• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Club closure megathread

.... And none of the PDs pay a nickle to use the facilities.

You say that like it's 100% true, but I don't think it is. At least one club derives about 10% of its revenue from contracts with PDs and similar. (if the information I got was correct, obvously)

I served on the board of one gun club for 14 yrs and another for a few months (temp-from resignation of prior BOD member to election) and can tell you that probably only a handful of MA clubs have the balls to tell the PDs to go elsewhere. It's truly sad but they worry too much about retribution for standing their ground. And none of the PDs pay a nickle to use the facilities.

I'm a new member at Londonderry F&G and it seems apparent that they don't stand for nonsense and challange anything they don't feel is right. They put the call out to light up the Email and phones of town officials and the officials immediately backed down with some BS story that it was all a hoax to cover their asses. I'm damn proud of this club!!
There it is, in a nutshell. Most Mass. gun owners and gun club officers are pussies and will roll over like a beat dog at the first site of the cops or an elected servant of the people. Since I have been here in New Hampshire, I have noticed and with few exceptions that we don't play that way.

There it is, in a nutshell. Most Mass. gun owners and gun club officers are pussies and will roll over like a beat dog at the first site of the cops or an elected servant of the people. Since I have been here in New Hampshire, I have noticed and with few exceptions that we don't play that way.

Keep in mind NH doesn’t have an arbitrary license to posses firearms.

I’m on a BOD and a real concern to me is the local CoP revoking every LTC in town as retribution if things got contentious.

Fortunately, we have good relationships with many local deptartments and the MSP, and it’s only getting better during this crisis.

I’m on a BOD and a real concern to me is the local CoP revoking every LTC in town as retribution if things got contentious.

Fortunately, we have good relationships with many local deptartments and the MSP, and it’s only getting better during this crisis.
There it is right there, Folks. This exactly what I have said, This only empowers the cops to become bigger thugs. This is how Organized Crime works.

Last edited:
You need good relations with the PD. Express concern for their welfare:

You shut us down because it was determined that using the range poses an infection risk. While we appreciate your dedication, we cannot in good conscience subject your officers to a risk they are shielding us from, so the range must remain closed.

Lets see, so you join private club, pay your dues, only to be told by the 5-0 that you're barred from the private club that you belong to but thanks for paying your dues on time so that they can keep coming to the private club that the don't belong to and don't pay dues for.

How can anyone be okay with this?

Pisses me off to no end. Just renewed my yearly membership last week and now I'm told I can use the ranges for the next month because they're closed? But I'm sure all the PD trainings coming up are still going to happen.... 😡

You have a good relationship with an entity who might pull your license for a right on a whim?

You say that like it's 100% true, but I don't think it is. At least one club derives about 10% of its revenue from contracts with PDs and similar. (if the information I got was correct, obvously)

I'm glad that at least one club has the balls to charge them.

Revoking everyone in town is the definition of arbitrary and capricious. After they lose the massive 1983 lawsuit, the chief would lose his job as well. This is a ridiculous reason to bend over and take it dry!!!

Lol that's patently absurd. I realize this is MA and MA is pretty much f***ed, but that would be a big problem for the
chief.

-Mike
Amen!

I don't hate cops either, but maybe a little air-soft training is in order for them, until we can all use the ranges...

Lol that's patently absurd. I realize this is MA and MA is pretty much f***ed, but that would be a big problem for the
chief.

-Mike

That’s obviously an extreme example, but it’s not impossible. The arbitrary nature of the Ma LTC puts us all over a barrel when it comes to heavy handed police. This is true both for clubs and individuals. Most of us aren’t interested in the financial repercussions of sticking our neck out.

There are plenty of ways for the local police or town and city officials to make a club’s life miserable.

In the 1960's the Brits had Pirate Radio. Maybe it's time for Pirate Ranges...?

EquatorialRegularAnt-small.gif
Our Ancestors would be so ashamed of Us...

That’s obviously an extreme example, but it’s not impossible. The arbitrary nature of the Ma LTC puts us all over a barrel when it comes to heavy handed police. This is true both for clubs and individuals. Most of us aren’t interested in the financial repercussions of sticking our neck out.

There are plenty of ways for the local police or town and city officials to make a club’s life miserable.
Paranoid is an understatement.

My odds of winning powerball are better than a chief pulling an LTC over a club closure protest.

Further if clubs don't stand against this crap they leave themselves more open to the "town making their lives miserable" in the future.

-Mike

In the case of the Lowell Sportsmen's Club, the Middlesex Sheriffs qualify their officers there, which they need to do to maintain their licenses and keep doing their jobs. Local police requested to use the range to qualify recent graduates from the academy so they can likewise get on the job quickly. In both cases, they have extensive disinfection protocols, with one officer staying about an hour afterward wiping down every surface they touched (including the brass cleanup rakes), bagging up every bit of trash they produced, and taking it all away with them. They also provide all of their own wipes, sprays, gloves, and masks. This same procedure would not happen with all of our members, so the board was okay with making a distinction in this case because the risk of infection is minimized and the community benefits during this crisis. No, it's not an ideal situation by any means, but it's the situation we've got. If anyone can make COVID-19 go away, please do.
You realize how idiotic it is to believe that a leo is somehow able to be trusted more to disinfect than a club member who has a stake in keeping their club safe and open? You should have told them if it's not safe to operate our club for us, than it's not safe to operate for you. It is inexcusable in my opinion to shut off members from their own club but allow law enforcement to use it.

Last edited:
You realize how idiotic it is to believe that a leo is somehow able to be trusted more to disinfect than a club member who has a stake in keeping their club safe and open? You should have told them outs not safe to operate our club for us, so it's not safe to operate for you. This is inexcusable in my opinion too shut off members from their own club but allow law enforcement to use it.
Well said Neil.
In both cases, they have extensive disinfection protocols, with one officer staying about an hour afterward wiping down every surface they touched (including the brass cleanup rakes), bagging up every bit of trash they produced, and taking it all away with them. They also provide all of their own wipes, sprays, gloves, and masks. This same procedure would not happen with all of our members, so the board was okay with making a distinction in this case because the risk of infection is minimized and the community benefits during this crisis. No, it's not an ideal situation by any means, but it's the situation we've got.
JFC I truly hope you don’t believe this load of 💩
Are you in LE??

The one thing I would say is that every club should have something in its by laws that if the range is closed to its members then it is closed period. If the members cannot shoot there then NO ONE shoots there.
This would be called the Serbu-Barrett protocol. Both have refused to sell 50BMG rifles to police in jurisdictions where civilians cannot own such weapony.

Back
Top Bottom