Gun Club closure megathread

North Worcester Fox and Coon Club

All meetings closed
Trap shooting ? Nothing official
Clubhouse closed for any gatherings. You can use the john when the water’s on. It’s off now.

Outdoor range........is open!
Will update as info comes in

Edit: this may be just the rumor mill going full speed.
“What’s this trash coming out of Baker’s mouth now about him flip flopping on the ranges NOT being essential? Any source?”

Last edited:
Bingo. They aren't covered and to the extent they simply limit indoor services, they are good.
Sadly again, the order doesn't seem to be limited to indoor organizations' activities. The authoritahs probably wouldn't bother some organizations, but I doubt they'd look the other way with gunz involved.

Sadly again, the order doesn't seem to be limited to indoor organizations' activities. The authoritahs probably wouldn't bother some organizations, but I doubt they'd look the other way with gunz involved.

C1EOu1S.png

🐯

There is no need for clubs to chicken little it and close outdoor ranges, provided the setup allows for appropriate distancing. When I hit the range during TEOTWAWKI I won't get out to shoot unless I have an entire pit myself. That's 50ft of social distance, partially blocked by an earthern berm.

As Terraformer confirmed, there is credible reason to believe that a private membership club allowing non congregationist activities outdoors is in compliance. But, this is not like trying to guess if anyone will ever call you out on that misdafelony - there is no real downside if your overlords disagee. The first offense penalty is a warning; the second offense is $300. So, at most, your club is risking a talking to which, depending on the political environment and relationship with the local town, could result in anything from "stay open and meet us in court" to "OK, as long as you've closed the building you are fine.".

Clubs should make their outdoor range decision based on what is safe, not out of fear they might get warned.

Last edited:
Centralville Sportsmen's Club, Dracut, MA is now closed until further notice.
I was the last one on the range today and got an email when I got home.

Pissed, I wrote this email to them:

To The Centralville Sportsmen’s Club President and Board of Directors:

By bowing to the whims of a panicking Governor in what is clearly an Unconstitutional and poorly thought out move, The CSC Board of Directors has failed to show the fortitude that this once proud Sportsmen’s Club had in its past.

You could have and should have fought against this important issue and its lingering effects on its Body of Members.

At minimum, the outdoor range, which offers more than enough protective distance between members as well as the open-air conditions which are favorable for safe use, should be kept open.

You have made a poor choice, ladies and gentlemen that effects the safety and well-being of the full membership.

By closing the ranges you put each and every member who relies on his or her firearm for the defense of themselves and their families at risk. Self Defense by firearm requires constant training and improvement.

You have chosen to impede that critical training.

Shame on you.

~Enbloc

There is no need for clubs to chicken little it and close outdoor ranges, provided the setup allows for appropriate distancing. When I hit the range during TEOTWAWKI I won't get out to shoot unless I have an entire pit myself. That's 50ft of social distance, partially blocked by an earthern berm

Good for you for joining a club that gives you your own private pit. Please let us know which chub we can all join that affords us of such luxury. Until then, we'll just assume that's totally BS, or at the very least, not an option available to the rest of us living mortals.

And if you need to practice for TEOTWAWKI then I think you started too late!

Last edited:
Good for you for joining a club that gives you your own private pit. Please let us know which chub we can all join that affords us of such luxury. Until then, we'll just assume that's totally BS, or at the very least, not an option available to the rest of us living mortals.
I'll be glad to let you know so you can start the membership process at each (I am a member of both). I've also include links to the Google Maps aerial view so you can see the pits.

It's not like we give each member a private pit. We (Hopkinton, my most local club) have a 100 yard rifle range (a couple of positions pushed out to 200) and 6 outdoor shooting pits. It is rare to find all pits in use, even on a weekend (hasn't happened to me .... yet), but sometimes a 30ft pit (3) is all that is available because the 30 yard ones (3) are all taken. Harvard has considerably more pits, plus separate short range covered shooting positions, a 100 yard range, and a 200/300 yard range.

Of course, this does not apply when certain scheduled events are in progress at either of these clubs.

Last edited:
I'll be glad to let you know so you can start the membership process at each (I am a member of both):

Hopkinton Sportsmens Association​
Harvard Sportsmens Club​

It's not like we give each member a private pit. We (Hopkinton, my most local club) have a 100 yard rifle range (a couple of positions pushed out to 200) and 6 outdoor shooting pits. It is rare to find all pits in use, even on a weekend (hasn't happened to me .... yet), but sometimes a 30ft pit (3) is all that is available because the 30 yard ones (3) are all taken. Harvard has considerably more pits, plus separate short range covered shooting positions, a 100 yard range, and a 200/300 yard range.

Of course, this does not apply when certain scheduled events are in progress at either of these clubs.

Awesome sauce. Problem solved for anyone complaining--they can contact you and everything the state has obstructed will be solved by you!

I'm trying, but the system does not always cooperate. Ever hear of Comm2A or have you been too busy in your activities to improve things to notice?

I have heard of it. What are you trying to prove now--that your aforementioned claims should not be questioned because now you're claiming something completely different?

Not impressed.

Tell us how we can all be like you and have a private pit to ourselves!

Not trying to cinch down the tinfoil too tightly, but wouldn't it be prudent to limit this thread to closed notices and STFU regarding open outdoor ranges? If someone needs help getting to an open range do it by PM?

Not picking on anyone, just making the suggestion for the good of us all.

And if you need to practice for TEOTWAWKI then I think you started too late!

I don't have my own private pit, but I've never gone to my club and not been able to shoot in a pit by myself unless there's a scheduled match - which I'm generally shooting in.

17 South currently has (5) tactical pits, a 25 yard pistol range, a 100 yard rifle range, a 100 meter rifle range, a 25 meter pistol range, a 500 yard rifle range, (2) skeet fields, a trap field, 5-Stand, sporting clays, a .22 range and an archery range.

We're currently adding 5 more tactical pits by the 500 yard rifle range, two more pits down by the existing (5) pits, and a pit by the .22 range (I don't know what that one's for).

We have a stocked pond, a clubhouse with a full bar and kitchen, a pro shop - and we're privately owned.

No bullshit rules about rate of fire or firearm restrictions. You have to keep your shots within the berm - and you have to qualify to use the long distance rifle range.

There's a waiting list, but if you'd like to join, PM me and I'll tell you how to get in touch with the owners.

Located on route 17, Fleming, Georgia.

I checked the exact wording:

"Governor Charlie Baker’s emergency order requiring that all businesses and organizations that do not provide “COVID-19 Essential Services” close their physical workplaces and facilities to workers, customers and the public will be extended until May 4. "​

Gun clubs do not have customers and are generally not open to the public. A reasoned approach would be to limit use to outdoor facilities only until TEOTWAWKI passes.
Sadly, it says "businesses and organizations" and it would be hard to argue that a club is not an organization.

Read it again.

It says, “workers, customers, or the public”

Clubs have members, not employees or customers.

I don't think rob is practing for tewaki more than likely he,s practicing for the up coming uspsa season which has been delayed, perhaps some dry firing would be a more productive use of your time rather than worrying about clubs with pits that you aren't a member of as its a little late for that at this point

Not trying to cinch down the tinfoil too tightly, but wouldn't it be prudent to limit this thread to closed notices and STFU regarding open outdoor ranges? If someone needs help getting to an open range do it by PM?

Not picking on anyone, just making the suggestion for the good of us all.

Agreed, the purpose of this thread is to report what ranges are closed, closing, or opening. There's like three threads on the Mass governor's various executive orders. This thread is basically a list. Not a place for discussion of the merits of whether the list should exist. A lot of people on here don't care what happens in Mass. This thread isn't just about what happens in Mass. This is all New England states. The Mass guys have their own threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, so they don't need to shut down. They just need to limit indoor activities. At gun clubs, this is easy. People are doing way more than these orders require.
I am seeing a lot of closures driven by whats best described as armflapping fuddery. Some of them even think Bakers edict applies to their club etc. One guy on a club BOD told me "Mike, it's insane the president called me and said they shut the whole club down, without any discussion whatsoever with the BOD" etc. It seems like "all club buildings and meetings/closed" is too complicated or something. Most could keep their outdoor ranges open with little risk to members.

-Mike

I am seeing a lot of closures driven by whats best described as armflapping fuddery. Some of them even think Bakers edict applies to their club etc. One guy on a club BOD told me "Mike, it's insane the president called me and said they shut the whole club down, without any discussion whatsoever with the BOD" etc. It seems like "all club buildings and meetings/closed" is too complicated or something. Most could keep their outdoor ranges open with little risk to members.

-Mike

I just had to quote this for "armflapping fuddery."

In NH, my club (Groveton Fish & Game) is open. Meetings are suspended, but the (100% outdoors) range is open.

We're a bit less formal. The club FB page today posted (paraphrase): "If you're self-quarantined, DO NOT USE THE RANGE! I can't believe we have to tell people this!"

;)

Tell us how we can all be like you and have a private pit to ourselves!
I already did - apply for membership at the Hopkinton or Harvard club. That will probably have to wait until after things open up again, as you need to get to know someone who can then sponsor your for membership - similar procedure at both clubs. Did you check out the aerial views to see what I meant about numerous pits, and why there are very excellent chances you will have one to yourself when you show up as a member to use one? You seem to have a hard time grasping that concept.

When the current state of affairs is over, I can show you around Hopkinton, shoot a bit, and most likely sponsor you for membership. Unfortunately, I can't invite you as a guest now because club rules require that the member be close to the guest when (s)he is shooting.

Once accepted for membership, you would be issued a card key for self-serve access to the ranges, and the exact same access to grab a pit as the club president (some of us call him ElPrez) and board members (no, I am not a club officer). My ability to grab an unused pit is no different from any other member's.

I don't think rob is practicing for tewaki more than likely he,s practicing for the up coming uspsa season which has been delayed, perhaps some dry firing would be a more productive use of your time rather than worrying about clubs with pits that you aren't a member of as its a little late for that at this point
Close. Boredom relief in a safe environment not near any virus containers (people).

I have heard of it. What are you trying to prove now--that your aforementioned claims should not be questioned because now you're claiming something completely different?
I was responding to your sarcastic comment about me solving all gun owners problems in MA. I have helped solve some of them. Ask any LTC holding permanent resident alien or MJ conflict with an LTC. There is no appeal to authority in my claims - I have provided specific info and even photographic verification.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom