• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Cleaners/Oil - what are you using?

This... with Break-Free CLP being the prevalent one. Thank you Uncle Sam...

cleaner-jpg.270651

Artie Nailed it...

PS. Just removed a little surface rust on a Savage Bolt Action .22 that I found between the stock and the under-barrel and action using Kroil on a "Grey" 3M #7448 Ultra-Fine Scotch-Brite pad

with excellent results. (000 Steel wool be damned.)

Enbloc Says: "Don't forget to oil those areas you can't see..."

Last edited:
Weapon shield-smells like cinnamon

Eezox for rust prevention

Hornady one shot (dry lube) rust corrosion for my knives

I’ve tried Ballistol (love the smell) , hoppes (does the job the best) XF-7 and CLP. Love these products. Been rocking this one lately.
26BB45F1-61F8-4106-A1C3-0EC2384425B5.jpeg

The newer spray/foam Hoppe's (non-stinky) if there's lotsa fouling ....CLP on a boresnake

Where did all the Frog Lube guys go? The die hards were usually ones that bought into it because the salesmen at FS recommended it.

Frog Lube turns to wax in New England winters. It's modified coconut oil and unmodified coconut oil turns to wax at room temperature, so one can see how that can be a problem over time. It's an ok cleaner and good rust preventative, but really a shitty lube. There are much better non-toxic lubes and cleaners on the market at a MUCH better price point per ounce.

Wipe Out Tactical Advantage Bore Cleaner and TruRecoil Gun Oil. Both outstanding products that I have used for years!

I don't really know what the Old Ball and Chain uses to clean the guns after I get home from the range, just have to remind her to wipe her hands off real good so as to not to get it all over the primers when she's reloading the ammo.

most market gun oils & lubes are just relabeled off the shelf stuff , few if any are actually really engineered for firearms . what you want is a high grade synthetic oil / lube that bonds with the metal creating a polymer layer film of lubrication

WD40 for everything!
I know there are all these new fangled liquids out there. But WD40 is the very bestest of stuff in all my decades of shooting things off.
Works on wives too.. And I should know as I have had a few of them!

PS. If Bob Kraft had used it, he wouldn't be in the sticky mess he was caught in!

Attachments

• 2r7nz9.jpg
    2r7nz9.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 24
  • wd40.jpg.6253addfa05dc169a41d4e2a50ad3eda.jpg
    wd40.jpg.6253addfa05dc169a41d4e2a50ad3eda.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I used rem oil and what ever CLP was avaiLble for general service , bore cleaner? I have tried almost everything
Current products
Can of red “marine” grease. No idea who makes it. Been in the family for ever!
Gunzilla works and the bottle is big and should last 10 years or so
Bore cleaner ....Gun slick foaming bore cleaner when I see it on the shelf
Recently picked up Montana Extreme, will nock you out if not careful! GETS COPPER OUT. I used sweets prior but it will loose its strength before you use it up.

Mpro7 (cleaner and their bore solvent) + G96 as an oil. Mpro7 is non toxicity gets every bit of crud stripped off metal like a boss and G96 is an excellent petroleum product that won't break down with no VOCs.

Last edited:
I've been using Break Free CLP for the past few years. It does the job.

I'd like to shake the hand of the man who invented the Bore Snake. Love those things.

Lately for cleaning I have been using Simple Green Pro HD. Regular Simple Green is not recommended for aluminum alloys and some of the garden variety gun cleaners are not good for plastic or polymer. So the Pro HD in my opinion is a good choice for AR’s & Glocks. Then for lubing after cleaning it’s Breakfree CLP.

Lately, to clean, I use Hoppes, and brake cleaner on AR's and other semi's followed by Lucas Oil Gun oil. On rifles, quality bolts, I'll use Hoppes only followed by Lucas Gun Oil. On semi's, I pretty much soak the bolts, receiver with oil, their seeing the hard life, never had an issue. Now, I'm not running in fine blowing desert sand, that would be a different approach. I'm in North Carolina shooting at one of 3 ranges, backyard pistol and 300 yard range, neighbors 60 acre tactical training facility or a mile down the road at the farmers 1500 yard range.

if you want a good idea of whats in your cleaner just goolge the MSDS
BALLISTOLMATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET (cont.)TECHNICAL DATA SHEETS FOR BALLISTOLContentsBallistol contains medicinal grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and an oil from vegetal seeds. The mineral oil is unchlorinated and conforms to the specifications of US Pharmacopeia XX.

so basically its alcohol for cleaning and oils for protection. Mineral oil has been a rust preventive coating for ages. I like the stuff that smells the least.

Back
Top Bottom