that your wait has been excessive, you can call. We will need the date on TOP of your white slip, your name, and the firearm being picked up. Be patient, our phone has not stopped ringing.

5. If you have not received your Blue Card, that is a DEM issue, not us. Give them time to process all the paperwork that has been sent to them.

Update on Granite State indoor range... they are ONLY open for people with a membership.

I'm not sure the interpretation of the order is correct and a "club" is not a "business" in the traditional sense of the word. The other factor is that gun club ranges are not generally open to the public, and those that have public hours have generally been discontinuing those until TEOTWAWKI passes.

As a matter of practicality, the real risk of keeping the outdoor ranges open is being told to shut them down. Naturally, this would need to include police use of the range.

Last edited:
East Warren in RI is going to remain closed at least until 4/13:

Unfortunately we will be remaining closed until at least April 13 due to the recent stay at home order and no way for us to keep up with the suggested cleaning and disinfecting process.

I checked the exact wording:

"Governor Charlie Bakerā€™s emergency order requiring that all businesses and organizations that do not provide ā€œCOVID-19 Essential Servicesā€ close their physical workplaces and facilities to workers, customers and the public will be extended until May 4. "​

Gun clubs do not have customers and are generally not open to the public. A reasoned approach would be to limit use to outdoor facilities only until TEOTWAWKI passes.

Last edited:
Keep your distance, wash/sanitize your hands frequently, and stick to the outdoor ranges.

I can say for sure that being able to hit the range with my son the past couple weekends has been a huge morale boost for myself and for him. Plus my wife gets some time to herself to decompress.

We did have to adjust our plans a bit since the range we originally wanted to shoot at already had enough people there that adding another group wasn't feasible while keeping appropriate distances from each other. We hit a different range, and all was well.

"Governor Charlie Bakerā€™s emergency order requiring that all businesses and organizations that do not provide ā€œCOVID-19 Essential Servicesā€ close their physical workplaces and facilities to workers, customers and the public will be extended until May 4. close their physical workplaces and facilities to workers, customers and the public"​

Gun clubs do not have customers and are generally not open to the public. A reasoned approach would be to limit use to outdoor facilities only until TEOTWAWKI passes.

Even if a non-essential businesses or organization is not open to the public and doesn't have customers on site, they generally still have to close their facilities (houses of worship exempted).

If you continue to read the order though, in Section 3, second paragraph, you'll find there is a general exemption for "unenclosed, outdoor areas" provided the social distancing can be maintained. Thus, reading the recent guidance for the order, even some non-essential businesses are allowed to continue, like landscaping, if they can do so outdoors while social distancing.

I'm trying to find a link to the order in "original form" - not an HTML navigable page that makes it hard to look at or search the entire thing. I'm interested in what part of the order states is extends to private orgs not open to the public, and also want to read the Section 3 you referred to. Thanks.

I'm trying to find a link to the order in "original form" - not an HTML navigable page that makes it hard to look at or search the entire thing. I'm interested in what part of the order states is extends to private orgs not open to the public, and also want to read the Section 3 you referred to. Thanks.

March 23rd Order, which was recently extended:

Guidance on how to comply with Order:

The FAQ: COVID-19 Essential Services FAQs

And the general "essential orders" page that has these links is here

Keep your distance, wash/sanitize your hands frequently, and stick to the outdoor ranges.

I can say for sure that being able to hit the range with my son the past couple weekends has been a huge morale boost for myself and for him. Plus my wife gets some time to herself to decompress.

We did have to adjust our plans a bit since the range we originally wanted to shoot at already had enough people there that adding another group wasn't feasible while keeping appropriate distances from each other. We hit a different range, and all was well.
Yup. I've been going to my local outdoor range at least twice per week and lately I've had the whole range to myself. Based on previous conversations I had with other members, I think many aren't going because of their lack of ammo and the corona crap. Sucks many didn't buy the ammo cheap and stack it deep...

"Governor Charlie Bakerā€™s emergency order requiring that all businesses and organizations that do not provide ā€œCOVID-19 Essential Servicesā€ close their physical workplaces and facilities to workers, customers and the public will be extended until May 4. "​

Sadly, it says "businesses and organizations" and it would be hard to argue that a club is not an organization.

Sadly, it says "businesses and organizations" and it would be hard to argue that a club is not an organization.
Yeah but the exemptions in the order would be easy to follow and allow outdoor ranges to stay open. My local range has been dead on the weekends. Sometimes there might be one other member but there's 10+ benches so it's easy to follow social distancing. And my club has already closed the range to the public so we're covered there.

Bingo. They aren't covered and to the extent they simply limit indoor services, they are good.

Even if a non-essential businesses or organization is not open to the public and doesn't have customers on site, they generally still have to close their facilities (houses of worship exempted).

If you continue to read the order though, in Section 3, second paragraph, you'll find there is a general exemption for "unenclosed, outdoor areas" provided the social distancing can be maintained. Thus, reading the recent guidance for the order, even some non-essential businesses are allowed to continue, like landscaping, if they can do so outdoors while social distancing.
Right, so they don't need to shut down. They just need to limit indoor activities. At gun clubs, this is easy. People are doing way more than these orders require.

Back
Top Bottom