Gun case heading to Mass. Supreme Court

It should be a rule of this forum that no comments on this subject will be permitted by anyone who has not at least read, if not read and re-read, Brother George's superbly drafted brief in this matter.

As a Billerica gun case heads to the state's highest court next week, the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, the International Brotherhood of Police Officers, Police Chiefs and other high-profile groups are urging the Supreme Judicial Court to reject the constitutional challenge to the state's safe firearm-storage law.

The police union should just stfu until the can guarantee sub-minute response times. And, of course, the other parties listed should just stfu.

"The brief cites the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control as saying as a result of the law, Massachusetts has achieved the lowest gun-death rate of any state in the United States. "

Statistics prove a different thing, don't they ?

This comment says it it all:
"The law does not save lives. Education about gun safety saves lives.

I can see it now. "Oh sure, you can own a gun. But it has to be disassembled, with each piece in a different room of the house, locked away in a steel box."

Kids play with guns because they are an item of mystery. Something cool. Something they saw in a cartoon or movie. Usually they don't know how they work, or even why they work. Teach them safety and responsibility and you will remove the curiosity factor that results in accidental deaths. "

"The brief cites the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control as saying as a result of the law, Massachusetts has achieved the lowest gun-death rate of any state in the United States. "

Statistics prove a different thing, don't they ?

This comment says it it all:
"The law does not save lives. Education about gun safety saves lives.

I can see it now. "Oh sure, you can own a gun. But it has to be disassembled, with each piece in a different room of the house, locked away in a steel box."

Kids play with guns because they are an item of mystery. Something cool. Something they saw in a cartoon or movie. Usually they don't know how they work, or even why they work. Teach them safety and responsibility and you will remove the curiosity factor that results in accidental deaths. "
Who is going to teach them? Clueless parents who are working mega-overtime to pay a huge morgage that they never should have been given to begin with, along with car payments for the all-options, gas-guzzling SUV that soccer moms have transformed into a suburban status symbol? How about schools? How many schools, especially here in MA, have a gun-safety program that is actually hands-on? A Hispanic police officer from Lowell PD visited a few of the schools in that city to deliver his "gun safety" lecture. Basically, it was don't touch and call 911 if you see a gun. This is not teaching kids safety and responsibility, but rather instilling a fearful response.

A Hispanic police officer from Lowell PD
How is the officer being Hispanic relevant?

As far as who will teach them, responsible parents come to mind and not with "Oh no gun run away". Are you suggesting that the state teach fire arms safety? Well they have, no guns all safe Mass is the crowning achievement of that policy. Hasn't worked all that well.

WE, the responsible and law abiding gun owners and their organizations.
Through what venue? If they are under 18 years of age, they cannot even take a hunter safety course without written parental permission. Are we going to visit the schools and offer hands-on gun safety courses? Chances of that happening lies somewhere between "slim" and "none".

How is the officer being Hispanic relevant?

As far as who will teach them, responsible parents come to mind and not with "Oh no gun run away". Are you suggesting that the state teach fire arms safety? Well they have, no guns all safe Mass is the crowning achievement of that policy. Hasn't worked all that well.
Lowell is largely Hispanic and Cambodian. Hispanics and Cambodians are the ones who commit most of the firearms-related crimes. The victims of the firearms-related crimes are also Hispanic and Cambodian. See the correlation? The only ones who line up at police stations and go through all of the hassle for FIDs and LTCs are the law-abiding citizens, who never were the problem to begin with. I guess Lowell PD would have a minority cop speak to the students because they would be more likely to listen to him than a white cop.

It should be a rule of this forum that no comments on this subject will be permitted by anyone who has not at least read, if not read and re-read, Brother George's superbly drafted brief in this matter.

It is a good read.

Yeah, I thought the arguments could have been a lot better. However, it didn't seem like all the justices were on the side of the state and out for blood, either.

Or perhaps I need my rose tinted glasses adjusted.

Yeah, I thought the arguments could have been a lot better. However, it didn't seem like all the justices were on the side of the state and out for blood, either.

Or perhaps I need my rose tinted glasses adjusted.

Yeah, they seemed to be looking at the issue objectively. Even the judge on the end (who had no idea what was going on) who said that she thought that no one should have firearms seemed to be judging objectively.

Last edited:
Through what venue? If they are under 18 years of age, they cannot even take a hunter safety course without written parental permission. Are we going to visit the schools and offer hands-on gun safety courses? Chances of that happening lies somewhere between "slim" and "none".

If parents have guns, then education should start at home, PERIOD. Firearms education does not need to be a licensed government sanctioned course. (obv that's different when applying for an LTC but that's a diff topic) Should I ever have kids, I will take them out to the range as soon as I feel comfortable doing so.

I'm watching the video and clearly neither the judges nor the DA read the Heller case. Also, what is this secure container that I can open in 3 seconds? I can think of two that come close but 3 seconds takes practice.

I still think a room or a house should be a "locked container". I know the law has argued against it, but tell me, what's the difference between a safe and a locked room if you're the only key holder?

Back
Top Bottom